My thoughts on the 950 XL, the "App Gap", and Windows 10 Mobile

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I've had my 950 XL since day 1 and have had an overall great experience. I've seen a handful of users complain heavily about the phone, OS, app gap, and more. I myself, haven't had that bad of an experience with the phone at all. With some of the more recent app, OS, and FW updates my phone is at a point where I have no major complaints.

The complaints I had after a few weeks of use weren't that major. In fact, the biggest one I had was a sudden inability to sync my Groove Music library on my 950 XL. To this day I'm not sure what caused it, but the most recent update to the app fixed the issue and all is working well now.

I did notice over the course of the first few months of using the phone that over time, random reboots started to become more frequent. Which leads to another one of my complaints.

The previous issue didn't get resolved as soon as I would have liked it to happen, but part of that was due to my phone being one of the few unfortunate ones that had issues receiving the .29 and .36 insider builds. Once the .36 build was pushed out, I thought that would have been the last of my issues, but that was apparently not the case. I was never able to see the .63 insider build. I wasn't sure if there was another reason for that. I also never truly checked to see if I could get the FW update once it was finally released for my variant either. I don't know how widespread this issue was, but I really didn't see anyone else on the forums who seemed to have the same issue.

Finally, I decided that I would just use WDRT to get the newest firmware and then upgrade it to .63. While this was a great plan, it didn't work as well as I had hoped. I ran into another error trying to install updates after the reset and ended up having to do multiple resets to get my device fully up to date. Thankfully Windows 10 Mobile (and WP8) made this entire process a much easier task than my many ROM flashes on Android devices over the years.

While that part of the experience wasn't the most pleasant (seriously, it's 1000x times better than rooting and Android phone, flashing a ROM, booting the phone, and finding out that it gets stuck into this boot loop and you have to re flash and/or find different ROMs and gApps builds, losing data, not being able to use your phone for the 8 hours it's not working, etc.), it was well worth the improvement. I can't say I've necessarily noticed and improvement in battery life, because I've honestly been satisfied with it. There are days I put it under heavy use, and it still lasts me longer than almost any Android phone ever lasted me. This last week has been great too. I've had days where I didn't use my phone at all and after it sitting around for 12+ hours (Bluetooth and WiFi) off, I'm still above 80%. Find me an Android phone that will do that without having to use some hyper ultra battery saving mode.

I've also heard a lot of people complain about the app gap, and I don't see why. I was a huge Android fan boy for years, but I always found myself installing apps that I used once or twice, and then never used again. I would honestly say the only app that is really missing is Snapchat, which most people would agree with. However, I didn't really use it on my Android at all anyways. A few apps definitely need updated (I'm looking at you Twitter). It would be nice to have a Chase app instead of their mobile website, but their mobile site seems to work better than their 8.1 app did. Ultimately, I don't find myself needing or wanting that many apps. The main apps I use are Outlook, Twitter, Edge, Cortana, and Windows Central. Aside from that, I don't have any other apps I use on a daily basis. I understand I'm in the minority here, but I also don't need snapchat, instragram, wechat, WhatsApp, facebook, and every other social media or messaging platform ever created to live my life. I use my phone for emails, phone calls, texting, twitter, and checking the news. On occasion I listen to music or watch a youtube video, and even more rare, I stream sports events. But all those apps that I need to do that are there. I also don't need Walmart, Target, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Walgreens, and every other store or restaurant to design me an app. I get that some people may use these apps, but for me, the app gap just isn't there. I guess that makes me old fashioned.

Now on to the lighter stuff. The camera has been great. I previously used a Lumia Icon and had jumped back to Android when the first Insider Builds started coming out. I'm so glad to have such a high quality camera back. Android cameras just don't compare in low light and many other situations. Having a physical camera button is a huge plus for me to. I cannot tell you how much I missed that. Microsoft, please never take this away.

I really really don't like on screen navigation keys, that being said, they do perform much better than the onscreen keys for the Nexus 6. I can't state how irritating it was that the keys always flipped around the screen at the weirdest of times.

Windows 10 Mobile just seems to be easier to use than Android. Android feels like some put a really cramped desktop with too many icons on a phone. With each release of Android they're getting further and further away from their open platform that made them so attractive 6 years ago. It starts to feel more and more like iOS every day, and that's not what I want from an operating system.

Let's not forget about Live Tiles. They're probably the single greatest feature ever created on a smartphone. That was my 2nd most missed feature when switching back to Android.

And my last comment on this subject, Cortana reading texts over the Bluetooth in my car is a must have feature for me. I drive so much that it's unbearable not having that. The convenience it brings in unparalleled. I missed that more than Live Tiles. I will say it seems slightly less reliable than on WP8.1, but only slightly. It is also annoying that I can't cancel the readout by hitting the button on my steering wheel anymore. Those minor nuances aside, I can't believe this isn't something both iOS and Android haven't built into their OSes yet. It's so overdue and 99.999% of cars that have that capability are so unreliable and/or limited in compatibility, that having that missing that kind of feature in your phones operating system just seems inexcusable.

TL;DR: Early bugs have been squashed making the phone much better, missed the camera, text readout over Bluetooth, live tiles, the "app gap" is crap, Android feels like iOS now, and I <3 W10 Mobile

Thanks to all who take the time to read or reply!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Some say WP is becoming more like iOS/Android :p but like most of the ambassadors here have said over and over... and over.. the gap is mostly subjective. If you want the platform to work for you it will :D

Seen more people complain about the 950 tho

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 950 XL since day 1 and have had an overall great experience...

Ok, I read your massive wall of text, here is mine :)

The app gap really depends on the individual. Like you I don't really use many apps everyday. All I need is a browser, an app to catch up on the news, an app for my emails, an app for weather, something like Google Now, and... that's about it :) To me, there is really not much of an app gap. Previously it was just the quality of the apps that I do use on windows phone that were trailing behind the ones on my Android phones. Hopefully, that won't much of an issue from now on. I think most people have issues with local apps that they can find on Android/iOS, and not the big name apps.

I wish Outlook would handle HTML emails better though. Every single email gets butchered when I view it. Elements out of place, not being shown, blown up/shrunken text, etc. It is really annoying... Gmail on my Note 5 handles it perfectly... This is something I REALLY hope Microsoft figures out soon.

The camera is fantastic on the Lumia, I agree. I don't really care too much about the physical button though. I tend to find taking photos on my Note 5 far more ergonomic if you will. I can't really explain it, but double tapping the home button is much faster for me than pressing the camera button on the Lumia.I know, that doesn't really make sense, but make of it what you will :) The Note also does a better job with focusing, even in low light where the Lumia never seems to be able to do it on the first try. Since there is less processing going on with the Note 5's images, I can take images non stop at a reasonable pace, while I usually get the "Saving..." screen on the Lumia. I also don't like how in some pictures the Lumia just cranks up the saturation, much more than even my Note, and the image just comes out looking fake. Usually though, the Lumia produces images with slightly better details, colors, etc. In good light though, I prefer my Note 5, because it is pretty close to the Lumia in picture quality, and again, I find taking photos on it easier/more enjoyable. I hate the focus hunting on the Lumia when taking videos, especially in low light, and it always has trouble on deciding what to focus on. Generally I find my Note is more successful in focusing correctly in all types of lighting conditions. I don't like the 5 minute limit on 4k videos on the Note though. I suppose it makes sense from a storage standpoint, but I have an OTG drive (I've got several 64 GB micro sd cards I can use with it) where I can just move all the pictures and videos once I take them, so that never bothered me. Love the fast UFS storage on the Note.

As far as the UI is concerned. I like both Android's and Window's take on it. I like stock Android, but I find it a bit lacking with features, so I prefer Samsung's take on it with Touchwizz. I think the Windows UI is more elegant, with the live tiles and everything, but I don't find the UI on Android to be any worse to be honest, just different. I like the settings layout on the Note better than the Lumia for instance, and I can put a giant calendar widget on one of the home screens on the Note to show a lot more meetings, etc. at a glance than the Lumia lets me with the largest tile size. I loved the UI on Windows Mobile 8.1. On the 950 XL, it just feels confusing sometimes, some apps have the pivoting UI from before, but some have a hamburger menu thrown in there. Sometimes I don't know where to look for the menu item I want, under the hamburger menu or the ellipse thing on the bottom right? It doesn't seem consistent and sometimes just feels like an Android/iOS UI with a Windows theme on it...

The build quality of the phone leaves a bit to be desired to be honest. It feels like a blown up version of my 640, but with a more flimsy back cover that flexes with the slightest touch and makes annoying creaking noises... I find the Lumia 950 XL to be too light, and it doesn't feel substantial in my hand, which unfortunately makes it feel cheap to me. The specs are great, but I wish Microsoft put a bit more effort to make the external feel of the phone match the amazing UI and solid specs.

I like on screen buttons, despite my Note not having them. One thing I liked on Android was when I pushed an onscreen button, there would be an animation where it made it look like I actually pushed the button. On the 950 XL, sometimes I hit the home or back key and wait a bit before realizing it didn't register my finger and then I have to do it again. I find that annoying because it doesn't give me any visual indication that I actually pressed it. I know I can have vibration when I push the on screen buttons, but I dislike that and that is one of the first things I turned off on my Note 5 and the Lumia.

I do miss the ability to have two apps open side by side like on my Note. I also REALLY miss the s-pen. Sometimes, I just find it much more satisfying to write something rather than type it, even if typing is faster. Really wish the 950 XL had an equivalent to the s-pen.

Unfortunately I have been having a lot freezing, random reboots since the last update. I did a factory reset, didn't restore anything and the issues still persist. This is my third 950 XL I have tried as well, so it can't be a dud device...

I hate how the Onedrive backup of photos always gets stuck and I have to go and clear all the errors every time. On my Note, it happens INSTANTLY. I can literally take a photo on the Note, open the onedrive pictures folder on my computer and see the image there within 10 seconds... Come on Microsoft! Fix this!!!!

Trying to decide if I should keep it and wait for all the bugs I am experiencing to be fixed or return it and stick with my Note until the fabled "Panos phone" hits the market. Everytime I look at the Lumia, I remember the price and I cry a little inside... The Note cost me the $740 for the 64 GB dual sim variant from eBay and it works flawlessly. The Lumia cost me $680 ( add the Mozo cover I ordered and it is pretty much just as costly as the Note...) from B&H and software experience has so far been marred by these bugs.

I believe a stable software experience is just as important, if not more, than the physical hardware of the phone. That is why I think the 950 XL is overpriced. The hardware is nice, but if the software is not up to snuff, then the overall experience suffers. I was okay with paying a lot of money for the Note, because the hardware is fantastic, and so is the software, and so the overall experience has been great. Honestly, the 950/950 XL was clearly rushed out to make the holiday deadline. I have no doubt it will get better with all the upcoming updates. To be honest, if I didn't have my Note 5 to compare with, I probably wouldn't be so annoyed with all the bugs. With the Note here, I know what it is like to have a phone that is working flawlessy for me. Every time I feel like giving the Lumia a break, some stupid bug creeps up, whether it be onedrive hanging after I try to delete a photo, or the camera app crashing while trying to take a photo and having to restart the phone, because the camera hardware is locked and killing the camera app and opening it again doesn't work. I have had my fair share of bugs on Android, but I never experienced these kinds of serious bugs yet.

Overall, I would say, I am sort of both impressed and disappointed with the 950 XL. Its a conflicted feeling. There was a lot of hype and now that I hold it my hand, I feel a bit let down. Sigh...

Hopefully someone actually manages to read through all this without losing patience :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I read both posts and my final conclusion is... I need a raise :p

Overall tho, I admire you guys :) The platform and the new phones obviously have issues, but you guys are trying to make the best of it..

Like dear ol' dad says.. If ya want sth to work; you'll make an effort :D

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ordivergens, I read every single word. Another really good post. (This is a forum, not Twitter. It is completely proper, in my opinion, to blog a bit more than tweet if that is what it takes. :)
The next person who is not currently on Windows phone but asks me my opinion, I'll give it to them and THEN point them to this thread and say "but you shouldn't decide on just my words. Go read a couple of honest reviews by these guys in this thread"

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Excellent posts!!!

From my point of view, I am, for the most part, enjoying W10M. Yes, there are glitches - sometimes glaring too - but overall, my experience has been positive. This is especially true of the latest build (.63).

Apps: This is the interesting thing. I have read a lot about this app-gap, but like you folks, I have actually never really faced it - well, perhaps with one exception.

I have moved between countries but whichever country I have been in, I have always had banks that had functional (and sometimes efficiently designed) apps. My preferred airline has a functional app (it needs updating though). The hotel chain which I stay with when I travel also has a functional app. I get a variety of news through a number of sources - direct and curated. I communicate using Skype (video), Viber, Telegram, Whatsapp. Sure some of these apps require updating and redesign (like apparently Telegram's CEO recently mentioned that a universal Telegram app may be in the offing), but as of now they are present and functional. You can say the same about the Core apps of the OS (like Mail, Calendar etc.). So, all in all, I am not sure the app-gap, as such, manifests itself to me.

About the 950XL: When first announced, I was really intrigued by the 950XL. And, yes, I do like the bland design-aesthetics of the 950XL (but in Black only). But then there was the question of the cost because whichever way I cut it, the phone is expensive and it feels so because I always buy my phones outright. But I was intrigued enough by the 950XL to have made up my mind to buy it.

Then I installed W10M through the Insiders' program. At that time I used to use a 640XL/ 3G/ DS which was performing very well with 8.1.2. But thought and still think, W10M made the 640XL seem like a new phone. The only limitation of the phone remains the on-board storage of 8GB. Even the 1GB RAM is not felt inadequate (under most circumstances).

I was moving into a new place which has full 4G coverage and I wanted to access that. So, I thought I would buy the 950XL on release. And in the meantime I played with W10M on my 640XL. The more I got used to it, the more I enjoyed using it. I then thought about it again. In many ways, the 640XL and the 950XL share the same design-parentage: blandness (something which echoes with me for a variety of reasons aesthetically). I already have a 1520 which is also on W10M and so I know what 2GB of RAM feels like on W10M. So, the RAM upgrade that would accrue with the 950XL was known to me. And, here is the kicker, with W10M, the sharpness of the lack of RAM on the 640XL is to a large extent mitigated. Obviously the camera on the 950XL is heaps better, but I was not really dissatisfied with the camera on the 640XL. Yes, the lack of space in the 640XL did and does bother me - mSD card expansion notwithstanding!!

All this given, I asked myself: What are the real and tangible advantages that I would gain if I did move to the 950XL at this point in time? Both phones will be running and OS that has not yet stabilized. And one of the phones is very expensive!

I gave my 3G version of the 640XL to a family member and bought myself another 640XL - this time a 4G/ DS on which I promptly installed the latest Insiders' build and it is running just right (at the moment, that is!).

On W10M: I think there are two ways to talk about W10M. One as a specific OS to mobile phones and the other as a representation of the power and flexibility of W10 - represented in a device-specific manner (i.e., in the form of mobile phones). When I grow frustrated with some of the experiences at the device-level, I try to remind myself of the other way of thinking about W10M - as a representation of W10 itself. Seen from that point of view, W10M is currently in its shape-shifting state. It is still working out how to best represent the potential of W10 in mobile form and to that extent there are glitches. This point of view I think was also highlighted during some of the past conferences where MS has showcased their efforts. Mention was made of how the objective of MS is to create solutions that will allow a person's data to follow the person and not be tied to specific devices. I buy this idea and I think it is not only (achievably) futuristic, but also logical. When seen from this point of view, while devices are important, they are only so to the extent that they showcase the OS and this is true across device categories. I use the Surface Pro 3 and the Surface 3 and I notice the same thing there too. And, guess what...I notice that with using W10M on the 640XL too. In the case of the 640XL, the hardware successfully highlights the OS and quietly slips into the background. It helps that the 640XL is very comfortable to hold, which further accentuates the experience.

I think W10 (and thus necessarily W10M) is a brilliant idea and I am quite sure it will be successful. But I think the strategic objectives that MS has are going to be gained in an evolutionary and transformative manner rather than in a "revolutionary" manner. In other words, it will gain mind and market-share gradually - almost by stealth.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I just figure some people just live for the drama wherever they can find it.. No matter how well Microsoft solves a problem, you're going to find more then a few people that disagree. I gave up trying to convince people how well this OS functions because it does what it claims to do. I am floored when people say stuff like, "look at all the wasted space". When I saw that, I knew that its all about the drama.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
So I just switched from a L930 to an iPhone and while I've never been a huge app guy I find myself realizing how nice it is to have access to the multitude of apps on the platform and the apps feel like they are typically better quality. While I was able to make it work while I was on Windows Phone I find Android and iOS a little more convenient.

That being said, my iPhone has helped me break my smartphone addiction. I find iOS so boring that I don't get on my phone as much. WP8/WM10 is such a joy to use, teaming with personality and character while iOS feels claustrophobic and oppressive. Unfortunately I need wifi calling so I'm stuck for now.

Despite some frustrations I have with how MS handles the platform I'm still just biding my time in hopes Tmobile either brings on support for the 950(unlikely) or supports the Surface Phone.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So I just switched from a L930 to an iPhone and while I've never been a huge app guy I find myself realizing how nice it is to have access to the multitude of apps on the platform and the apps feel like they are typically better quality. While I was able to make it work while I was on Windows Phone I find Android and iOS a little more convenient.

That being said, my iPhone has helped me break my smartphone addiction. I find iOS so boring that I don't get on my phone as much. WP8/WM10 is such a joy to use, teaming with personality and character while iOS feels claustrophobic and oppressive. Unfortunately I need wifi calling so I'm stuck for now.

Despite some frustrations I have with how MS handles the platform I'm still just biding my time in hopes Tmobile either brings on support for the 950(unlikely) or supports the Surface Phone.

And thus the real dilemma, for me.
Which phone\platform do I actually enjoy? Completely shutting out all the peer pressure, marketing, and general public opinion..........which one do I actually want (and enjoy) to use for my own personal mobile communications?

Just over 3 years ago I was asked to help someone configure their new cell phone for our Microsoft Exchange servers. This particular executive lived several thousand miles away from our data center, but I knew him personally. I asked him which phone did he get? He stated it was a Lumia 920. I had never heard of it or seen one before so I asked if he didn't mind giving me a day to look into it. I quickly researched our corporate ATT Premiere portal and found the L920 listed. Jumped in the truck and headed down to the closest ATT store and grabbed one. Got back to my desk and took the SIM out of my personal corporate issued IPhone and dropped it into the L920.

Well, the rest is history. :)
Not long and my MacBook, IPhone, and IPad were gathering dust. I can have any device(s) I desire and expense them. So there is very little $financial influence on my choices. (Although I do have to see through the eyes of protecting my companies resources)

I've often said that I am grateful to Apple for showing the world the way. Back in 2007 they invented true mobility. I won't deny them their due. But I just get more pleasure from the current Microsoft eco system. I get more frustration from the current Microsoft eco system, as well. lol

I don't deny that the path that Microsoft has taken to first "copy" the trend that was defined by their competitor(s), (Win 8-8.1) and then CHANGE their path to one that they believe will surpass that (win10), has been a patience-trying trip. (And still is, but to a lesser extent daily, in my opinion)

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
But I just get more pleasure from the current Microsoft eco system. I get more frustration from the current Microsoft eco system, as well. lol...

Same here. My venture into smartphone territory was with an iPhone 3Gs. I was amazed at its capabilities and plethora of apps/games/iTunes. But then Microsoft came along with Windows 7 phones and Nokia introduced the Lumia 800 which was getting some spectacular reviews. And I was already a fan/user of Zune products and software.

So I decided to try it once my iPhone plan was up for renewal. I was happy with the 800 and after some extensive searching I found similar apps that I could use but not all of them so I still had to keep my iPhone as a "data only" device to access apps that I relied on. Then Microsoft quickly moved into the Windows 8 OS and the Lumia 800 was not going to be supported which left me a tad ticked. Also, my cellular provider was slow in providing any updates for the Lumia handsets if it all. So after awhile my frustration got the best of me and I decided to buy out my plan to move over to Android for a spin.

I picked up an HTC One M8 (still carrier-locked) and at first I thought it was the be all and end all. Great app selection, customizable, boot loaders, etc. But after about a year I discovered something: I was missing Windows Phone. I was missing the eco-system of Office, Windows, and other nuances. When Android released some update that basically limited use of expansion SDcard storage I was incensed enough to go back to another OS platform. Apple's closed environment and narrow-minded ideas of product "enhancements" did not appeal to me.

So it was either try Blackberry (not) or go back to Windows Phone. So WP it was. But this time I decided to take things into my own control and went with an unlocked phone so no more being at mercy of the telco (in Canada, Windows Phone isn't well supported anyway). I bought a Lumia 930 with Windows 8.1 and eventually moved onto the W10M Insiders program. There is no looking back now. My only wish was the 930 included an SDcard expansion slot and had the supported LTE Band my telco uses. I figured I'd tough it out and when the 950/950XL was announced I immediately went onto the waiting list to purchase one. That finally came to light and although I am for the most part happy with the 950XL there are still some quirks, bugs, hardware design decisions, and features I'd like to see resolved. It's a 90% premium phone @ a 200% premium (over)pricepoint. But at the end of it all I am happy with this "step backward" I took in the world of cellular tech.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Ha! Many people think I'm crazy, but I have the same reaction to iOS. My spouse has used them since the very first model. Unfortunately, my role has been that of tech support. I cringe every time an issue comes up.

It just feels like how it would be as if Android never evolved passed Gingerbread and all Google did was put more lipstick on that pig

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm reviving this thread after a few days, but I appreciate all the responses I got. Very civilized indeed.

I think you all made very good points. The comment about iOS being claustrophic is spot on. I think my biggest complaint about iPhones, from the few times I used someone's, was the keyboard. The device got taller and taller, but stayed the same width. Coming from a Galaxy SIII, to a Lumia Icon, and finally to the Nexus 6 before my 950 XL, I could not type on that thin of a screen. I don't honestly know how anyone ever sent a text on a screen like that. I haven't used anyone's 6 Plus yet, which I'm sure is better, but they really missed on the whole size trend and how much more comfortable the wider devices felt. The lack of additional buttons frustrated me too. Having a menu, search, and/or back button feels necessary, but to Apple, they just didn't care. In addition to that, iOS always made me feel coddled and it always was restrictive in what you could do with it. Ultimately, I felt claustrophobic from it on the physical side, as well as the software side.

Once again, thanks for all the insight from everyone, and thank you for being very civil!

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I have had such a positive experience with my 950 XL - especially when using Continuum to work on a nutrition spreadsheet project I have going on. Sadly though, pivot tables don't seem to work in mobile excel even though I have a 365 subscription :(

I'd really like more keyboard options and am optimistic/excited for more Continuum development. That's a gold mine and the future of mobile tech I think (hope).

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I have had such a positive experience with my 950 XL - especially when using Continuum to work on a nutrition spreadsheet project I have going on. Sadly though, pivot tables don't seem to work in mobile excel even though I have a 365 subscription :(

I'd really like more keyboard options and am optimistic/excited for more Continuum development. That's a gold mine and the future of mobile tech I think (hope).

I've noticed there are a few Excel features missing, but for the most part it works 100% for my needs. I was also thinking about the keyboard options this morning. Even just numbers across the top of the keyboard would be nice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb