Wait For Offical W10M or Go Insider?

ngnetzky

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a Lumia 640 to replace my broken iPhone 5c, I have longed for a long time to dive back into Windows Phone. I've missed the platform. Anyways, should I wait for the offical W10M build, or should I take the leap and go insider? is W10M stable enough for daily use yet? I know they have the 950(XL) and the 550 out with W10M pre-installed, but it hasn't yet been released for older phones? So would older phones have problems with W10M? Pros/Cons?

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a 640 also and I'm on the last insiders build and my phone is running it really good. It depends really, supposedly on the 19th they will release win 10 mobile official build. Can't go wrong either way in my opinion

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting for the official, personally. To me, it's too much of a risk to go insider and not have things work the way they should, such as WiFi calling.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I personally have had no issues with the insider W10M. It runs great. While the 640 will be the "first" to get the upgrade, you have to consider if your 640 is branded as well. I have the AT&T variant so will have to wait on AT&T to release it OTA after the initial updates for the international variant.

ngnetzky

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
While the 640 will be the "first" to get the upgrade, you have to consider if your 640 is branded as well. I have the AT&T variant so will have to wait on AT&T to release it OTA after the initial updates for the international variant.

Yep, I do have a branded version, it's the AT&T GoPhone Version. This is my concern, been burned by carriers in the past and why I'm strongly considering going insider. The 635 (GoPhone variant) never got 8.1 update 2 while the contract ones did. ATT, could in theory do the same all over again, only deliver W10M to "select" 640's. I also seriously doubt the Tmobile branded 640s will ever receive the W10M update, since it was only carried by Tmobile for 2 months.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I also seriously doubt the Tmobile branded 640s will ever receive the W10M update, since it was only carried by Tmobile for 2 months.
Yeah, you're not alone there, I think so too. I feel more comfortable getting a phone with W10M natively, because it's very important for me to have something that just works.

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
We have switched all of the WP in our house to W10 and it is excellent. We switched a 1520, 1020, & 925.
We ran the update advisor and then did the fast ring insider to get build .63.

I contemplated waiting for the official build release, but Im glad to have it now.

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Unlocked 950 here. Was on .36 and was not loving the experience after about a week. Was very skeptical about going back to insider. But was very frustrated. Decided to start from fresh. Did a WDRT back to .0, did not sign in, went to .29 then Insider preview to .63 (needed to sign in at that point). Reset and had decided I would start from fresh. But took the plunge and restored from a .36 backup. That was last night. Very glad I did this. Have since signed out of Insider but enjoying .63 with the latest FW. Couple glitches along the way but all got ironed out. So far so good.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you're not alone there, I think so too. I feel more comfortable getting a phone with W10M natively, because it's very important for me to have something that just works.
I've also been wondering if T-Mobile are going to have an official WIndows 10 Mobile update too. Still, knowing how long T-Mobile generally takes we'll probably not get it until 6 months later...

fredriks

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I am using my 830 as my work phone and been using it daily for over a week now. It works perfect, haven't had any problems using it as my daily phone. For now I think wp 10 and this version is very stable but you will never know with the next one

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I do have a branded version, it's the AT&T GoPhone Version. This is my concern, been burned by carriers in the past and why I'm strongly considering going insider. The 635 (GoPhone variant) never got 8.1 update 2 while the contract ones did. ATT, could in theory do the same all over again, only deliver W10M to "select" 640's. I also seriously doubt the Tmobile branded 640s will ever receive the W10M update, since it was only carried by Tmobile for 2 months.

I have the 640 GoPhone variant as well. The thing is with the GoPhones, AT&T will update the regular phones, but they generally leave the GoPhone customers out in the cold. I do not expect the GoPhone 640 to get the update when AT&T updates the "regular" post-paid 640s.

I went to Windows 10 on mine several weeks ago. Updated since then to a new build, and it is running great. I can't see myself ever going back to 8.1 again. Loving 10.

HINT: If you join the Insider program to get on W10M, then after you upgrade the phone, you can open up the Insider app, tap the ellipses (three dots at the bottom right), and select "leave program." This will remove you from the Insider program and you will no longer get the Insider builds. However, when the next available Windows 10 Mobile upgrade is available for the general public, you'll get it with all the 950s, 550s, etc. It will be just like having an official upgrade, except you get it sooner.

xjox

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Idk but i try insider and Wifi HotSpot was not working with my PS4 and Wifi connection was unestable, losing connection every 30 min. Roll back to 8.1 and all fine.

Mrskotnjak

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
I used to download and use WM10 3 months ago, and it looked little bit jerky (especially EDGE), so I reverted back to stable and fast 8.1.
Have things change with latest build? How is EDGE performance now?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
10586.71, the current Insider build, is said to be the last build before release to the public. It is just about perfect. I've only seen minor app bugs, and I believe they were fixed in the subsequent Outlook app update. The final W10M production build should be out this month, so if you can wait a week or three, you'll avoid the "full reset" and reload of apps when the final comes out. If your concern is solely stability, go for it. It's done.

ken_oy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
We can build a list by listing:
pros:
better UI; better organized setting/control menu; better keyboard; its windows 10 (mobile)

cons:
laggy feeling; some built-in app crashes/fails (call filter+block not working); some ugly built-in tile (people); data-eating (build .63);
taking too long for a real release;

But in my opinion, never ever reset your phone in windows 10 mobile. You will lose your 'glance screen', the options to customize your ringtone, or even, like me, lose the USB connection function.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett