Photo App - Refresh arrows constantly spinning

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
So, I had an issue with my Photo App. One of the videos I took would not upload to OneDrive. Come to find out the video was corrupted - when I tried to play it on my 950, it was stutter and jump around. Took out the SD card and tried it on my computer. Same issue. One of the symptoms of this corrupted video is that the circular refresh arrows on the bottom of the Photo App kept spinning. Opening the OneDrive App and checking the camera uploads would show that the video failed uploading. After deleting that video and clearing the error in OneDrive, it appears that the uploads continued without issue. However, when I launch the Photo App now, I still get the spinning refresh arrows at the bottom of the app. But, opening the OneDrive app no longer shows any pending uploads. Has anybody else experienced this?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think that's not 100% accurate - that the symptom of a corrupted video is when the refresh icon kept spinning. I've downloaded a corrupt video to my phone from my PC (I knew it was corrupt, but I hoped my phone would play it somehow), but the refresh icon only spun for a while (maybe a minute or two).

The Refresh Icon spins whenever new media files (photos, videos) are copied to your device. It's refreshing the thumbnail view in your galleries. So whenever you delete something, it will also start to spin. The time it takes to spin is proportional to the number of items you copy to your device (or new photos/videos you take).

Leave your phone on with the Photos App active (on display, not in the background) and you should soon see the Refresh Icon stop spinning (once the thumbnails and cache have been updated).

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh interesting. Well, I have left the app open for many hours at a time hoping that it would finish refreshing, but it never seems to do so. I'm going to do a hard reset on the phone today since I haven't done one in a few builds, and see if that helps. Thanks for the info!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford to do a hard reset, that should work.

Just to be clear - did you leave the app open for many hours with the phone screen on?

In my case, at this moment, for example, I have just copied 672 images into my phone. I've launched the photo app and it's now "Refreshing"... but as I type this (exactly this part of this sentence) the Refreshing has stopped. So from the point I've copied to my phone, opened my browser, entered Windows Central, checked my participated threads, clicked on your thread, read your response, typed everything else that came before this - the total time being around just four minutes and 18 seconds - the Refreshing has stopped. But I kept my phone screen on, with the Photos app active (staring at me from my desk as I type).

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
If you can afford to do a hard reset, that should work.

Just to be clear - did you leave the app open for many hours with the phone screen on?

In my case, at this moment, for example, I have just copied 672 images into my phone. I've launched the photo app and it's now "Refreshing"... but as I type this (exactly this part of this sentence) the Refreshing has stopped. So from the point I've copied to my phone, opened my browser, entered Windows Central, checked my participated threads, clicked on your thread, read your response, typed everything else that came before this - the total time being around just four minutes and 18 seconds - the Refreshing has stopped. But I kept my phone screen on, with the Photos app active (staring at me from my desk as I type).

I'm not sure if the screen itself stayed on. But I let it run under the lock screen and every time I unlocked I saw that the refresh arrows were spinning. My timeout period for the screen is 3 minutes. As a side note, I didn't notice this issue until I installed the SD card and pointed my pictures there. I'm wondering if that firmware update with the SD card fix (that I still haven't gotten because of stupid AT&T) resolved the issue.

Either way, I'm doing a hard reset now as I type this. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I had this same issue, endless spinning of the refresh on a new setup. I had over 1000 pictures on Onedrive so it was going to take a bit to cache them all.

I left the photos app open and refreshing and I constantly kept the screen awake, if it dimmed I moved my finger on it to bring it back up. After about 5-10 min it started showing thumbnails for the latest stuff and over the next 10-20 min finished all images and all is well now.

Had the same issue on my 930 on a fresh install of W10M as well. If its not too late, make sure you leave the screen ON as suggested, even if you have to constantly keep it awake.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if the screen itself stayed on. But I let it run under the lock screen and every time I unlocked I saw that the refresh arrows were spinning. My timeout period for the screen is 3 minutes. As a side note, I didn't notice this issue until I installed the SD card and pointed my pictures there. I'm wondering if that firmware update with the SD card fix (that I still haven't gotten because of stupid AT&T) resolved the issue.

Either way, I'm doing a hard reset now as I type this. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue.

As seldzar elaborated, just in case you run into the same issue after the hard reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720