Which USB-C cables work well with Lumia 950?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me. I just ordered three of these, 3ft, $6 each.

Not sure if this applies to you, but I just returned 3 of the same cable today to amazon. Don't get me wrong, the cable works fine, with the 56k pull up and stuff, but my biggest issue with this particular brand is that the USB-C end doesn't hold on to my 950's USB-C socket well enough to ensure a reliable connection. From what I see, seems like there is a spring-loaded clamp-like mechanism at the very tip of USB-C plug to try hold the plug inside the socket, and this cable's clamp is barely working. The OEM cable that comes with the phone in box, on the other hand, has a more visible/tigher clamp and holds on to 950 much better. I'm going thru the painful process of trial and error to find what works for me, hopefully I can find a fit soon.

Italianoleone

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to buy 950. I don't know a lot about USB-C cables BUT shouldn't we be able to buy one at the Microsoft Store and avoid all this trial end error with third party cables? What prevents me to buy an USB-C cable at the Microsoft Store?

Other question. Almost all dual car chargers with two USB outputs have one USB-A and one USB-C output. Why is there an USB-C output? Which one should I use? So should I buy an USB-C to USB-C or USB-A to USB-C cable? What's the difference in general between the two?

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
update: Bought 3x GVDV cable for $5 each, and to me at least, it's a much better fit. Pretty thick braided cable, metallic-feeling plugs, and most importantly the C end holds very sturdy in 950 socket. The only downside is that they only come in bright metallic colors which is a big contrast to my black 950/black case/black battery pack, but I can live with that.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to buy 950. I don't know a lot about USB-C cables BUT shouldn't we be able to buy one at the Microsoft Store and avoid all this trial end error with third party cables? What prevents me to buy an USB-C cable at the Microsoft Store?

Other question. Almost all dual car chargers with two USB outputs have one USB-A and one USB-C output. Why is there an USB-C output? Which one should I use? So should I buy an USB-C to USB-C or USB-A to USB-C cable? What's the difference in general between the two?

sure you can get one at MSFT store, but I'd rather not pay $20 for a cable.

I'm not sure you can say "almost all" car chargers comes with A+C output. a lot of them still have only A. To me, the main *potential* benefit is that if you have a C-C cable that supports high power output you might be able to charge your phone faster than ever, provided that BOTH your phone and your charger supports it.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this applies to you, but I just returned 3 of the same cable today to amazon.
Just received them. They work perfectly for me, snug, not too snug. Of course they jumped from $6 to $9 since I bought them.. ugh. So maybe just look at all cables reviewed by Leung, see if they get 4.5+ stars, and get the best price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos