Real reasons for purchasing the Lumia 950/XL?

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
If something goes really wrong due to updates and such I'll just revert back to the 930 until things get sorted out.

Thank you, a good perspective. I had a Lumia 520 three years ago, which btw was absolutely wonderful on WP 8.1! Post that I opted for the Note 3 (for the S Pen), and then got invested in the Android ecosystem. Now I have a Nexus 6P, which by all means is a superb Android device, and my Note has gone to my wife (she is very happy with all the shopping and to-do lists she can write on the screen :smile:)

I think I am judging Windows 10 Mobile based on the fact how crappy it was on the Lumia 520. Gosh those fabled resuming screens and super-lag! Then apps wouldn't update sometimes, and when they did some would break etc. I kept reverting back to WP8.1, and was astonished at the night and day difference. I tried using it as my daily driver on W10M, but would get frustrated by the end of the day. Since I could not do complete justice to the insider program, I shut my Lumia, and went back to my Android.

That experience taught me I don't have the patience to test out unreleased software. It also taught me that curiosity does kill the cat sometimes. I have not had the chance to restart my Lumia and install any latest builds yet (the last I installed was 10586.36) so I don't know what to expect currently.

So here is where my gripe lies - I am unwilling to jump ecosystems and put money down for a new phone, if I have to again enroll into the Insider Program (and I know I will want to, coz I'm the sucker that can't keep his hands to himself :amaze:). People that say the issues have been ironed out, how feature packed and stable are the RTM builds compared to, in my case, a Nexus 6P on stock Android? Is it a good buy in its current state?

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I am already in MS eco-system and don't want to switch. Plus I don't like Android, IOS is a nice platform but I feel the UI is too dull.
  • I need Windows Hello, I use the phone to receive company emails, due to company policy I have to set a very long PIN. Hello does help - I can unlock the phone in about half second to 1 second most of the time. Though I still prefer finger print option if available.
  • Camera - needless to say.
  • I have never owned a flagship phone before. This is my first expensive phone.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, a good perspective. I had a Lumia 520 three years ago, which btw was absolutely wonderful on WP 8.1! Post that I opted for the Note 3 (for the S Pen), and then got invested in the Android ecosystem. Now I have a Nexus 6P, which by all means is a superb Android device, and my Note has gone to my wife (she is very happy with all the shopping and to-do lists she can write on the screen :smile:)

I think I am judging Windows 10 Mobile based on the fact how crappy it was on the Lumia 520. Gosh those fabled resuming screens and super-lag! Then apps wouldn't update sometimes, and when they did some would break etc. I kept reverting back to WP8.1, and was astonished at the night and day difference. I tried using it as my daily driver on W10M, but would get frustrated by the end of the day. Since I could not do complete justice to the insider program, I shut my Lumia, and went back to my Android.

That experience taught me I don't have the patience to test out unreleased software. It also taught me that curiosity does kill the cat sometimes. I have not had the chance to restart my Lumia and install any latest builds yet (the last I installed was 10586.36) so I don't know what to expect currently.

So here is where my gripe lies - I am unwilling to jump ecosystems and put money down for a new phone, if I have to again enroll into the Insider Program (and I know I will want to, coz I'm the sucker that can't keep his hands to himself :amaze:). People that say the issues have been ironed out, how feature packed and stable are the RTM builds compared to, in my case, a Nexus 6P on stock Android? Is it a good buy in its current state?

The last two phones are very nice. Slim and beautiful, great camera, but the OS is still having problems. IF you do not care about the existing issues in the OS, go a buy a 950 or XL, they are worth it.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
All flagships are expensive. I don't consider it overpriced considering the price of flagship android and the large iPhone.

Well, if you take the phone as HW is not expensive at all, it packs many great things. But the OS is not even close to that price point in the state it is now.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
1. Latest Lumia
2. First Windows Mobile 10
3. Liquid cooling and Windows Hello bragging rights
4. The "I'm different look at my phone rub it in your face" attitude
5. Oh and texting, definitely just gonna use it as a cellphone as intended

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I had a Nokia Lumia 920 and when the time came to replace it, I wanted to stay with Lumia. I had bought the 920 because I liked the look of it and its GUI, and I wanted to be different (in a country where most people drive a Toyota or a GMC, I own a Renault). I have to admit that Lumia 950 XL doesn't look as good as the old 920, but I think it is still better than a Galaxy (except Edge, perhaps) or an iPhone. It's cheaper (even if marginally) than a comparable iPhone. I can use my wireless charger bought for the 920 to charge the 950 XL.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
wp_ss_20160127_0001.jpg
Not yet. But here it is.

I have no resuming issues on my 950XL. No rebooting since the latest firmware/insider update.
950XL advantage over 6P:
- USB Type C
- Better camera
- more natural flash (seriously)
- Wireless charging
- iris scanner (better in winter if it applies to you)
- better screen to body ratio
- replaceable back and battery
- expandable storage of up to 2Tb (once already available)
- modern OS with much room for improvement

6P advantages over 950XL:
- apps (depending on what you use)
- front facing speakers
- fingerprint scanner if you don't dig iris
- more matured OS

Android is getting old, no matter how much they skin it, it just looks old. Evaluate your needs. Will you survive Windows 10's app collection? What are the things that you are looking for in a phone and OS? The 6P is a good phone, its got the latest hardware.

What apps do you use regularly, or what apps can you not live without?
If first on the list is Clash of Clans or Snapchat, just keep the 6P.

Last edited:

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It's been some time since Windows Phone stole me away from my extreme devotion towards Android. Simply put, I really like the platform. Settings isn't a confusing mess like it was on any of my LGs/Samsungs, achievements in games actually count towards the same Gamerscore I have on my XBOX/Windows machines, the Lumia camera experience is simply superb and battery life has been traditionally far better than my droids and especially better than my iPhone.

Though the app gap is the most talked about thing on Windows Phone, we do have hundreds of thousands of apps and the average user has about 42, I decided to see if I could find what I needed within the ecosystem (and I did... relatively easily). Finding apps has never been a problem for me... finding hardware that satisfied me was a pain the neck though.

I went over the previous mention in great detail in my FULL REVIEW of the Lumia 950, but - in a nutshell - I bought my Lumia 950 because I wanted something powerful and GSM-capable that wasn't a freaking mammoth like the 1520 is.

Kept it because my unit (and the majority) has been free of the bugs reported, meaning it's been a high-powered and competent device throughout the tons of gaming, work, travel, leisure, social networking, media consumption and shooting pictures/video that I expect a smartphone to handle.

Last edited:

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Reason:

It is no worse or better then other flagships in this day, so it is more to OS and design preference.

I really love both 950/950XL, OS, design, Camera and so on, there are flaws, there really is, but it will get better over time, like every other products from other companies, loved Lumias from the beginning and still to this day, oh and since 3310! For several years I only considered Lumias and Xperias, so Second would be SONY and maybe Samsung, don't really like anything about iPhones. And somehow in todays world having a Lumia flagship is more prestige and innovative, then mainstream ones.

Lastly, don't believe in any reviews, try yourself and decide.

mdefran65

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Because Microsoft has vision across all devices. Apple and Google, they just want to sell phones and make money. Microsoft genuinely wants to make my life easier.

permo

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
My experience having my 950 XL for two months

Hello all!
When I bought my 950XL late november last year I owned a 920 which was stolen from me and then replaced by a 1520. This phablet is now my stationary GPS and roadcamera in my Saab TID SC:grin:.
In these two months of practicing my new 950XL there is many aspects of experience. As many other WM10- users I also don't like the way MS is updating the OS; that said I must admit that the .63 version is very stabil and used as my daily driver. No reset has been done except when the battery was empty.
The camera is awesome and can put up with everything compareable from other phones and OS- the same counts for the Display dock- a wonderful solution for using the phone on big screens!
The future will show how this will end up with when it comes to marketshare etc. but here in Europe/Norway most people buy Iphone or Android; yes even my wife, children and sons in law use other phones than WM (I am sorry to admit that). The main reason for my choice of OS is my work as an IT- professional and windowsuser from early -80 and up to this day. I think the finetuning between Windows- devices talk for themselves.
If anybody is in doubt buying a WM-phone; I say: Do not hesitate; especially the flag**** 950XL is a great device and will keep you connected for years to come. Good luck everyone!

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just a tidbit for the folks that feel like they are on an island..............

Last night I had dinner at my neighbors house. He is my software programmer and is responsible for our corporate W10 universal apps. So it isn't a real surprise that he carries a 1520. While "discussing shop", his wife asked if she could download one of her husbands apps to see what we are talking about. I then realized she carried a L830.

Then 2 of the other guests both stated they have Windows phones too. He carried yet another 1520 and his wife a 1020. So there we were, 5 folks sitting around dinner ALL with Windows phones. Of course my 950XL was the hit of the party as I Miracasted an episode of our study-group video onto his 55" television. :)

So back on topic: There are REAL reasons to buy a new Lumia.

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Just a tidbit for the folks that feel like they are on an island..............

Last night I had dinner at my neighbors house. He is my software programmer and is responsible for our corporate W10 universal apps. So it isn't a real surprise that he carries a 1520. While "discussing shop", his wife asked if she could download one of her husbands apps to see what we are talking about. I then realized she carried a L830.

Then 2 of the other guests both stated they have Windows phones too. He carried yet another 1520 and his wife a 1020. So there we were, 5 folks sitting around dinner ALL with Windows phones. Of course my 950XL was the hit of the party as I Miracasted an episode of our study-group video onto his 55" television. :)

So back on topic: There are REAL reasons to buy a new Lumia.
This is rare, I have to say 😏

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb