Lumia 950 XL (HK Variant) stuck in Airplane mode..any ideas?

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL (HK Variant) stuck in Airplane mode....

My Lumia 950 XL recently got a prompt to restart my phone as there was some update to the SIM settings, but now my phone is stuck in Airplane mode. The action center toggle doesn't work, and when I go into the settings, the toggle stays "on" even when I try to toggle it.

So I tried to hard resetting it, once using the Settings>About>Reset Phone, also also once using the button combo to hard reset. I also just tried the Windows Device Recovery Tool, and its still stuck in Airplane mode...

I know the SIM works, as I have it running fine on my Lumia 640 backup phone.

As far as I know, the HK warranty doesn't transfer to other countries (I live in Canada).

Any ideas?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 XL (HK Variant) stuck in Airplane mode....

Sorry to hear that. I had this on a Lumia 1520 and was never able to resolve it. In my case I suspect it was hardware related, but if so it's pretty bad that the OS reports this as 'airplane mode'. If you do a google search for airplane mode stuck 1520 you'll see a lot of related threads, but this is the first one I see for one of the 950 models.

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 XL (HK Variant) stuck in Airplane mode....

I guess I'll try my luck at the local MS store. I'm thinking its a firmware related issue, where the SIM setting update I got messed up the firmware somehow (when I go into Settings>About, the IMEI isn't listed, and shows some weird squares by MEID, but in advanced info IMEI is listed).

I've heard people have been using the access point app to fix it on WP8.1 but that's not available in WM10.

hkchuang0212

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I also have the same problem as what you have described (eg. SIM info changes because I switch different SIM when I went to EU). I bought Lumia 950 XL in HK, but I stay in Taiwan. I had this problem 10 days ago. And I have sent my phone for repair in Taiwan. Finally, they told me that it seems one file was lost so that the phone stays in fly mode. They said Microsoft does not provide the file, so the phone can not be recovered to the normal state. My last chance is to send the phone back to HK. If you have any find outs, please share. Thank you.

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Let me know if you're able to get it fixed in HK. I'll be going at the end of April so I'll probably pop by the MS store there to get it fixed or exchanged.

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I also have the same problem as what you have described (eg. SIM info changes because I switch different SIM when I went to EU). I bought Lumia 950 XL in HK, but I stay in Taiwan. I had this problem 10 days ago. And I have sent my phone for repair in Taiwan. Finally, they told me that it seems one file was lost so that the phone stays in fly mode. They said Microsoft does not provide the file, so the phone can not be recovered to the normal state. My last chance is to send the phone back to HK. If you have any find outs, please share. Thank you.

Hey, I finally got my phone to work! First I tried using the Windows Device Recovery Tool to install the latest firmware, but it didn't work. I then tried the Windows Phone Image Designer from xda developers forum to install the latest firmwre, and it worked this time. Let me know if you're still trying to fix yours.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I finally got my phone to work! First I tried using the Windows Device Recovery Tool to install the latest firmware, but it didn't work. I then tried the Windows Phone Image Designer from xda developers forum to install the latest firmwre, and it worked this time. Let me know if you're still trying to fix yours.

Hi,

I am in need of the steps you made to fix your lumia. I want to fix mine. Please link me to the tutorial or please assist me in getting this done.

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
so I have fixed my phone.

Issue ?

I dropped my phone and then , I got the message saying something like "SIM got updated and phone needs a restart". It restarted and then my phone always goes to flight mode.

I googled a bit and find it is software issue. Since I missed the USB cable I tried to download insider build and install new firmware. That doesnt work. And then I get the USB and flashed the new firmware and it is working good.

I blindly followed these things

1) Tutorial | Microsoft Lumia devices and Nokia… | Windows 10 Development and Hacking
2) http://www.lumiafirmware.com/info

It got fixed.

If you can't able to fix through above use the below method

DeBrand / ReInstall ROM to your Lumia 950/95… | Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL

Hope it will help someone who will face the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven