03-27-2016 09:16 AM
193 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Ordered four of them from Microsoft back during the Black Friday sales, and all four came in normal box (granted it was orange with the big blue Go logo on one side and a picture of the phone on the other), but a box just like any other phone.

Also got all four unlocked no problem from Canada.
    libra89 and avengerxp like this.
    02-05-2016 10:19 AM
    but a box just like any other phone.
    Mine from bestbuy was in a weird sort of curricular plastic box. I know it's a go phone but come on, it's like they designed that package not to sell. Oh well hey ATT thanks for the $30 phone now flashed to T-Mo!
    libra89 likes this.
    02-05-2016 10:37 AM
    Second time was the charm for me. I filled the unlock request form the same way each time. First request I was rejected. Second request I got the unlock code. Also followed the instructions to flash it with T-mobile firmware so now it's a T-mobile phone. Going to keep it as a spare since my son does not want it to replace his 521. Asked why and the apps he wants are not available on windows phone.
    Wait, the 521 is a Windows Phone so why not have the nicer 640?
    libra89 likes this.
    02-05-2016 11:43 AM
    The only thing I can possibly think of is because of size.
    02-05-2016 11:51 AM
    Just got mine, .71 installed! Figured I'd mostly use it for WiFi.
    02-05-2016 11:16 PM
    The only thing I can possibly think of is because of size.

Well I personally think size is overcome by better specs.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-06-2016 10:48 AM
    Bottom line I think is that he wants to get away from Windows Phone and jump to Android on his next phone so he can get SnapChat.

"son... apps he wants are not available on windows phone" = "I want SnapChat or some other absurd app like that."

It sure ain't banking apps he wants. Maybe games?
    aybarrap1 and libra89 like this.
    02-11-2016 09:45 AM
    "son... apps he wants are not available on windows phone" = "I want SnapChat or some other absurd app like that."
    My son doesn't do any of the social networking. He's a big steam gamer and really wanted the steam app that has the Mobile Authenticator for in game transactions which is only on IOS and Android. He doesn't play games on the phone either. He did say Skype was much better on Android though.

I'll be keeping the 640 as an emergency phone, if something breaks. I used it for a day then put it away. I'm hoping the porting of IOS apps to 10 opens the floodgates since I like the interface of the Windows better. Heck, even though MS partnered with Insteon 2 years ago half the devices are not compatible with the Windows app or do not work correctly. One of the many app reasons I had to switch from Windows.
    02-26-2016 09:29 AM
    My son doesn't do any of the social networking. He's a big steam gamer and really wanted the steam app that has the Mobile Authenticator for in game transactions which is only on IOS and Android. He doesn't play games on the phone either.
    I'm impressed. Must be good parenting at work. Sadly, most want the social apps and can't be bothered to clean up after themselves (something I make sure I teach mine.)

Hopefully by the time my children are old enough for a phone (6 and 3 isn't old enough in my book), Windows 10 will have matured to where we'll have apps for it.
    RumoredNow and Rob-Houston like this.
    02-26-2016 09:40 AM
    I'm impressed. Must be good parenting at work. Sadly, most want the social apps and can't be bothered to clean up after themselves (something I make sure I teach mine.)

Hopefully by the time my children are old enough for a phone (6 and 3 isn't old enough in my book), Windows 10 will have matured to where we'll have apps for it.
    I apologize if I miss interpreted your reply. The post about snapchat above set the tone for me.
    Last edited by NiteCourt; 02-26-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Correction
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-26-2016 10:49 AM
    Have to say I fail to see the correlation between wanting a specific phone and a person's parenting skills, I guess if a service isn't on WP/W10M and a young person wants to use it that's a sign of a bad parent, only in the delusional land of Microsoft fans (which even on this site takes the cake)....
    02-26-2016 11:08 AM
    Man, some people will try to misinterpret anything. The correlation is: "if my kid wants to run inappropriate apps, maybe that's because I am a poor parent and didn't teach good values (there could be other reasons, but bad parenting is a possibility). Those inappropriate apps are only available on non-windows phones, and that is the exact reason my kid doesn't want a windows phone - there are plenty of other apps also not available on windows, but the specific ones I think are bad are the ones my kid wants" - makes perfect sense to me.
    02-26-2016 11:53 AM
    [WARN]Back to the actual topic of the thread since everyone has made nice... Or will. :)[/WARN]

Updated February 26, 2016

$29.99 at Best Buy: AT&T GoPhone Microsoft Lumia 640 4G LTE with 8GB Memory No-Contract Cell Phone Black NOKIA LUMIA 640 - Best Buy - NO In Store Pick Up, Online purchase + shipping only

$29.99 at Walmart (internet orders, but can pick up in store): Buy AT&T - Microsoft Lumia 640 (Black) - No Contract - Microsoft Store - continues to show as "Out of Stock" online, call your local Msft Store and ask before driving out
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    02-26-2016 12:36 PM
    Nice!

A second chance.
    Is the 640 going away?
    02-26-2016 12:47 PM
    Me thinks they want to supplant 520 as the most widely used Windows Phone. In which case, they need to make this an international sale...

A second chance.
    By my count it is the 4th chance, or an extension of the 3rd.
    Guytronic, libra89 and rhapdog like this.
    02-26-2016 12:50 PM
    Still hard to believe it's 30 bucks...
    libra89 likes this.
    02-26-2016 01:00 PM
    Still hard to believe it's 30 bucks...
    Yes it certainly makes the Lumia 521 seem like it was overpriced lol
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    02-26-2016 01:29 PM
    Just ordered one from Walmart and will pick up from my local store tomorrow. Great deal! Always good to have a backup.
    libra89, RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    02-26-2016 08:31 PM
    I checked on the website and it says that there are 4 left in my area. Planning to buy one for my dad but we're on MetroPCS. Can I immediately unlock it once I buy it?
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-27-2016 02:32 PM
    I checked on the website and it says that there are 4 left in my area. Planning to buy one for my dad but we're on MetroPCS. Can I immediately unlock it once I buy it?
    Yes, you can submit requests for both to be unlocked. Just don't turn on the phone first before getting the unlock code.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-27-2016 03:08 PM
    Picked it up this morning and set it up with the exact same settings and specifications as my original 640. Interestingly, the screen of the original 640 looks dull & dingy compared to that of the new one. Looks like my original 640 is going in the drawer as a backup. lol
    02-27-2016 03:49 PM
    Here is the problem... As mentioned above, don't turn it on with the GoPhone SIM in it and it is in by default.

ALSO - there is an ACTIVATION bar code on the package. Try to get them not to scan it or put that number into their system. There is a way to do that (Best Buy does not "activate").

My Walmart could not figure it out and they "activated" my phone. Fortunately for me I'm on Cricket so any ATT mvno SIM still works. My unlock request was denied.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-27-2016 03:52 PM
    I got to Wal-Mart promptly at 20:30 hours yesterday for the pick-up.

They were so lost.
    After fiddling around looking for the phone for 10-15 minutes the counter person said "oh heck with it I'll just go get you one from the electronics counter"
    A bad mix of online ordering with brick and mortar delivery was truly a comedy of errors...
    No harm done...I was chuckling though :)
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    02-27-2016 04:07 PM
    I'm on the phone with ATT right now. Have been for 35 minutes and counting...

Trying to get my unlock code.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    02-27-2016 04:30 PM
    Trying to get my unlock code.
    LuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuck
    LuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuckLuck

Sending you some luck!
    :)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-27-2016 04:35 PM
193 ... 23456 ...