New 950 XL No Problems Whatsoever

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I dunno about facebook messenger but everything is instant for me with whatsapp.

Are you on WiFi or mobile data?

It seems better on WiFi but they're not instant (have WhatsApp web open for example and compare). Messenger is awful. Live scores are awful (as I've said in another post I had a half-time alert 20 minutes after half-time). For me it's anything using push notifications.

Phone gets very hot as well - I've factory reset it, updated to .63, etc. but it still get's hot when I'm not really doing anything (two apps open - messenger and WhatsApp). So I'm not entirely sure what it's doing. The apps, especially messenger, looks like it's closing when you change apps (I get the occasional message saying that the message could not be sent as the app was closed) even though I'm not closing it.

Some of it is definitely the Apps being poorly written. I'm getting more and more convinced that there's an issue with the Microsoft Push Notification Service as well.

David Parody

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Had my 950XL since it was released in the UK in middle of Dec. Loving every aspect of it. Soon after receiving it I dropped and broke the main camera glass and camera. Bought genuine replacements and replaced them myself..to great results.. was actually really easy to tear down the phone and put it all back together again.

Every now and again I notice the phone restart itself, which is weird. Otherwise extremely stable and solid performer. As a heavy power user I would like the battery to last a bit longer but so far have managed to get through a working day without having to recharge.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't dare let the battery on the 950 get low, I charge it every night, while I sleep. When I got
the phone, the battery was almost all used, it got VERY hot while charging, I kept it on the
kitchen counter, so I wasn't worried about a fire. Now the phone does get warm on charging, but
not as hot as when the battery is almost complete gone.
I have a Nokia 520, which was my first Windows 10 test phone, and compared to the 950, it's
still responds better then the 950, with the same build. Some times I wonder if the 950 should be
listed as a GO phone too.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you on WiFi or mobile data?

It seems better on WiFi but they're not instant (have WhatsApp web open for example and compare). Messenger is awful. Live scores are awful (as I've said in another post I had a half-time alert 20 minutes after half-time). For me it's anything using push notifications.

I'm on both mobile and wifi depending where I'm at. At home usually wifi and laptop wired, at work wired to work network, phone on data. I love whatsapp web. Not once did I feel like it was not coming together fast enough. Like a 1 or 2 second delay is not anything I'm worried about. Infact it's almost embarrassing when a lot of chatter is going on cause I get notification sound on my laptop and notification sound on my phone and it gets crazy :)

Gmail pushes onto desktop and phone the same time or split second apart. IMAP accounts too and outlook exchange.

I am pissed off about Alphajax because they need to fix those notifications! From my 920, it was perfect, sound and live tile... 930, I lost the toast notification but had live tile. Now onto my 950xl, NOTHING. So weird thought, my wife 625 had nothing as well but when I moved her onto my 930, she started getting live tile notifications.

I use app NHL Scores & Alerts and get notifications for score changes about 30s-1 min after the actual event happens but that's more on when the feed gets updated to push out the notification.

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
That's really odd. I'd be happy within a minute or so.

What happens on mine is absolutely nothing. Then all hell breaks loose on my phone with the notification app going mental trying to catch up with all of the missed notifications. We're talking around 30 minutes (not seconds) after the message at least.

Messenger is far worse. It also gets a lot worse on a 4G connection. On WiFi it's about 5-10 minutes apart on 4G it's around 30+ minutes.

If they fixed that then I'd be happy with the phone to be honest.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
That's really odd. I'd be happy within a minute or so.

What happens on mine is absolutely nothing. Then all hell breaks loose on my phone with the notification app going mental trying to catch up with all of the missed notifications. We're talking around 30 minutes (not seconds) after the message at least.

Messenger is far worse. It also gets a lot worse on a 4G connection. On WiFi it's about 5-10 minutes apart on 4G it's around 30+ minutes.

If they fixed that then I'd be happy with the phone to be honest.

My notification experience is pretty good. Since I'm still evaluating the 950xl I still have my Lumia Icon active (Icon on Verizon and 950 on T-Mobile). I carry them both everywhere I go and when I'm home they both sit right next to each other. I get notifications for breaking news, emails, facebook, and FB messenger. both phones get the notifications at the same time. If I have FB open on my PC, its rather comical hearing all the notification tones popping up at nearly the same time on every device. My wife on the other hand finds it quite annoying. I am not running the Insider Preview, just the latest firmware and release software.

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Odd. Again are you predominently on wireless?

Strange that it's working for some and not for others. Can I ask what version you're on? Is there also anyway to just stay at one version - once I did the restore with Windows Phone Utility it then proceeded to download an update almost immediately afterwards.

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
That's great but sucks that you won't get Band 12 support WiFi calling virtual voicemail and other little swifty T-Mobile features.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Odd. Again are you predominently on wireless?

Strange that it's working for some and not for others. Can I ask what version you're on? Is there also anyway to just stay at one version - once I did the restore with Windows Phone Utility it then proceeded to download an update almost immediately afterwards.

I'd estimate that I'm on wifi about 65 to 70% of the time. But I don't notice a difference with notifications between wifi and wireless.
I'm using the latest release build (not the insider preview).

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
That's great but sucks that you won't get Band 12 support WiFi calling virtual voicemail and other little swifty T-Mobile features.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL

True but I didn't have those on Verizon so I guess I don't miss what I didn't have

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, my 30 day trial with my 950XL on T-Mobile is over. I am happy to report that I have decided to keep the 950 XL and I have ported my number to T-Mobile. For the past 30 days the phone has been rock solid. No random restarts, no excessive battery drain, no dropped calls, Bluetooth seems to be working fine with my headset and band, wifi is working normally on my 2.4ghz router. I know some are reporting some problems but I seem to be having none. The only issue I have had in the past 30 days was that at one point FB messenger app became greyed out and I had to uninstall and reinstall. during the past 30 days, the 950 XL had notably fewer issues than what I had been used to on the Icon and less issues than my wife had on her iPhone 6. I am very happy with how its been performing for me.

I'm not a power user. I use the phone mostly for the phone, texting, email and the calendar. I only have a handful of apps that I use on a regular basis. They all work as good or better than they did on the Icon. The camera is amazing and the battery lasts all day. I'm so glad I ignored the negative posts and bought this phone. Its the best phone I have ever owned to date. I cant comment on continuum since the display dock is still on back order but I cant wait to give that a try

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12