Should I return my lumia 950 for the 830?

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a Lumia 950 from MS store. Liking it so far except for my first windows phone I still think $800 canadian is too much.

Should I return this and get a mint condition used 830 for $200? Would I see a big dip in performance? Plus 830 is an old phone but im not into games or apps much. I primarily use my phone dor talk,text email and browsing.

Will 830 be good enough for me? I only need a phone that's 5-5.2" big. So anything xl is not foe me.

Please give your thoughts

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Instead of the 830, I would suggest you get a Lumia 640 and save some more money. Good luck.

I thought 830 is more of an upgrade mid range phone whereas the 640 is low end?? Again right now, i've got the 950 and liking it. But dont want to see a big performance downgrade..

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I thought 830 is more of an upgrade mid range phone whereas the 640 is low end?? Again right now, i've got the 950 and liking it. But dont want to see a big performance downgrade..

Screen is better on the 640 and the processor and RAM are identical. Camera is better on the 830 but not worth the difference in price at least in the USA.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I think you get about the same performance with the 640 and 830. The 830 has dedicated back, search, and windows keys, whereas they are onscreen with the 640. The 830 has a dedicated camera button, but the 640 does not. I think the 830 has OIS, but the 640 does not. Also, you get a few more megapixels with the 830.

I have daily driven both the 640 and the 830. There is no doubt that the 950 is two steps up performance wise, but you'd be fine with either one. Also - install W10 on either before you put all of your personal stuff on it, and I think you'll feel like you're still using the 950. Some apps won't as fast to launch (camera and messaging), but you won't hate it either.

Here in the US, the 640 is almost free now. That being the case, and those little differences above, the 640 is a great option.

if they are more comparable in price for you, then get the 830. But, $50 (640) vs $200 (830) I think is the point worldspy was making.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
In Canada, MS store doesnt sell 640 anymore. Only 640XL..On Kijiji, I can get both 640 and 830 - 830 is only about $50 more than the 640. Should I get the 830?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
In Canada, MS store doesnt sell 640 anymore. Only 640XL..On Kijiji, I can get both 640 and 830 - 830 is only about $50 more than the 640. Should I get the 830?

If it's only $50, I'd probably get the 830. I'd say the camera upgrades are probably worth that. I know worldspy favored the 640 screen, but I don't see much difference.

These two phones feel different when you hold them. I can't tell you which is better. The 830 has an aluminum frame, so it feels a little more premium. The flip side of that is you need to use at least a gel case or the sides get marked up pretty quickly. I used an Incipio Octane case, and it was great for that phone.

The 640 has the plastic back. I don't use a case with the 640. I've dropped it a few times, and it seems to hold up.

Since they're not in your hands, I don't know if it will help you much, but I have one of each at the moment, and can post a side--side of the front, back, and side it you think it'll help you.

Do you have Best Buy there? They are selling 640's here for $48.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't own a 640 but has handled it briefly. Very decent. If the price difference is low, get the 830 over the 640. You'll have a dedicated physical button for a obviously better main camera. I didn't compare the front camera but I know the 830 FFC is poor.

The 640 has a lower (8GB) memory, fewer sensor cores and no wireless charging unlike the 830 so keep that in mind. The 830 is gorgeously design and feels great. Its chassis is aluminium... so be careful, it will flex. Mine orange unit is already slightly bent.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
that Incipio case I referenced adds quite a bit of rigidity and support in a very lightweight package. Well worth it for the 830. Mine was clear so it didn't detract much.

The 830 is gorgeously design and feels great. Its chassis is aluminium... so be careful, it will flex. Mine orange unit is already slightly bent.

CanadianGuy_eH

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a Lumia 950 from MS store. Liking it so far except for my first windows phone I still think $800 canadian is too much.

Should I return this and get a mint condition used 830 for $200? Would I see a big dip in performance? Plus 830 is an old phone but im not into games or apps much. I primarily use my phone dor talk,text email and browsing.

Will 830 be good enough for me? I only need a phone that's 5-5.2" big. So anything xl is not foe me.

Please give your thoughts

I been a proud owner of a Lumia 830 for nearly four months now and don't regret it.

It's great camera wise, screen has that glossy glass reflective look too.

So far no real regrets. Got mine through TELUS.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
that Incipio case I referenced adds quite a bit of rigidity and support in a very lightweight package. Well worth it for the 830. Mine was clear so it didn't detract much.

I came from a 920, which went naked.. old habits die hard I suppose. Haha

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Recently downgraded from a 1520 to the 830. Not liking the smaller battery but still enjoying the device. It feels great in the hand and the design is very memorable. The camera isn't up to the level of the 950 (few cameras are) but the camera still holds its own. If someone gave me a 950 for free, I would definitely upgrade. However, the 830 is (IMO) a better value at $200 than the 950 is at $800.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Other option im considering is the HTC m9. I know it's Android) the sense UI is supposed to be a kot better than the other ones like touchwiz etc.

I can get one for about $400 Canadian

Sent from mTalk

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 830 is a bad phone. You'd miss out on W10M until that's released, and when it it, you'd see a big performance hit. The 830's chip tested as on-par with that of the 920, which was released in 2012. You'd be talking about 3 years' worth of performance difference from the 830 to 950, while also losing Continuum, the superior camera, W10M, and long-term support.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The 830 is a bad phone. You'd miss out on W10M until that's released, and when it it, you'd see a big performance hit. The 830's chip tested as on-par with that of the 920, which was released in 2012. You'd be talking about 3 years' worth of performance difference from the 830 to 950, while also losing Continuum, the superior camera, W10M, and long-term support.

The 830 is not a bad phone. There's a difference in saying it is a weaker phone since it is a midrange Device vs the flagship 950, but it isn't a bad device.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm a Lumia 830 owner here.

First off, I'm not sure why you'd want to downgrade from a 950, which obviously you've had the money to buy it in the first place. You said that the phone does not justify the price, so is this a good enough reason to return the 950? Or is there something else that affects your decision-making?

Also, if you want to downgrade, I'd suggest you to go for the 640XL. It is definitely MUCH BETTER than the 830 in terms of camera and screen size, although the pixel density is quite a downgrade (both 830 and 640XL have the same resolution, but since the 640XL has a larger screen, thus it has reduced PPI). Here's a quick pros between the two phones:

L830
Pros:
1) Camera has OIS, along with dedicated shutter button [Pureview Camera].
2) Wireless charging
3) Hardware button
4) Better screen (higher PPI)
5) Better design (down to personal preference)

L640XL
1) Larger screen
2) Main camera and FF-Camera has better MP than the 830 [13MP+5MP vs 10MP+1MP]
3) BETTER BATTERY LIFE (This here is gold!)
4) Cheaper (Depends on your country. Here in Malaysia, the 640XL is cheaper)

Also, the reason why I suggest the XL instead of the 640 is because the 640XL has a matte back plate, which is much better looking/feeling. The glossy backs aren't really good as wear and tear effects is more obvious on them compared to matte back covers.

I guess that's about the only difference between the 640XL and the 830.

But if you want to downgrade, and have a bit of money to spare, I'd suggest you to look at the Lumia 930 or the HTC M8. Should still be a good phone, and it won't be too much of a step-down in terms of hardware-performance from a 950.

P/S: I'm running the current version of W10M on 830, and it runs smoothly. Only a few minor bugs here and there, but I believe MSFT will iron those out soon. They always do.

PP/S: Also, check out NuAns Neo. That phone is from Japan, and supports Continuum! Look it up!

Hugo Sundberg

May 19, 2014
Visit site
While the 950 obviously is the superior phone, the 830 in not in any sense a bad phone. I?m running the w10 insider preview on an 830 as my daily driver and it?s almost flawless. (minor bugs, no dealbreaker at all for me) I?ve had the 930 before this one and while the 830 is a little slower i like the over all feel of this phone over the 930. Also the 830 has "double tap to wake" and can be used with gloves witch the 950 cannot.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While the 950 obviously is the superior phone, the 830 in not in any sense a bad phone. I?m running the w10 insider preview on an 830 as my daily driver and it?s almost flawless. (minor bugs, no dealbreaker at all for me) I?ve had the 930 before this one and while the 830 is a little slower i like the over all feel of this phone over the 930. Also the 830 has "double tap to wake" and can be used with gloves witch the 950 cannot.

You can make your case as much as you want, but I made my decision long ago that the 830 was and is a poor product. It was marketed as a flagship, yet its SoC was not meaningfully better (if at all) than its predecessor (the 820) from 2 years prior. It was a low-end chip at the time it released, yet sold as something worthy of a high-end price tag of $450. Basically, it was a budget phone with a good camera and wireless charging.

I'm not going to start the argument of 830 vs. 950 because that's a laughable game to even try to play, the 950 would just take a massive dump on the 830. The 830 was overpriced, underpowered, and a phenomenal disappointment. Its only redeeming quality, in my eyes, was that it had some nice color options (I'd have liked the 950 to be sold in green and orange), but that doesn't make up for its price tag and hardware shortcomings. There's a reason they called it an "affordable flagship," then discontinued it 6 months later and pushed out the half-hearted 930, and it's that they knew it was disappointing and poorly marketed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You can make your case as much as you want, but I made my decision long ago that the 830 was and is a poor product. It was marketed as a flagship, yet its SoC was not meaningfully better (if at all) than its predecessor (the 820) from 2 years prior. It was a low-end chip at the time it released, yet sold as something worthy of a high-end price tag of $450. Basically, it was a budget phone with a good camera and wireless charging.

I'm not going to start the argument of 830 vs. 950 because that's a laughable game to even try to play, the 950 would just take a massive dump on the 830. The 830 was overpriced, underpowered, and a phenomenal disappointment. Its only redeeming quality, in my eyes, was that it had some nice color options (I'd have liked the 950 to be sold in green and orange), but that doesn't make up for its price tag and hardware shortcomings. There's a reason they called it an "affordable flagship," then discontinued it 6 months later and pushed out the half-hearted 930, and it's that they knew it was disappointing and poorly marketed.

The Lumia icon was discontinued 7 months after it's release. Doesn't make ita bad phone either. Plus I am Pretty sure the 830 came out after the 930

The 640 and xl were both lauded Lumia's and the 830 is comparable to both. Neither are bad devices. Just not comparable to 930/950

I will agree that Microsoft screwed it with pricing and labeling it the affordable flagship.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb