Any problem with using Lumia 950 XL before having a SIM?

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that starting to use the Lumia 950 XL without a SIM in it makes it have a bug. Is this still true with the current OS build or is it fixed?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I never heard of that actually and if I had to do it I wouldn't hesitate to get it before the SIM.

Besides, with the state of Windows 10 Mobile you probably have a better chance of serious bugs regardless of SIM.

TL;DR. get the phone anyway, SIM or not.

also, don't bite anyone here - I'm rather attached to Sakaki-san.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
The quick start user's guide specifically states to ensure a SIM card is inserted prior to the very first startup of the phone. I imagine this is because of network and device settings could go awry without it. Worst case I'm guessing is if you decide to go without the SIM to play with the phone you may need to do a hard reset when you do put one in to fix any lingering incomplete setup problem.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The quick start user's guide specifically states to ensure a SIM card is inserted prior to the very first startup of the phone. I imagine this is because of network and device settings could go awry without it. Worst case I'm guessing is if you decide to go without the SIM to play with the phone you may need to do a hard reset when you do put one in to fix any lingering incomplete setup problem.

This is what I thought, generally. But I had read something more specific.

I think I'd rather wait to have the SIM, it will only be a day later.

Jaime Salas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
@fdruid - Nah you can can start it up and set it up. I did... I bought the phone, it came in, and then I fired it up setup all my accounts via wifi and even did the phone updates before I even purchased a cell provider. (Which I ended up with AT&T). You can do whatever you want there is no problems.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
@fdruid - Nah you can can start it up and set it up. I did... I bought the phone, it came in, and then I fired it up setup all my accounts via wifi and even did the phone updates before I even purchased a cell provider. (Which I ended up with AT&T). You can do whatever you want there is no problems.

Good to know. I guess any problem that comes up will be random. But then again, if it's fixed in a future build or with a hard reset.

In my case, even when I have the SIM, it will take some hours for my carrier to activate it, so in the meantime it won't be fully functional, it will just "be there" for the phone to know there's a SIM...

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My only concern would be if ANYTHING wasn't working as I expect it to, I would always wonder if a hard reset was required because of the initial configuration without a SIM.

Or put another way, what we are usually doing when we are troubleshooting is nothing more than "process of elimination". You would be adding to the list of things to eliminate.

Having said that, I would still do what I want to do and just know that a hard reset might be needed in the troubleshooting process if called for.

No fun having a 950 and not being able to play with it! :)

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I set mine up without a SIM card. As soon as I popped in my AT&T and started the phone I was asked to reboot because SIM settings changed after first sign-on. It has worked fine and had LTE without issues.

The nano SIM came out of a BlackBerry running on AT&T's network with LTE. After doing the swap I contacted AT&T to give them the new IMEI number and everything has been fine.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I set mine up without a SIM card. As soon as I popped in my AT&T and started the phone I was asked to reboot because SIM settings changed after first sign-on. It has worked fine and had LTE without issues.

The nano SIM came out of a BlackBerry running on AT&T's network with LTE. After doing the swap I contacted AT&T to give them the new IMEI number and everything has been fine.

Good advice, I'll do that. In my case, in my zone of residence my carrier doesn't even support LTE yet, so I doubt I'll encounter LTE related problems.

Firing it up as I write this :D So exciting!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett