I have been a MSFT fan for over 20 years, but this is a joke...

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I am still going to hang with MSFT but the windows phone 10 OS is really a joke. Lets look at it from a pure commercial software development aspect, in which I have plenty of experience.

Let's take the edge browser, I think it would be easy to summize that they have 20-30 developers at a minimum working on the edge browser. I find it amazing that during development they didn't notice:

1. Close all tabs doesn't work
2. There is no need to have unlimited open tabs
3. The power and memory hog that it is on the phone
4. 50% of the time you navigate to a page from a pinned live edge tile, it doesn't load the site

Now, Let's look at Outlook, they probably have 40+ developers on this feature

1. Linking inboxes and having a live tile doesn't reflect the true number of unread emails, it just keeps going up
2. how dows the microsoft band get emails before my outlook application
3. Downloading attachments is poor and takes forever
4. Downloadin the rest of the email takes forever

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Use the Windows Feedback app to report or up-vote these issues.

Windows 10 is being updated and improved on a regular basis, so things will improve over time.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
To share a link from edge takes like 4secs where in wp8.1 is instantaneous. There are so many basic features that are far less better that wp81..

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
To share a link from edge takes like 4secs where in wp8.1 is instantaneous. There are so many basic features that are far less better that wp81..

I agree that there are still "open ends" but please also consider that there are lots of improvements/ new features compared with wp8.1. For example the number of supported keyboards is grown enormously, wifi analysers are available, the alarm&clock stock app etc.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I actually quite like Win10M despite it's shortcomings. I have far more issues with the desktop version of Windows 10. They've even broken device manager on the desktop version, it's currently showing a hard drive in my system that isn't even in the system anymore i.e. a device identified as "250GB Samsung SSD" with properties showing that it has a capacity of 480GB (which is the capacity of the new replacement drive which isn't even a Samsung device).

The Start menu looks a mess too, corrected with the free "Classic Shell" addon... Duplication of some Control Panel apps in the new settings app, but not all, so you end up looking in one place to find something only to find it's not there but is in the other place, or it's in both - stooopid!

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Use the Windows Feedback app to report or up-vote these issues.

Windows 10 is being updated and improved on a regular basis, so things will improve over time.

Have you tried using the feedback application? What did an intern write that thing? Searching is impossible, you only get 20 results, unless you look for the latest every time you will miss other issues people are having...Yes, I have used it.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
And it was pointless, they just ignored the comments. Maybe they are just to busy trying to make 10M run. My final up vote was send the XL back.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While I agree that downloading e-mails in the Outlook app is terrible, the fact you're making some unfounded claim about the development team sizes is pointless and strange. They could have 5 people or 50 on those teams, it doesn't really change the facts of quality issues. IDK why you even mention it.

I think calling a bit of early life imperfections a joke is unreasonable, especially when there are bugs much larger than these that really DO qualify as a joke (like how opening the Messaging app from a text notification often leaves it stuck on "Resuming," even now).

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Is this thread about 950xl or w10m? Maybe we just sticky 2 threads...I love my 950xl and a I hate MS and my 950xl so dont have to see a new one every day..lol

tooly26

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Edge tabs didn't close all, its terrible slow if u only try...on a snapdragon 810!
Ms is really going to lost the last mobile fans...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
WM10, in it's current state has a lot going for it when you actually think about the short comings of WP8.1. There are plenty, however I won't list these as there is really no point dredging up the past.

In regards to going forward, this WaaS model will always seem like the phone o/s is unfinished however no o/s is well and truly finished until it reaches end of it's support cycle.

The only difference here is that in the past the RTM product was pretty much feature locked with a lot of polish when it reached that stage, there were no further A/B testing. Whereas now RTM is just a milestone with continuous A/B testing + a lot of rough edges although it has to remain feature locked when it hits that milestone otherwise they would never get it out to the OEMs.

Hence the servicing branches / rings.

Granted the issues that people have been experiencing should have been addressed especially in the flagship tier as people can afford to vote with their wallets.

On the flipside that perception will always be skewed on all forums as I said before people with issues will look for solutions and voice their experiences whereas people who have no issues won't as they don't have any need to look for solutions.

AchtungZBoom

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
After a week with my 950 XL I am very frustrated.. I can not even get my MICROSOFT band to connect as the App itself will not run.. network errors all over. I took it into the MS store and they were puzzled.. replaced my phone and BOOM same issue.

They told me to use the feedback app... the MS store said.. sorry bud nothing we can do.. we feel your pain, use the app. Pretty much sums up the state of this flat broken OS.

LuvMeSomeWP

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
After a week with my 950 XL I am very frustrated.. I can not even get my MICROSOFT band to connect as the App itself will not run.. network errors all over. I took it into the MS store and they were puzzled.. replaced my phone and BOOM same issue.

They told me to use the feedback app... the MS store said.. sorry bud nothing we can do.. we feel your pain, use the app. Pretty much sums up the state of this flat broken OS.

Had some issues before. Don't seem to have this problem anymore. Tried various combinations of soft reset phone, and resetting the band and pairing again.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Sorry but I have to be a bit direct and tell you that your above post is BS. Be it Apple, Google, Samsung or Microsoft, No service centre will tell you that, they will definitely log the issue on their system and forward to their people.

Done it so many times and I know very well that they don't work that way.

AchtungZBoom

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Sorry but I have to be a bit direct and tell you that your above post is BS. Be it Apple, Google, Samsung or Microsoft, No service centre will tell you that, they will definitely log the issue on their system and forward to their people.

Done it so many times and I know very well that they don't work that way.

They offered me a full refund of the phone and band ... I need the phone obviously for the basic features but that is exactly what they told me. I dont blame anyone at the store.. they were as helpful as they could be but in the end the tech guy said "We get to be the ones to tell you sorry for the at times broken software, please use the feedback app and we will do whatever it takes to make it right.. refund or otherwise"... That is exactly what he said in the end. He did say "Sorry bud " multiple times too.

Again not at all mad at the people there but this happened Friday night at the Mall of America MS store. I have purchased pretty much every MS branded thing in the last 15 years. Why on earth would I make up this?? Here look up the info if you would like.. this was emailed to me as I waited that night.

Confirmation number: KLYHYSC-0005
Type: Answer Desk
Category: Microsoft Band
Date: 1/22/2016
Time: 6:30 PM
162 South Ave
Bloomington, MN
(952) 487-7372

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Weird. My band 2 connected first try, and has worked flawlessly since. MS Health is noticeably faster on my 950xl, than it was on my 920. Actually except for two random reboots, which i suspect had environmental causes, my phone has been absolutely perfect.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
They offered me a full refund of the phone and band ... I need the phone obviously for the basic features but that is exactly what they told me. I dont blame anyone at the store.. they were as helpful as they could be but in the end the tech guy said "We get to be the ones to tell you sorry for the at times broken software, please use the feedback app and we will do whatever it takes to make it right.. refund or otherwise"... That is exactly what he said in the end. He did say "Sorry bud " multiple times too.

Again not at all mad at the people there but this happened Friday night at the Mall of America MS store. I have purchased pretty much every MS branded thing in the last 15 years. Why on earth would I make up this?? Here look up the info if you would like.. this was emailed to me as I waited that night.

Did they only swap the phone or did they try a new band with your original phone too? If they didn't try a different band they didn't rule out the issue being with the band and not the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers