Windows Insider Preview on 950??

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
My AT&T 950 arrives tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should use the official build or the preview. I loaded the preview (slow ring) on my M8 yesterday and so for it seems to be working pretty good.

Which is better, official or preview?

silentghost1979

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat I have the Lumia 640 on fast ring my Lumia 950 is being delivered tomorrow. was not sure if to stick it on slow ring so it can get the firmware updates without the carrier getting involved

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaning towards slow ring for my 950. AT&T never gets in a hurry to update anything. I would hate to use their build when a better one is available.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm leaning towards slow ring for my 950. AT&T never gets in a hurry to update anything. I would hate to use their build when a better one is available.

I would say that depends on what build you can get onto the 950 without being an insider. You will also be waiting for the firmware until AT&T releases it. I am not sure what build you can get on the slow ring.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's very likely that today or tomorrow build .75 will be released which surely will be a better build that the default one in your 950.

Sit tight and follow Windows Central!

Anix90s

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
It's very likely that today or tomorrow build .75 will be released which surely will be a better build that the default one in your 950.

Sit tight and follow Windows Central!

"No mobile builds today" this is what Gabe Aul tweeted today!

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok, it's crunch time. My new 950 is at my house waiting on me to come home and set it up. Do I stay with the current at&t build or load the newest Insider build?

Does the current at&t build have issues or is it stable??

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, it's crunch time. My new 950 is at my house waiting on me to come home and set it up. Do I stay with the current at&t build or load the newest Insider build?

Does the current at&t build have issues or is it stable??

Any build on a 950 has issues, varying from device to device. On AT&T we're still crippled by the lack of a firmware update, though again it varies by device. My video camera is practically unusable.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
What a nightmare the setup of this thing has been. It would not update to the newest at&t build or the Insider build. It either got stuck at 0% or 77%. I reset it 4 or 5 times last night trying to update the OS. I finally got tired of messing with and reset it one last time. I halfway set it up with email accounts so that my contacts would be there and put it up for the night. Overnight it DL'ed the at&t build and was ready for a restart this morning. Since then it has been smooth sailing.

dajma00

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend preview on a daily driver phone even though I have the latest preview on a 1520, 820 and a 520. All of these work almost flawlessly. Haven't tried the preview on my new 950.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'll actually state the opposite, right now, it's just buy fixing, so on par with the Developer Preview in the 8/8.1 days. Go for it, at lest until Threshold is finished. When Redstone starts, reevaluate to see if you want to continue or not.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
After the evening I had last night I think I'll stick with the at&t build for now. When the Preview program adds the firmware in a few weeks I will probably try it out then.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
since you have the AT&T variant, you will still be stuck waiting for AT&T to approve updates.

I was about to ask that. How are you certain on this?
I have the dual sim RM-1118 and it is at build 10586.29 currently. Any idea when or if there are any Insider Production build FW updates for the RM-1118 out? What are thoughts with this new approach/feature with the Insider app? I am wondering if these FW updates are only for the Unlocked devices...Most of what Microsoft is doing is new and almost unpredictable, which I kinda enjoy as it keeps me guessing and looking forward to something better.

Had this 950 for about 1 day now, and it has not crashed or done anything off the wall yet, but it did all of sudden kill the messaging app randomly while in it, then start vibrating for almost a minute until I figured out how to shut that off. It was weird because I had all vibrate features turned off...

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I was about to ask that. How are you certain on this?
I have the dual sim RM-1118 and it is at build 10586.29 currently. Any idea when or if there are any Insider Production build FW updates for the RM-1118 out? What are thoughts with this new approach/feature with the Insider app? I am wondering if these FW updates are only for the Unlocked devices...Most of what Microsoft is doing is new and almost unpredictable, which I kinda enjoy as it keeps me guessing and looking forward to something better.

Had this 950 for about 1 day now, and it has not crashed or done anything off the wall yet, but it did all of sudden kill the messaging app randomly while in it, then start vibrating for almost a minute until I figured out how to shut that off. It was weird because I had all vibrate features turned off...

The way I read it the Insider Preview is being modified so that AT&T customers could get the firmware updates straight from Microsoft if they were using the Insider app. If that isn't the case then what exactly is changing in a few weeks?? Unlocked phones are already getting FW updates from MSFT.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The way I read it the Insider Preview is being modified so that AT&T customers could get the firmware updates straight from Microsoft if they were using the Insider app. If that isn't the case then what exactly is changing in a few weeks?? Unlocked phones are already getting FW updates from MSFT.

Pretty much nothing is changing for AT&T users. We still have to wait for AT&T to approve it. The only difference is you don't have to unenroll from the insider program to get the firmware updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12