Where is Dan's 950XL review ?

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
He's probably in stupefied shock like the rest of us on how Microsoft released this as their latest "flagship". Nice phone but lots of problems and missing/questionable functionality.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
He's probably in stupefied shock like the rest of us on how Microsoft released this as their latest "flagship". Nice phone but lots of problems and missing/questionable functionality.

It amazes me how much of a step backwards Windows 10 Mobile is compared to WP 8.1. It's like NOTHING works properly and it's sickening. I loved the smoothness and overall snappy feel of previous versions of Windows Phone. Sadly that is long gone. Windows 10 Mobile takes FOREVER to boot up, has stuttery performance and crashes more often than a habitual drunk driver. At this stage, it's utter junk. Why did none of the reviewers that tested these phones report these issues?

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
It amazes me how much of a step backwards Windows 10 Mobile is compared to WP 8.1. It's like NOTHING works properly and it's sickening. I loved the smoothness and overall snappy feel of previous versions of Windows Phone. Sadly that is long gone.

I disagree. Mine is quite snappy. I'm running a 950XL and last I tried on my 640, it was pretty snappy, too.

Windows 10 Mobile takes FOREVER to boot up

I agree. It definitely takes a lot longer to boot than 8.1 did. I suspect it will get better, but there's also probably a lot more going on during the startup in 10 than there was in 8.1.

...and crashes more often than a habitual drunk driver. At this stage, it's utter junk. Why did none of the reviewers that tested these phones report these issues?

Given that people either love or hate this phone, with those who hate it saying it never works right, I have to wonder if it's a hardware/manufacturing problem and not as much of a software problem (although there are obviously some software problems, too).

I'm not discounting what others are seeing - I'm just not seeing it. My 950XL has frozen a few times in the last five weeks requiring a soft reset, but it's not constant or regular. It doesn't stutter and things run as I expect them too - with a few annoyances & glitches but certainly no showstoppers.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. Mine is quite snappy. I'm running a 950XL and last I tried on my 640, it was pretty snappy, too.

Mine is super smooth

I agree. It definitely takes a lot longer to boot than 8.1 did. I suspect it will get better, but there's also probably a lot more going on during the startup in 10 than there was in 8.1.

come on, it boots faster than most android phones (including high end phones), and we are comparing a simpler OS like WP8.x vs a more complex OS lile W10M.

Also, we are not rebooting the phone every minute, WP8.x takes some time to boot too. I can't understand how the boot time can be seen as something to look and criticize the device.

Given that people either love or hate this phone, with those who hate it saying it never works right, I have to wonder if it's a hardware/manufacturing problem and not as much of a software problem (although there are obviously some software problems, too).

I'm starting to believe that not all people are owning the phone, it is too easy to google "lumia 950 issues" and post it as an owner.

I'm not discounting what others are seeing - I'm just not seeing it. My 950XL has frozen a few times in the last five weeks requiring a soft reset, but it's not constant or regular. It doesn't stutter and things run as I expect them too - with a few annoyances & glitches but certainly no showstoppers.

The phone, if updated, works really fine.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It amazes me how much of a step backwards Windows 10 Mobile is compared to WP 8.1. It's like NOTHING works properly and it's sickening. I loved the smoothness and overall snappy feel of previous versions of Windows Phone. Sadly that is long gone. Windows 10 Mobile takes FOREVER to boot up, has stuttery performance and crashes more often than a habitual drunk driver. At this stage, it's utter junk. Why did none of the reviewers that tested these phones report these issues?

Nothing works properly: I can make calls, sms, take photos, videos, audio recordings, edit and read docs, use wifi, cellular (2G-4G), bluetooth, project my screen, play music, videos, browse, 6tag, whatsapp, find locations etc. This is a whole lot of "nothing that works properly"

Boot up time 45 seconds on lumia 1020 10586.63 (in 8.1 cyan it used to be 35 seconds) How long is "forever"? 45 seconds? 1 minute?

I'm sober and so is my phone. Hasn't crashed once in 3-4 months

Lumia 1020 user, no cortana

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that Dan put a full review in for the 950 as he got that one first, and then offered smaller little articles for the features that the 950XL has on top. Reviewing both in full would largely be the same content.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
He is probably waiting for a stable build on Lumia 950XL so that he can give a worthy review that this device deserves. May be he does not want to become the next Michael Fischer! Nope.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
He is probably waiting for a stable build on Lumia 950XL so that he can give a worthy review that this device deserves. May be he does not want to become the next Michael Fischer! Nope.
I appreciate honest reviews, whether they are positive or negative. I also feel that all of the Mobile Nations writers will provide honest reviews. Mobile Nations' sites are amongst the best, since they praise devices that are worthy of praise but do not hesitate to point out flaws in devices.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate honest reviews, whether they are positive or negative. I also feel that all of the Mobile Nations writers will provide honest reviews. Mobile Nations' sites are amongst the best, since they praise devices that are worthy of praise but do not hesitate to point out flaws in devices.

I am not questioning the honesty of Mobile Nations. But I have seen OTHER reviews that glorify the flaws and dilute the strengths of a device. How is that fair? I think that Dan's review is one of the best and I am waiting for his review of 950XL.

iPone

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

The new Xbox interface and Windows 10 are also real buggy, maybe due to unified systems?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The new Xbox interface and Windows 10 are also real buggy, maybe due to unified systems?

Don't use XBOX but Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 15 laptop runs pretty well! Initially there are issues but the everything is working great after the 1511 update. You should clean install windows 10.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Double tap working on the 1020? I have a 635 with 10 for testing, never expected it to do double tap. Lack of tap was a major reason for returning the XL.
1020 Win 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo