70 Battery Use by Messaging+Skype?

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had an issue of the messaging app using a lot of the battery, to the point my phone was running warm idle and it was draining faster than I could charge my phone on the car. I disable messaging form running in the background. And then later I turned it back on and the problem did not return. It was almost like something in the messaging app got stuck running in the background. It is the only time I have had any serious battery drain issues, and it was only the one time.

IFLYME

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: 70% Battery Use by Messaging+Skype

Lumia 950 is amazing, but the messaging and Skype app sucks so the juice from the battery and I can't even get a full day of light-moderate use at this point. So, I tried unselecting the sync setting in messaging and Skype (some reports said that was the culprit), but that didn't make a dent in the battery draw.
Thanks for the advice on killing Skype (signing out). Hopefully that works. Anyone else find any other answers?
The only problem is that I actually use Skype, especially when abroad.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
But I thought the issue for messaging and skype was background use.. I do open it daily... though I don't really do a lot of messages on it... it's mostly IM+ and whatsapp for my messaging.

No for me it was until I disabled it from the app. After that I saw a huge difference in battery life.
In case of WhatsApp, it takes less battery as I am heavy user of it.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
No for me it was until I disabled it from the app. After that I saw a huge difference in battery life.
In case of WhatsApp, it takes less battery as I am heavy user of it.
Oh you don't actually see the app listed as high Battery usage you mean? I have to just turn it off and see?

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I meant like Amazon or eBay?

No 950XL batteries even on Amazon or eBay nothing at all. But just imagine MS sells 950XL but no batteries, no flip cases, and when aking MS Stores for those items sellers respond in a nose up manner as though MS Stores are above and beyond selling stupid batteries:amaze:

BigMoose2491

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I was having the same problem with my 1020. A soft reset worked fine for a while: Press and hold the power button and volume down button until it vibrates 3 separate times.

It worked like a charm.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh you don't actually see the app listed as high Battery usage you mean? I have to just turn it off and see?
For skype? Well you can try and see as your experience may vary. I am telling you my experience which actually works as Skype is a battery hog. So yeah go for it

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
No 950XL batteries even on Amazon or eBay nothing at all. But just imagine MS sells 950XL but no batteries, no flip cases, and when aking MS Stores for those items sellers respond in a nose up manner as though MS Stores are above and beyond selling stupid batteries:amaze:

Oh I see. Sorry to see your having a bad experience

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
SKYPE needing frequent resets in order to stop over-draining battery must be an unworthy app :cry:

Haha
Skype sucks on windows phone period.
From windows phone 8.1 till now, it sucks and will suck. Why? Because MS is so busy developing for iOS and android and because of these little things, other devs are pulling out. E.g just today Wechat said they have halted W10 app develop. Now for me its not an issue but for others it is. Their reason? When MS is busy focusing on other platforms while they're users are leaving and MS is doing nothing about them, then why should we?
I agree with them and MS deserves this. Satya has messed this company badly

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 950 is amazing, but the messaging and Skype app sucks so the juice from the battery and I can't even get a full day of light-moderate use at this point. So, I tried unselecting the sync setting in messaging and Skype (some reports said that was the culprit), but that didn't make a dent in the battery draw.
Thanks for the advice on killing Skype (signing out). Hopefully that works. Anyone else find any other answers?
The only problem is that I actually use Skype, especially when abroad.

You can try the app as it takes less battery than the built in one for now. If they do under the hood optimizations, then there is hope as there ain't no W10 universal app either

MIGU3L666

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site

What you can do is look in the store and install the app Messages + and deactivate the other background app with Skype. It's a lil' tad different from the usual one, but it is made by MS and works good without weight on battery. Try it and say something! :smile:

Manfred Pohler

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
That "Skype Messaging Integration" made me leave skype on WM.
I use skype - on the desktop and from time to time on my phone.
Bu after that "integration" I stopped using it in my phone - drains battery is annoying...
YES I want to write a SMS - NO I don't want to write a skype message - NO!!!!!
New Skype Message - OK I'll check it later....
Uuuuups it was a SMS - the service we use for short IMPORTANT information...

Logged of - disabled where ever possible - now my 950XL is a much better device than before :angel:

Mesbah

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site

What you can do is look in the store and install the app Messages + and deactivate the other background app with Skype. It's a lil' tad different from the usual one, but it is made by MS and works good without weight on battery. Try it and say something! :smile:
MS Store shows 216 apps when I search for Messages + but none found with that name.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

MS Store shows 216 apps when I search for Messages + but none found with that name.

Don't need to do that. Just do what I say. If you really want Skype, download the app and close it from the messaging app. That way it will save you battery

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6