Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

whereismydamnphone

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
re: Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

Hey, guys. I'm really tempted to buy one of these l640s for 30 bucks, problem is: i live in Brazil. I know someone who's living in the states currently and could send me one, i'm just not sure it would work correctly in my country. Which specs should i take a good look to be certain the phone will work fine here in brazil ?

In a quick look, apparently, the LTE frequency here is 700 MHz
edit: i guess it's not 700mhz yet but 2,5ghz, band 7... man this is confusing

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Anything not working on tmo? Are u getting LTE?

How difficult is it to flash the tmobile rom on it? Cracked my 640 screen thinking about getting the att version or the new Alcatel

Sent from mTalk
I never bothered to flash the T-Mobile ROM on it and as far as I know it works fine with LTE. The only reason I got this was because my brother-in-law liked the camera but of course they had already discontinued the phone on T-Mobile. He is not a phone enthusiast. So as long as he can make calls it's all he needs. Even did a Skype video call with him to test it out.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey, guys. I'm really tempted to buy one of these l640s for 30 bucks, problem is: i live in Brazil. I know someone who's living in the states currently and could send me one, i'm just not sure it would work correctly in my country. Which specs should i take a good look to be certain the phone will work fine here in brazil ?

In a quick look, apparently, the LTE frequency here is 700 MHz
edit: i guess it's not 700mhz yet but 2,5ghz, band 7... man this is confusing

What carrier do you use in Brazil?

cmfooballcoach

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site

I picked 3 of these up last week got them unlocked and have activated them with Walmart Family Mobile. Can't get data to work for anything. Called C/S 3x they are clueless. Does anyone have any idea if it's APN settings, or if there's something I'm not doing right. Just want my data to work so I can get SMS and check Twitter and FB when I am away from my WiFi. Any help appreciated. THANKS!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Field Test menu shows the following bands and all are active right out of the box...

GSM quad band: 850/900/1800/1900. This is a world wide standard.
WDCMA, 3G, H+: 850/1700/1900/2100 (or bands 1/2/4/5)
LTE: 700/850/1700/1900/2600 (FDD bands 2/4/5/7/17/28)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I picked 3 of these up last week got them unlocked and have activated them with Walmart Family Mobile. Can't get data to work for anything. Called C/S 3x they are clueless. Does anyone have any idea if it's APN settings, or if there's something I'm not doing right. Just want my data to work so I can get SMS and check Twitter and FB when I am away from my WiFi. Any help appreciated. THANKS!

Did you get them unlocked from AT&T?

Walmart Family Mobile uses T-Mobile towers.

Here are the APN/MMS settings: https://www.myfamilymobile.com/Supp...d94-457c-90a3-7c8b7ac7b1f8#GeneralFAQ-Answer5

cmfooballcoach

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site

Phones were unlocked by AT&T. I can receive and make calls, and receive texts (not group or picture) but zero data. I have used all the APN settings they have provided me, including the set you have listed above. No Joy. I am wondering if flashing it to T-Mobile firmware would take care of the issue. I've seen there are several on here that are or were using the same device with the same carrier, and the 640 was out for T-Mobile for a little while, so this should be doable. Just very frustrated. I love the platform and the phone, but without data when I'm on the road, it's as good as a paperweight. Hopefully someone has some specifics that can work this out!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I purchased one of these 640s for my Father-in-law, and now my wife is considering it. I have 2, and told her I won't let her have my backup, she can buy her own. She's thinking about upgrading her 635.

My sister-in-law just bought a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime for $87, which, for that phone, is a great price. I think she may have gotten a refurb. The camera takes blurry pictures, and though the main camera is an 8MP, it is sub-par and takes pics of slightly less quality than the 5MP on the L635. The phone has 1GB RAM, 8GB Storage, and a Qualcomm 1.2GHz quad-core 410 processor. Yes, it is an Android phone. Has almost identical specs to the Lumia 640. It's a 5-inch, 960x540-pixel TFT (220ppi) display, which means with the same size display, the resolution isn't as high as the 1280x720 on the 640. It hurts my eyes to look at. I kept thinking, "She could have gotten a better phone for much less." I asked her about it and she said, "I just don't like Windows." I was polite and congratulated her on her purchase. Everyone needs to use what they are comfortable with. However, if you like Windows Phones, you may not find a better deal on a phone until you can get the HP Elite X3 for $200 with the dock and mobile extender (which I'd jump on faster than... well, fast.)

whereismydamnphone

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site

What carrier do you use in Brazil?
TIM

Field Test menu shows the following bands and all are active right out of the box...

GSM quad band: 850/900/1800/1900. This is a world wide standard.
WDCMA, 3G, H+: 850/1700/1900/2100 (or bands 1/2/4/5)
LTE: 700/850/1700/1900/2600 (FDD bands 2/4/5/7/17/28)

Yeah, i'm comparing these with the specs from the 640 xl sold here (in brazil only the XL has LTE...) and seems to match, i'm pretty certain it'll work for me. Thanks. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

TIM

Yeah, i'm comparing these with the specs from the 640 xl sold here (in brazil only the XL has LTE...) and seems to match, i'm pretty certain it'll work for me. Thanks. :)

On 3G it would be missing 900 and LTE is missing 1800... So it's not a perfect match. You could find yourself stuck on EDGE speed at times.

See if you can check some coverage maps for TIM that show what frequencies are getting used in what areas. I can't find one that is showing all the right data. A lot of them seem out of date.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Update: One bad thing about windows 10 is that its having trouble pairing with my car :( I can't change songs without physically unlocking my phone and changing it :mad: Might have to downgrade to 8.1.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Was at walmart and was tempted to get the 640 for a back up or at least my youngest son.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

And you didn't buy it?

Honestly and with no Fanboyism, the 640 has to be the single best value in a Smartphone out there.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I was on Verizon and there was no sign of any WP's coming side from the Lancet but I saw the 640xl and looked to be an awesome phone to get. So if I got it, I know to unlock before I put the sim in and thats it?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I was on Verizon and there was no sign of any WP's coming side from the Lancet but I saw the 640xl and looked to be an awesome phone to get. So if I got it, I know to unlock before I put the sim in and thats it?
What carrier do you have? You can't use the 640XL on Verizon.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

What carrier do you have? You can't use the 640XL on Verizon.

8e2bdd4db98f476a9faf04456edb1264.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

FWIW, I was in Best Buy today... They had a stack of about 8 Lumia 640 GoPhones for $29.99 each.

Walk-in, walk-out, rock-on.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

I picked one up today from Walmart and requested my unlock. Gotta have a phone for T-Mobile just in case my RingPlus plan gets kicked out the door. Sure wish Sprint had a solid cheap Windows phone!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon