I'm having trouble letting go of my L1520

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I was in your place. I needed to say goodbye to my beloved 1520 after painfull cost of screen repair and it was wise from me to get rid of it, but i still don't like that fact. I put it on sale and got big price tag on it.. hoped that no one will buy it.. but after 5 minutes, 5 MINUTES i pick a call and sold it for 300e
ROTFLMBO!!! Nice one. That's the thing about a 1520, it has a size that simply works. I have a coworker who have both the iphone and 1520. The phone that carries the sim is the 1520. It is the phone always on her desk and her iphone is used for apps not yet on our device she uses at work. But its has an understated look and feel I'm hoping to get in whatever will be described as the Surface phone or one of its models.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to be a buzzkill or a downer but battery life on W10 was no where near 8.1 on my old 640XL and a very big reason I won't put W10 on my 1520 yet.. 4 days mostly on stand-by with no sim card just doesn't sound impressive, I get a full 2 days out of my 1520 on 8.1 and this is with normal to heavy use, I imagine if I took out my sim and let it sit on stand-by it would go 6 days. Messanger/Skype are big battery drains with W10, when I ran W10 on my 640XL Messaging /Skype was sucking 32-40% of the battery alone, after signing out and uninstalling Skype Messaging was still draining 24-30%.
With no sim your Messaging isn't active at all I would assume..
I would love to put W10 on my 1520 but until people start reporting battery life somewhere near 8.1 on they're 1520s I just can't commit, 2 day battery with normal/heavy use is just a luxury I'm not willing to give up..

first off I did play around with the phone to play a couple of games (candy crush and solitaire) and to listen to music (Spotify) and surf the net. so with that said its still very impressive it lasted 4 days! NONE of my other phones lasted 4 days on one charge (talking about my Samsung note 3) and even my GF's Samsung Core LTE doesn't last 2 days! Like I said in my previous post install win 10 without from a back up or anything, install it like a newborn baby and don't put in the sim card till you've set it up completely... you should then see a difference in battery.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I always wondered if setting up the phone OS without the sim installed would mess up anything. I will try to do this on the 1520. Because I do charge my phone at night and whenever I'm driving, I will love the battery life. My Icon would last 2-3 days between charges. I only know because I was curious on how long it would last under very heavy use and W10M.

The more I think about it, the 1520 will keep me content until a true clear replacement is released. Plus you guys are so convincing with your love of this phone, you made me go out and get one! There's a reason even MS used it to showcase W10M.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For the times like next week when I'll be using REALLY heavy use in Florida using my 1520 daily for 8 straight days to talk, text, post photos, streaming music, GPS for traveling and my Golf GPS yardage app ect.. Days like that I'm on the go all day and having to stop and put it on a charger is not a option. This 1520 on 8.1 will handle the whole day and night, on W10 I highly doubt I'd get to the evening without it hitting critical.. Same holds true when I go to California in march, Outer Banks in July or any day I'm on the go all day..

Roger that.

In October, 2014 and again in October, 2015 my wife and I took extended vacations. The only way I can describe it is that for 30+ days each trip I hammered my 1520 with everything I could throw at it. Web Search, Comm, Navigation, hundreds of photos snapped daily, translator duty, etc. You name it, I made the phone do it. That battery just lasts and lasts. There were 3 days, if I remember correctly, on that first trip that I resorted to a power bank. Those were looooong days in very scenic spots with far too many photo ops. The second trip we were using a vehicle so I was topping up regularly. But that first trip we would go all day and into the night. My wife would run through 2 batteries on her digital camera (brand new ones in great shape) and I took at least as many pics with my 1520.3, plus made it do everything else.

1520.3 never been off official.

peterrey

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm getting as much battery life from my 1520 with the latest W10 as I did with 8.1. Agree totally with you that it is a fabulous phone.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
NONE of my other phones lasted 4 days on one charge (talking about my Samsung note 3) and even my GF's Samsung Core LTE doesn't last 2 days! Like I said in my previous post install win 10 without from a back up or anything, install it like a newborn baby and don't put in the sim card till you've set it up completely... you should then see a difference in battery.
I hear you there, I had every Galaxy S from 2 to 5 and did the Root Rom route and Note 3&4 and none could come close to the battery life of the 1520!! I did do the clean install of .29 & .36 never ran a backup/restore and battery life was never better then on 8.1.. Worse part was I couldn't get tyat 640XL back to 8.1, Windows Device/Phone Recovery could never get me back, errors or freezes so I just gave up before bricking it, don't want to go down that road with my 1520.

Roger that.

In October, 2014 and again in October, 2015 my wife and I took extended vacations. The only way I can describe it is that for 30+ days each trip I hammered my 1520 with everything I could throw at it. Web Search, Comm, Navigation, hundreds of photos snapped daily, translator duty, etc. You name it, I made the phone do it. That battery just lasts and lasts. There were 3 days, if I remember correctly, on that first trip that I resorted to a power bank. Those were looooong days in very scenic spots with far too many photo ops. The second trip we were using a vehicle so I was topping up regularly. But that first trip we would go all day and into the night. My wife would run through 2 batteries on her digital camera (brand new ones in great shape) and I took at least as many pics with my 1520.3, plus made it do everything else.

1520.3 never been off official.

RumoredNow there's not another phone out there that could do that that includes the 950/950XL..
It's arguably the best phone MS ever released..

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I always wondered if setting up the phone OS without the sim installed would mess up anything. I will try to do this on the 1520. Because I do charge my phone at night and whenever I'm driving, I will love the battery life. My Icon would last 2-3 days between charges. I only know because I was curious on how long it would last under very heavy use and W10M.

The more I think about it, the 1520 will keep me content until a true clear replacement is released. Plus you guys are so convincing with your love of this phone, you made me go out and get one! There's a reason even MS used it to showcase W10M.

Its hard to describe but it has a very dependable feeling about it.

Jas Holden

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I am Shocked to find that there must be a Golf Course in Outer Timbuktu, Siberia, that does not have USB charging ports on the Golf Carts, in the cars, in the Hotels and everywhere else.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Its in Extra, i have 10586.63 on my, L1520. go in Extra and then Display, you shud see the Color and brightness profile there.
And yea, whatever you said absolutely correct W10M on this fone, i use it as daily driver and my battery lasts abt 36-40 hours with medium to heavy use, when i say heavy use it means i browse or youtube for str8 1-2 hours a day for sure. somtimes it more than that. recentlly installed guitar flash and stickman soccer, so add abt an hour for these apps too, plus my hour of music over BT, going to and coming back home from work, i keep my Wifi cloud with me, so its always connected to it. . . . . i would rather wish they make a L1550 with SD820 and 3GB RAM QHD screen 6.5" maybe . . else im not leaving it for no 950XL :p

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'll never sell my Lumia 1520. I might actually buy a second unit instead. There's something special about the 1520 that I can't really put my finger on. I have a Huawei Mate S and an iPhone 6S Plus too, but using the 1520 is some kind of magic that I don't experience on my other phones. Funny thing is I can buy a new one from abroad and then sell them used here in my country and don't really lose any money. It's sought after here. Whenever a used one comes up it gets sold Quick.

Battery life has been good for me on latest builds. I can go three days on a charge and use it normally. Not heavy nor very light use.

bgaz

May 12, 2014
Visit site
You guys are absolutely right about the 1520. I got mine in April of 2014 and I just love love love this phone. I put Windows 10 on it in early December and it is flawless with 10 just at it was with 8.1. I plan to keep this phone for a long time. Shame you can't get a new battery for the 1520. Would be great once the battery is out of recharge cycles.

I can also confirm with .63 the color profiles are there still.

Long live the 1520!

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought you could get a new battery? Can anyone share some links of ones you've used that don't have any issues with charging and %?

bgaz

May 12, 2014
Visit site
You're right enthuz, there is a topic about replacing the 1520 battery in the 1520 forum I was just reading. Actually there is more than one topic.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The 950XL definitely doesn't tempt me for two reasons. Firstly, the screen is noticeably smaller at 5.7" (doesn't sound much but it's very obvious if you look at the comparisons on YouTube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxdrjJ073oI

Secondly, the three buttons occupy the bottom of the screen, rather than having their own space below it. Yes, you can set it so they disappear until you flick them up, but it is less convenient than them having their own separate row. Also, it makes the total glass height somewhat less, so the phone should fit in your pocket better as well as being cheaper to make. But I don't care about the size - I'd prefer the buttons to be permanently visible on their own separate row.

I'm sticking out for a Surface Phone (although I bet I can't afford one).

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
So funny! I was just looking at that video. I'm now impatiently waiting for mine to be delivered tomorrow. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. :winktongue:

I went to the carrier store today to pickup a sim and the rep was talking about how much he loved his and wouldn't give it up for anything.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the 1520.3 will hold me over fine until some Intel based Windows Phone. Although I'd be just as happy seeing some larger device, 7-8 inch that ran Windows 10 Mobile I think the OS just works... And I'm fearful there may not be a 6inch Windows phone in the future.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
so last week I installed win 10 on my L1520 and have been fooling around with it for a few days... first off win 10 is working flawless so far as I can tell and the battery OMG the battery (with no sim card in it mind you, but wifi and BT still on) lasts like 4 days!! now I haven't played a lot with it and it has been in standby most of those 4 days, but still! I'm shocked it still lasts for 4 days with no charge! I have my phone up for sale but I'm hoping nobody will buy it LOL ... there is one weird thing tho that happened, when I first installed win 10 I had the option to choose VIVID in my color profile in the extras setting. then after I did a reset to install an update and the second time around I lost that option... can anyone who installed win 10 on their L1520 confirm that they have/haven't got the color profile setting in extras? all in all my L1520 got a second life with win 10 and I can't believe they are not including the win 10 update for this device... in fact I think I know why, they don't want to ruin sales of their L950XL that the L1520 can ruin for them... this phone is such a beast even after 2 years on the market. I don't think this phone will ever meet EOL anytime soon!
When i first installed 10 on my 640XL it was flawless too. But as time passes by, problems starts springing up that only hard resets can fix, so keep your fingers crossed :X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99