Is HTC breaking it's "HTC Advantage" promise?

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One M8 for Windows was sold as including "HTC Advantage" support. With this, they promise 2 years of software updates. This promise was reiterated on Twitter as seen here:

HTC committed to OS updates for the HTC One for Windows | Windows Central

This all sounds great for M8 owners, but HTC has deleted their tweet cited in the URL above. Unlike AT&T and Verizon, owners of the T-Mobile branded M8 have not even received Update 2. While I hope I am wrong, it looks to me like HTC is backing away from this promise. Thoughts? Anyone know of a way to get a more current commitment from HTC?

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think we need to worry before March, lets see how the carriers roll out W10 before we start complaining. It would be fair to expect Lumia's to be in the first round with others following behind.

I do however feel some trepidation since none for the HTC apps have been updated in forever and broken on W10. You would think they would need to be ready for an OS roll out.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Well the roll out is here and it appears we are being left behind. Looks like MS and HTC have failed us yet again.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
The HTC One M8 for Windows was sold as including "HTC Advantage" support. With this, they promise 2 years of software updates. This promise was reiterated on Twitter as seen here:

HTC committed to OS updates for the HTC One for Windows | Windows Central

This all sounds great for M8 owners, but HTC has deleted their tweet cited in the URL above. Unlike AT&T and Verizon, owners of the T-Mobile branded M8 have not even received Update 2. While I hope I am wrong, it looks to me like HTC is backing away from this promise. Thoughts? Anyone know of a way to get a more current commitment from HTC?

Sure, don't buy any HTC devices....

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't think we should give up. We need to let our voices be heard! We have to keep bugging HTC, Microsoft, Verizon, whoever to get to make this right.

@HTCUSA
@VZWSupport
@LumiaHelp
@WindowsSupport
@GabeAul

Last edited:

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. But in the end, I do believe it is up to HTC to push and not anyone else.

If HTC were to supply a firmware update and update the HTC-specific software, all Verizon and Microsoft would need to do is push the green button.

I don't think we should give. We need to let our voices be heard! We have to keep bugging HTC, Microsoft, Verizon, whoever to get to make this right.

@HTCUSA
@VZWSupport
@LumiaHelp
@WindowsSupport
@GabeAul

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I know people threaten legal action at the drop of a hat and never follow through. However, IMHO, this is ripe for a class action lawsuit.

Not only were upgrades promised on the HTC website, it was also printed on the box and printed materials in the box. I imagine that many consumers took this promise to heart and bought the device believing that it would in fact be supported as promised. HTC should be compelled to make this right, or they should be punished.

I have moved on to another device, so I am not the one to lead the charge on this... Just food for thought.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I said this nearly the past two years and even tried to warn some people. HTC does not support their devices even with am advantage claim.

I have no desire to get into another debate with you on this subject. I will not post any further replies to you.

The Lumia Icon, which you have advocated for as a better choice than the M8, is also being left behind. I am not happy with HTC, nor will I defend them. But, you coming in here and saying "I told you so" doesn't help anyone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have no desire to get into another debate with you on this subject. I will not post any further replies to you.

The Lumia Icon, which you have advocated for as a better choice than the M8, is also being left behind. I am not happy with HTC, nor will I defend them. But, you coming in here and saying "I told you so" doesn't help anyone.

Wasn't an I told you so post. The icon had been left behind so it really is no shock.

I do feel bad for the few owners of the m8, unfortunately, despite me literally predictingthis nearly two years ago. As this does nothing but further stain the WP image...which does affect me as well. Htc+Verizon= royally screwed customers

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I hope they do. I got my m8 through a warranty exchange at the MS store since they no longer had the Lumia 830. I wasn't fond of the m8 at first but I have adjusted to it. I hope MS doesn't screw this up royally.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Re: Is HTC breaking it's "HTC Advantage" promise?

I love my M8 and have running Win 10 TP for a while now. However, I am pretty upset over the M8 being left out of the Win 10 mobile update, flagship device as well.

***. Update. I just got a tweet from @HTCUSA. "We don't have any details to share on that update at this time."

Sent from my Surface 3

Last edited:

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not really upto HTC on this one. MS as of Win10 has full control of the OS. All HTC can do is possible firmware updates and their own apps i.e. Blink Feed, Sense, DotView. I bet if HTC got one or 2 of their budget-midrange Android phones and slap Win10 on it, they might sell. They had a great run with WP7, and if they play it right, they could do the same with Win10 Mobile, along with Samsung.

Bill Berry

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I too have the M8W on 10..0.10586.107; so far, so good. I'v had a few wifi to mobile data handoffs but discovered it was Straight Talk updating their LTE services or so they say. What burns me up about learning there will be no formal upgrade to WP10 is HTC made promises that today have panned out as false and it isn't just HTC; it's become the new culture and the new lexicon today. It's as if businesses just don't give a damn about what they say and promise. It's like we're being deliberately made to upgrade our devices at a quicker pace and yet prices keep going up and up. I choose not to be "renting" a device for the rest of my life. When I hear and read the money folks pay out; I'm just stunned at what many simply take for granted; my M8W cost me $150, I use Straight Talk Verizon towers and pay $42.50 a month and that's it. When I have to give my kids the lecture on their budgets its the first place I start; your phone, your tablet, your service are bleeding you for over a hundred dollars; it's ridiculous. That said, it's the new norm. I don't expect new devices to be updated after no more than a year; maybe 9 months now. They don't care! I refuse to buy a phone no earlier than every 3 years and I certainly don't buy brand new; it won't be long before the base for a smart phone is a thousand bucks.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Short answer is: "Yes they are breaking their promise"

Short answer is actually, "No, they aren't breaking a promise."

From the HTC Advantage TOS - Now when customers buy any HTC One they can rest assured their device will be future proofed, with major Android updates for 2 years from launch. And it’s nearly accident proof too, because we will replace a broken screen for free once within the first 6 months you own it—let’s face it accidents do happen and we want to keep your device in great condition.

If I read that correctly, it only guarantees Android updates for 2 years. There is nothing about Windows upgrades at all in the legalize... Sorry... It may not be right that they skip it, but they are under no obligation to make it happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers