Lumia 920 - Lazarus or Dead, Bricked, Finished?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend's old Lumia 920. Now the issue is, it is completely dead and doesn't boot up at all. Doesn't charge at all. I have already taken it to the service centre and they are asking for $150 to repair. Honestly, I could get a NEW Lumia 920 in that much.

So, is there anything I can do to raise this one from the dead? Any experimentation you can think of? I am ok opening it up and doing some naughty things to it, but need to know what I am doing.
Any help, greatly appreciated.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You might incur more expenses in trying to raise that phone from the dead yourself than from having a service center repair it for you. First, we don't know what exactly is wrong, so we don't know what part to replace. Second, if we replace a part arbitrarily, we're not guaranteed that it was the busted part in the first place, or that if the part was compatible with the device. Third, although it seems that it's the battery that is at fault, finding a replacement battery for that phone NOW may be difficult - you could try this, but the chances are slim.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You might incur more expenses in trying to raise that phone from the dead yourself than from having a service center repair it for you. First, we don't know what exactly is wrong, so we don't know what part to replace. Second, if we replace a part arbitrarily, we're not guaranteed that it was the busted part in the first place, or that if the part was compatible with the device. Third, although it seems that it's the battery that is at fault, finding a replacement battery for that phone NOW may be difficult - you could try this, but the chances are slim.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am trying to get my hands on to opening it first. In your last point, you said, "try this" but there is no link. Could you just have a look and give me a link, if there is one. The first thing I am going to do is this when I open it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQpRa6glyRI

It is surely not the battery.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am trying to get my hands on to opening it first. In your last point, you said, "try this" but there is no link. Could you just have a look and give me a link, if there is one. The first thing I am going to do is this when I open it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQpRa6glyRI

It is surely not the battery.

I wasn't trying to give you a link; I was just emphasizing that "this" is something you can try - there are no links in my reply. I usually don't give out links on how to dismantle a device, since people tend to blame others (i.e. me) after giving them that link, like "Oh, he should have given me a different link then" or "He shared me the wrong link, now I broke my phone", or something like that. Although your phone is now broken, but you know what I mean.

What made you certain that it wasn't the battery at fault?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't trying to give you a link; I was just emphasizing that "this" is something you can try - there are no links in my reply. I usually don't give out links on how to dismantle a device, since people tend to blame others (i.e. me) after giving them that link, like "Oh, he should have given me a different link then" or "He shared me the wrong link, now I broke my phone", or something like that. Although your phone is now broken, but you know what I mean.

What made you certain that it wasn't the battery at fault?

because till the last day, the phone was charging. It's just that I was using it while it was charging, and it went with a 'whlop!'. Never started again after that. Sadly, my hands have turned red, and finger tips burning, but the damn thing won't unscrew.

How do I open this beast?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the correct tool to unscrew? And I hope you haven't worn down the star screw yet.

Anyway, it's still a possibility that it is the battery. At least you should hope that it is the battery because that's the easiest thing to replace! If it's not the battery, then the chances of self-repairing it becomes even slimmer.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the correct tool to unscrew? And I hope you haven't worn down the star screw yet.

Anyway, it's still a possibility that it is the battery. At least you should hope that it is the battery because that's the easiest thing to replace! If it's not the battery, then the chances of self-repairing it becomes even slimmer.

everything will happen, but first I need to OPEN THIS DAMN THING. How Do i do that?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
everything will happen, but first I need to OPEN THIS DAMN THING. How Do i do that?

Don't you have the video already? First take the sim tray out; you'll find a screw there so unscrew that using the correct screw driver. Then you should find two other screws at the bottom, unscrew them. Then gently take the screen off. It's all in the video, isn't it?

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I think either do what you can or try a 950 - I'm digging the camera and battery and it's not a pain at all to deal with as a phone except Cortana does idiotic things when I search sometimes, but I think that's across the board.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't you have the video already? First take the sim tray out; you'll find a screw there so unscrew that using the correct screw driver. Then you should find two other screws at the bottom, unscrew them. Then gently take the screen off. It's all in the video, isn't it?

did all of that ..but guess I don't have the right screwdriver for it. The six headed one. Once I get that I will see what to do ...as of now, I'm stuck.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think either do what you can or try a 950 - I'm digging the camera and battery and it's not a pain at all to deal with as a phone except Cortana does idiotic things when I search sometimes, but I think that's across the board.

do you mean the new Lumia 950? Lol..then no ..firstly I don't have the money. I'm stuck with three devices for two years. 925, Z Ultra and Lenovo K900. This 920 belongs to a friend who was kind enough to lend it to me. But one fateful day it went numb. Anyways..thanks for your reply.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Update: I managed to open it. But a few things now...

1. I did the trick shown in the video above. Nothing.

2. I now think the battery is dead.

3. Is there any way to check if the battery is the culprit and How do I replace the battery, if it's the fault of the battery?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Update: I managed to open it. But a few things now...

1. I did the trick shown in the video above. Nothing.

2. I now think the battery is dead.

3. Is there any way to check if the battery is the culprit and How do I replace the battery, if it's the fault of the battery?

If I were in your situation (and I managed to open my phone, because I wouldn't), I'd use a multi-tester to check the status of the battery - what's the resistance value (it should not be "0", what's the effective voltage, what's the output current.

If it is indeed the fault of the battery, you should be able to simply disconnect it, purchase a new one, and install the new one... but it's the purchasing that's difficult since it's going to be hard to find that one these days.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
My gut says battery, but it could be charge port as well. The charge port is built into the back of the phone, and is easy to replace.

The battery is held in by the silver bracket, which takes a T4 screwdriver to remove. Once you take out the screw (be careful – it is right over the lcd/screen assembly connectors), take off the bracket, remove the battery, and reverse.

I have a couple of 920 parts phones laying around. If you are interested in parts, PM me. They all work, but they are not new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss