950XL Questions

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've read a lot about the 950XL. I've seen some good and a bit more bad about this phone, and it all has left me standing at the edge debating. Should I buy? Should I wait for the HP Falcon? Should I just keep my 640XL? Should I have another piece of carrot cake? Did I leave the oven on? Needless to say, I have a few questions. I can deal with most of the issues I've read about; but there are two issues that I've seen that I think would constantly bug me: the low level of screen brightness (especially compared to my 640XL) and text/MMS message issues.
Could any of you out there with a 640XL comment on the screen brightness and any issues that you might be having with text messaging??

Thank you

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak to screen brightness on a 640XL, but the 640 seems a little easier to control the 950XL. I have had no issues with SMS at all (AT&T).

I have been using a 950XL for about 10 days now. I basically bought it with the thought that I'd sell it, because I'm not generally a fan of the larger screen phones. But, this phone does not feel that big, and it's very light.

I still think I will probably end up with a 950, but the 950 XL has been very impressive. The camera is terrific. In fact, I texted my daughter some pics of snow here yesterday (actually taken at night), and her first comment back was - "wow - nice camera, what kind of phone is that". She has an iPhone 6, and she said that she could zoom in and really see the pic, and was very impressed.

To be honest, I'm still not sure I'd buy one new (I just wouldn't pay $650 for any phone, because they are all too easy to break), but I'd buy one used (like I did) in a second.

In fact, I may end up keeping this 950XL, or if I sell it, then try to get another one in a month or so.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I've read a lot about the 950XL. I've seen some good and a bit more bad about this phone, and it all has left me standing at the edge debating. Should I buy? Should I wait for the HP Falcon? Should I just keep my 640XL? Should I have another piece of carrot cake? Did I leave the oven on? Needless to say, I have a few questions. I can deal with most of the issues I've read about; but there are two issues that I've seen that I think would constantly bug me: the low level of screen brightness (especially compared to my 640XL) and text/MMS message issues.
Could any of you out there with a 640XL comment on the screen brightness and any issues that you might be having with text messaging??

Thank you

To be frank, the readability in different screen brightness levels will be based on the preference of each individual. I would suggest you to try out the 950XL at your local store and compare against your 640XL. That would be the best comparison.

As for the HP Falcon, none of us know much about it as it is not released it. We all know as much as you know from all the posts on the net. So have to wait for the release :)

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a 640 LTE, but honestly I only used it for a weekend as my primary phone. That said, it was really impressive and a good replacement for my broken 920. A few days later my 950xl arrived and I've been using it for just over a week and I love it. I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the 920 (wireless charging, NFC, both not in the 640) and WM10 has been perfect for me so far. The 640 is a very good phone, but it's going to remain a backup in case something happens to the 950.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Great information. Thank you all for replying. Looks like I'll be taking the 950XL plunge. :)
Thanks, again.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I bought a new, white 950 XL, yesterday, from a really good eBay seller, never-msrp, for $530.00. Seemed like a decent price, but I don't know. Should be here tomorrow (Wednesday). Waiting patiently. :)

@RumoredNow I tossed out the carrot cake and made oatmeal cookies instead. :)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If it helps, I just got a 950XL (I already have a 640XL which I think is great) and the 950XL is the far superior phone. Especially in terms of performance.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If it helps, I just got a 950XL (I already have a 640XL which I think is great) and the 950XL is the far superior phone. Especially in terms of performance.

Thanks for this. :)
I love my 640XL. For the price, it's an outstanding phone. I'm really looking forward to getting my new 950XL though.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just an FYI....
The 950XL that I bought from never_msrp on eBay and received today qualified for the free display dock. Just downloaded the Lumia Offers app, claimed the dock, got my verification email, and completed the order at the Microsoft online store. Awesome! :)

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just an FYI....
The 950XL that I bought from never_msrp on eBay and received today qualified for the free display dock. Just downloaded the Lumia Offers app, claimed the dock, got my verification email, and completed the order at the Microsoft online store. Awesome! :)

Single or Dual SIM?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos