950XL RM-1085 CV HK region change help

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just purchased the 950XL (white) from Expansys USA. It arrived today and to my dismay, after I powered the phone, language seemed to be in Japanese! Looking at the letters "CV HK" on the white label is making me think this phone's region/language was set up to be from Hong Kong.

I could be wrong but at any rate, how can I restore/reflash the phone to the American region and English language settings? I cannot make out the language or I would have already tried to navigate to the settings and time/date/region menus ;-].

Please help.

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Peter,

Phone actually behaved like it was turned on for the first time. It was in English and was immediately prompted to select my region and language.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Peter,

Phone actually behaved like it was turned on for the first time. It was in English and was immediately prompted to select my region and language.
if, after the spinning gears disappeared, the default language shown was English and the default country shown was united states, your phone is a united states version.

default language / country differ among different region variants. I live in hk and my phone's default language is traditional Chinese and default country is hong kong. certainly they can be changed but if I reset my phone, the language shown after the gears stopped spinning is Chinese.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the letters "CV HK" on the white label is making me think this phone's region/language was set up to be from Hong Kong.

Sounds like the phone is definitely Factory Unlocked and distributed to the Hong Kong market. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It is a common place to import from for outfits like Expansys. They favor it for the universal radio aspects. HK carriers use both the western style and the PAC style systems including mix and match FDD and TDD LTE systems.

If it is indeed an HK country variant and it started a setup with English / US perhaps it read location? So far as I know that would be a new feature...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, now that I think about it... I recently used WDRT to update the firmware version on my Lumia 1520.3 which is Factory Unlocked for the Latin American market. This required a new setup and my language and region were automatically English/US.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
If you have a sim card in the phone when resetting it, I believe that has something to do with default language and region. Maybe it's doing something with GPS but I doubt it.

Without any of that, your defaults are going to be based on whatever ROM it's loaded with.

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

On a side note, this white 950XL is a single sim version. Not the 2 sim version that is seen being sold in the Microsoft stores!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven