Disabling the chiming sound within a text message conversation

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Is there any way to do this? Even if I have my message tone set to "none," I still receive the chiming sound for a new message if I'm within the conversation. Kind of annoying when I want only my messages silent.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to do this? Even if I have my message tone set to "none," I still receive the chiming sound for a new message if I'm within the conversation. Kind of annoying when I want only my messages silent.

you will have to turn the sound on since it's off, soft reset

Turn all notifications for your messages off, soft reset and turn them on except your tone.

That should work... although it works intermittently for me which is just ridiculously bizarre.

My 920 never used to do this... lol

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If it's still sounding with notifications turned off... You could maybe make an MP3 that's just a couple second of no sound and set that as the ring tone.

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
If it's still sounding with notifications turned off... You could maybe make an MP3 that's just a couple second of no sound and set that as the ring tone.

It only happens within an open conversation. Doesn't matter what the tone is set to. Say I have my message tone set to "Pear," which I do when I want sound. Still, if I've got a text conversation open, I'll get the chime instead.

ce_tx

May 7, 2015
Visit site
you will have to turn the sound for since it's off, soft reset

Turn all notifications for your messages off, soft reset and turn them on except your tone.

That should work... although it works intermittently for me which is just ridiculously bizarre.

My 920 never used to do this... lol

I'll give it a try, thanks!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'll give it a try, thanks!

Let me know if it works lol, I know it's a bizarre work around but it seems to work for me but it does come back again. I have the same problem with toasts with the messenger (facebook) app. It keeps enabling them although it's set to off in settings... but I'm not too fussed about it.

Or you could just do what sinime said :), it would be much easier lol.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
For me the problem is that it vibrates even though vibration is off. It's only if I'm in the sms chat window when the message comes in. Otherwise everything is normal. So many weird quirks Hehe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss