[Real Users] My Lumia 550 Detailed Review

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Who has a Lumia 550? Which Variant?

What's the good, the bad and the ugly? How long have you had it and what do you think?

Put your User Review here to help others. The more detail the better, we really appreciate hearing how it performs in the field.

Here is a quick spec sheet.:
4.7" display, 720p, 315ppi
Snapdragon 210 SoC
8 GB internal storage, 1 GB RAM, microSD slot
4G LTE cat 4 capable (150/50mbps)
5 MP rear camera, f/2.4, LED flash, 720p@30fps
2 MP ffc, f/2.4, 480p
2100 mAh battery

We want to see your in-depth reviews here. Also for quick posts about the device as you get used to it, we have another thread as well. [Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 550?

Looking forward to seeing both of these threads fill up with 550 goodness!!!

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I tried out the 550 for a little bit, and I did do a LONG post comparing it with the BLU Win HD LTE. So I will summarize (well, this went out the window, lol) all of those points for a review that will hopefully help someone out, minus the comparing because this is not the thread for that.

Random order to follow:
-Cameras: Decent in daylight actually. Don't let the megapixels fool you there. I found myself satisfied with pictures taken in those settings. It makes it even better that the camera on the back isn't fixed focus. Sometimes I found myself lost where to tap to take a picture, but that was just my introduction to Windows 10 Mobile, so take this statement with a grain of salt. However, in low light situations, it is a sour experience, especially for video, regardless of which of the cameras. With the front camera, you can video chat with it in low light, but the picture would be horrible for you. I have found the experience to make the scene very yellow. For the rear camera, you might have to wait for it to stabilize to not be as yellow. The flash is decent in low light, and it can help improve the situation. For the front camera, video in such conditions is very grainy and I wouldn't recommend. Somehow it is more yellow than the back camera is, even after waiting for it to stabilize. Adjusting the ISO or shutter speed, can improve that a bit, if needed.

-Connectivity: I am a T-Mobile customer, so I'm basing my experience on this. I have had no issues with LTE at all. I noticed that when making a call, it dropped to 4G (but that is great!). WiFi connectivity is also very good too, never lost WiFi or felt like it was weaker than usual.

-Sound: The sound quality is good enough. It's loud enough to be heard but it's not amazing. Speakerphone was the same experience. I didn't have no issues being heard or trying to hear someone talking to me. I found myself having to increase the volume to make it a little bit louder for it to match the levels of what I'm used to. It has the same issue as the 640 with the ringer being more silent on paper and cloth, but more so. However, it's only slightly worse and not much worse.

-Screen: It's nice. Based on resolution, it has the same as the 640, and you can see that well, just on a smaller display. It looks good! I personally felt like I had to dim the screen because it just felt too bright, but that's more of an OS thing.

-Battery life was good in my experience, I always had a day and some, which is pretty much my normal battery usage.

-It feels nice in the hand. Even though it is kind of thick, it doesn't feel like a brick at all.

-I didn't feel like it ever ran slow with anything I wanted to do. I saw occasional resuming screens, but it was usually at the fault of the app. It has Glance by the way!

As for the OS itself, I really didn't have any issues but however, I advise doing a fresh install (your contacts will still be there, don't worry). Make sure that you check for updates almost immediately and install them! In my case, I updated the phone first, and then I went into the store to check for updates for all of the apps and installed those. That's the best way to avoid issues.

Since this is a detailed review thread, I will not do a tl;dr here. :grin: Seriously though, I enjoyed my time with the phone, and I liked it a lot. I would recommend it, it's a solid device! The reason I no longer have mine is because of low light performance with yellow pictures and such. That is something that is very important to me, so it had to go. If this is not an issue for you though, I think you'll be pleased with this phone which I consider to be the best 5xx Lumia ever. Yes, I said ever! All around, it wins greatly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6