Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

shenandoah

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
re: Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

I've bought four Lumia 640 for family and friends and unlocked all of them without any problems. I went to the AT&T unlock portal, selected Non AT&T Mobility Customer, entered the IMEI, and my email address. Two days later you should have the unlock code. I've always taken the prepaid sim card out before turning the phone on. I've even updated a couple of them to Windows 10 insider before receiving the unlock code. Once I have the code, I put an old T-mobile sim in and unlock the phone. Pretty straight forward.

Eric

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Still hard to believe it's 30 bucks...

For real. I picked up 3 Lumia 520s when they were $19.99 on sale with Amazon. Then I picked up a couple of Lumia 635s when Walmart "mismarked" the item with the wrong price tag inside a locked display for $35 each, which was a good deal at the time. Now I've picked up 2 Lumia 640s for $29.88 each at Walmart (the first sale). I figure I'll get a Lumia 650 as soon as it goes on sale for $40. LOL

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Pretty straight forward.

Usually it is. I've unlocked many devices through the portal. Not my first time at the rodeo.

AT&T tech support blames it on my Cricket SIM. They say the Cricket phone number needs to get disassociated with the phone. Even they were getting rejected.

I'm still using the phone and enjoying it. When I'm done evaluating the hardware/software and write my review for this forum, I'll swap the SIM back into my 1520, which will disassociate the 640's IMEI from the Cricket number. Then I'll hit the unlock portal again.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Got my $29.99 640 at Best Buy and I had a $20 reward certificate, so paid $9.99 plus tax! Have W10 installed and really liking it. No major bugs and everything works well. Just to be clear, use these steps to unlock a GoPhone, assuming you are not currently an AT&T customer:
1. Purchase phone and leave in package not turned on (safest thing to do)! They come with a GoPhone SIM in the phone so if you turn on the phone it trys to activate on GoPhone and you're screwed for at least six months, in the experience of some.
2. Request the unlock code online as a "Non-AT&T Mobility Customer" here.
3. They will send you a confirming email that must be answered to confirm the email address.
4. Wait usually a day or two, sometimes three or four, and you should get the unlock code via email.
5. Easiest way to get to the unlock screen is to enter ##7820#, enter code, and you should see the padlock symbol open now. (This is also a good way to check if a phone is unlocked already.)
6. Done.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Greetings, I just purchased the Lumia 640 from "Wally World" in Keene, NH for under 30 bucks (there was another hanging on the rack as of 3PM). Now, my wife, daughter and I all have one unlocked from the evil clutches of AT&T, and now I have a spare!! This phone is a GREAT BARGAIN!!!! Too bad Mozo doesn't have back covers for sale for the 640....
I have to admit that I think the 650 looks interesting, but plan to wait for some hefty discounts....

ma678

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

Friend grabbed one for me last week. It works quite well for in Canada.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for posting up about the renewed price reduction. My Brother is extremely hard on his phones and has trashed two 640's in less than four months. He just picked up two more from WalMart for $29.99 each with their two year Product Protection Plan at an additional $5 each.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Just bought another one today. I'm going to give it away. Increasing WP market share one person at a time!

mechano80

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Have never used a Windows mobile device... but I just had to see what was up. Especially for $30.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Running the new .122 build on my 640. The one thing that is not working for me is the Data Usage on cellular--it records WiFi data but not cell. Is that working on your phones?

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Running the new .122 build on my 640. The one thing that is not working for me is the Data Usage on cellular--it records WiFi data but not cell. Is that working on your phones?
It is working properly for me on my de-branded at&t 640 running tmo rom.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The only thing I've found so far on .122 (and I installed it and went to bed last night)...

Battery (by Arthur Semenov) Live Tile showed old data and opening the App from Start brought up a blank status. I restarted the App from the all apps list and everything was fine.

The other (small) issue was that lock screen kicked out my non native Apps from the quick status on lock screen. I had to reselect Yahoo Mail and Battery. Those slots were just blank. The native Phone, Messenger and Outlook Mail were intact.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Hadn't noticed til I read your post. Mine is the same. Only lists WiFi usage. Strange.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

I was looking for a cheap ipod/mp3 player this past couple of weeks...it occurred to me that a $30 Lumia 640 would be a bagillion times better than any music player. I can use this bad boy as a player/gaming device/fitness tracker/camera/even minor office device. Battery life is awesome. And I can play with Windows mobile 10. Sweeet!

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I was looking for a cheap ipod/mp3 player this past couple of weeks...it occurred to me that a $30 Lumia 640 would be a bagillion times better than any music player. I can use this bad boy as a player/gaming device/fitness tracker/camera/even minor office device. Battery life is awesome. And I can play with Windows mobile 10. Sweeet!

And unlock that bad boy before putting a sim in it.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Just got my unlock code and now this phone is already working on T-Mobile :)

Anything not working on tmo? Are u getting LTE?

How difficult is it to flash the tmobile rom on it? Cracked my 640 screen thinking about getting the att version or the new Alcatel

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yep, why not? And also, being able to play Youtube playlists is awesome! I do a similar thing with my 435 and it's great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro