[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 550?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you just unboxed a Lumia 550? Is it so recent that you haven't stopped fiddling with it yet? Which variant did you get?

Give us some quick thoughts on how you like your new device. What stands out right away as a major draw? What seems to be lacking?

Are you happy you got it? Why? Why not?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My first impression was that it feels great in the hand! So good. For a thicker device, it doesn't feel like a brick at all. The one I had didn't come with a USB cable at all, which was a little strange to me, but neither does the 435 so eh. Having Glance on a device of this size and specs is great!

The fact that I can use it one-handed easily is great.

Last edited:

the user

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I got it just to have something as a testbed for Windows 10 and use as a 1st gen iPod Touch replacement. Comparing the two, weight feels about the same which surprised me. The phone feels great in the hand - the shape is comfortable and the size is just right for comfortable use. My main device is a Lumia 1020 so the 550 doesn't feel thick at all. Actually it's the opposite - it looks reasonably thin to me. Though of course it's noticeably thicker than the old iPod.

I have the white variant and surprisingly I really like the white glossy finish - hides fingerprints well (can't say the same about the screen glass) and doesn't feel 'slimy', like my matte 1020 can sometimes feel after not being cleaned for a while. Though of course it never feels as solidly built and dense as my 1020 (and it's not meant to be). Yes, the phone feels hollow because there's a gap between the battery and the cover and there's some give in the cover because of that. Strangely, the 630 I bought for my mom as a first smartphone last year feels more solid and better built just because it doesn't have that give in the back cover. But for 120 euros I can't complain. The 640 is more expensive here and that made the 550 a good deal.

What really surprised me on this phone is the screen. I think it's rather good - it can get really bright and pixel density is adequate (better than my 1020s just because it doesn't have a pentile matrix which can show jaggies in some instances). Also, screen's color accuracy is decent. Especially for the budget. Much better than my 1020s which has a greenish/yellowish tint that is not correctable through settings (and that always astonished me how a photography oriented phone has such an inaccurate screen).

All in all, hardware wise it's a nice little package for the money. What lets it down is software.

Last edited:

guidos dad01

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
OK so I've been looking at stuff on line and reading about the 550 and debating on getting one and finally hit the buy button yesterday. Anxious now to get it and try out. For the price I like the looks of it to try out as my daily use around work and day to day travel about phone. I want to see if the smaller size of the 550 will suit me better around work where I'm on email, note taking, shooting photos around the shop. I'm on a OnePlus One which I've had for about a year now. I like android for all the social things and apps available, and the OnePlus itself I do like. The 5.5 size of it though tends to get a bit awkward in the hand for me so I want to try cutting back to the 4.7 on the 550 plus the use of the windows phone for business and day to day around town phone needs. Will continue to use the OnePlus as my at home "tablet" for reading and listening to my Apple Music at home in the evenings. Let ya know later after I get the 550 how my "experiment" works out for me.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Joedels

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I can only back this up. Solid little phone for the price. I used a Lumia 925 before and I agree with every single thing you said (especially that yellow/green tint on the screen).
I'm using a Galaxy S6 as my primary device now and obviously the L550 doesn't stand a chance. But that's a completely different price range as well. All in all the device is worth it, but W10M still needs a lot of work.

n-w

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Great screen
Good battery life - once you do all of the updates - OS and windows store apps
Edge browser needs some attention. Not all pages load and hyperlinks are hard to click.
Overall a very good phone for the price.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Love it i was used to 630, so feels like an upgrade of that, and glance at last. 640 was just that bit to large for me, 550 was the sweet spot.for one handed use. I am after the mat black back case though, as I'm using white gloss one. If anyone knows where to buy the battery covers in black much appreciated thanks.

Coyotekisses

May 21, 2016
Visit site
As far as the hardware and operating system is concerned - It's a great phone! The plastic case feels a little flimsy, but for the price it is to be expected. I am glad that I have one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs