Any Loss of Functionality After Unlock?

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought an ATT version of the 640 and want to unlock it to possibly use it on T-Mo but I may switch to ATT. I know I lose some things like Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mo if I unlock it and use it with them but I was wondering if unlocking it causes it to lose anything on the ATT side if I decide to use it with ATT, either before or after I use it with T-Mo.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Doubt it.. the gsm bands and such don't change when unlocking the phone and I don't think att will actively track your phone to find out what you're upto

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I bought an ATT version of the 640 and want to unlock it to possibly use it on T-Mo but I may switch to ATT. I know I lose some things like Wi-Fi Calling on T-Mo if I unlock it and use it with them but I was wondering if unlocking it causes it to lose anything on the ATT side if I decide to use it with ATT, either before or after I use it with T-Mo.

I can't answer your question, but still have two notes:
Just to clarify - you don't lose WiFi calling because you unlock it. You don't have it in because you have ATT version in the first place.
Another thing that is missing from ATT version for unknown reason is SMS delivery confirmation option. Looks like nobody really cares. Now, after 3 months of using 640 I'm used to its absence, too, but first couple weeks it was driving me crazy.

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help folks. My T-Mo signal was so weak here at the house, I depended on the Wi-Fi Calling. But I just changed to a local cable provider and have a home line now. Friends' phones that have ATT are good here so I don't think the loss of Wi-Fi calling will be a big thing. I understand it's only offered on the T-Mo branded phones. I just jumped on the $29.88 price on the 640 at Wal-Mart and I'm going to make the jump to ATT after my T-Mo pre-pay runs out. The 640 will be a step up from my 520 and it has Denim, which I don't think is ever coming to the 520 on T-Mo.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
is that an att thing or just windows 10 mobile issue?

edit: assuming you are using w10m
I think it;s just a thing with the AT&T firmware for this phone. For some reason, the T-mobile firmware has more options there in 8.1 even.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help folks. My T-Mo signal was so weak here at the house, I depended on the Wi-Fi Calling. But I just changed to a local cable provider and have a home line now. Friends' phones that have ATT are good here so I don't think the loss of Wi-Fi calling will be a big thing. I understand it's only offered on the T-Mo branded phones. I just jumped on the $29.88 price on the 640 at Wal-Mart and I'm going to make the jump to ATT after my T-Mo pre-pay runs out. The 640 will be a step up from my 520 and it has Denim, which I don't think is ever coming to the 520 on T-Mo.

I made the same upgrade because I didn't know when the hell denim was coming to my 521.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been using an unlocked 640 with ATT for a while. I put W10 on it prior to doing anything else with it. In W10, when you send a text, the message shows. When it is delivered, the time comes up under it.

There was a setting to do delivery conf (can't remember if that was 8.1or 10), but it sent me a text confirming every text I sent, which was too annoying. I like the way it works in W10.

As for other functionality - my phone does everything an ATT locked phone would (it was an ATT model to begin with though, if that matters).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been using an unlocked 640 with ATT for a while. I put W10 on it prior to doing anything else with it. In W10, when you send a text, the message shows. When it is delivered, the time comes up under it.

There was a setting to do delivery conf (can't remember if that was 8.1or 10), but it sent me a text confirming every text I sent, which was too annoying. I like the way it works in W10.
I think this is only a W10 thing, because I had the same thing there too, and I agree with you, it is really annoying.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I looked for the setting after reading your post and it isn't there (turn message delivery texts on and off), but as gordon pointed out, the time showing up under your text is the new indicator. Didn't know this lol

Also the setting was present in 8.1, turned it off, because it was annoying after a bit. Never thought to look for it after I joined the insider program

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I looked for the setting after reading your post and it isn't there (turn message delivery texts on and off), but as gordon pointed out, the time showing up under your text is the new indicator. Didn't know this lol

Also the setting was present in 8.1, turned it off, because it was annoying after a bit. Never thought to look for it after I joined the insider program
Very strange. Because that's my old post on this matter and you can see I don't have this option at all in 8.1. Not even greyed out, just absent from the phone menu.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
That is strange idd. Guess it really is an att thing. Had the option on my 925 and 920, but both devices were bought unlocked

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720