950XL Dual Sim - 5GHz WiFi Support?

Tikerz

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I just got a new 950XL dual sim and I'm not able to see ANY 5GHz wireless networks. Does it not support dual band wireless?

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
About to return my dual sim (not for this issue, but seemed fitting since you just got yours).

Anyway, it worked fine with an Asus router I have had home that I have each of the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz bands identify with their own id. I can see and connect to both without issue on the 950 XL Dual Sim (RM-1116).

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
There's other discussions about this issue in the forums. Yes, there are problems with 5Ghz wi-fi connections. The phone can recognize and use the signal but for how long is anybody's guess. Mine will connect and then drop if for example the phone leaves the wi-fi area and connects to cellular. Then it can't find or connect again to 5 GHz wi-fi until a reboot of the phone is performed. The 2.4 GHz band is stable however and no problems retaining/reconnecting to that. I also have an ASUS (RT-N66U) dual/simultaneous band router.

xt_20

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a TP Link dual band router and Lumia 950.
The Lumia can't see my 5GHz network at all. All other devices in the house (including my old Lumia 920) can.
It can see my 2.4GHz network, but drops out often.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have found that when I put the phone in airplane mode, and then turn on wifi, it cannot see 5 GHz networks. If I turn on wifi with airplane mode off, then I can see 5 GHz networks. I have seen this behavior sometimes on my Note 5 as well.

4everForever

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a TP Link dual band router,amd my 950xl dual sim can't even detect the 5ghz wireless, which is kinda annoying.

The only thing i like about this phone is the camera, the other things are buggy to me.

QuentinJ

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Had a few problems seeing 5GHz WiFi in December weeks ago that required airplane mode on/off or restart to fix (WiFi on/off didn't do the trick).
But the problem only lasted a few days and was fine afterwards. I bought a Netgear Nighhawk R7000 (AC1900) at the beginning of the month and I don't have problems with it either (although I wasn't having problems anymore when I bought the new router).
Don't know why it was unstable but now I don't have problems

Tikerz

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I have found that when I put the phone in airplane mode, and then turn on wifi, it cannot see 5 GHz networks. If I turn on wifi with airplane mode off, then I can see 5 GHz networks. I have seen this behavior sometimes on my Note 5 as well.

I just did some button pressing toggling airplane mode on/off and wifi on/off and somehow it started to show my 5GHz network. What the heck Microsoft???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720