Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
re: Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

Isn't 2 burgers 2 fries and 2 big 'ole sodas more than 30 bucks at Carls JR/Hardees these days?

I know breakfast fer two runs about 30 with a tip.
Whodda thought a smartphone would be cheaper than a meal out :)

The future has arrived!

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

It has been said before, but you can use any AT&T GoPhone on any MVNO running on the AT&T network without unlocking. Obviously, these GoPhones will work without unlocking on GoPhone or Cricket, owned by AT&T, but also on MVNOs like H2O, PureTalk, RedPocket, AirVoice, Straight Talk, Net10, etc. You only need to unlock if you plan on going abroad (my situation) or you wish to move to the T-Mobile network or one of its MVNOs. I don't believe you can get band 12 on the Lumia 640 GoPhone unlocked, so that would be a limitation for those going to the T-Mobile network.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

But being unlocked would enable you to get direct updates not withheld by the carrier correct?

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

But being unlocked would enable you to get direct updates not withheld by the carrier correct?
Not necessarily. You can join the Windows Insider program and get Windows 10 and updates without unlocking your phone. Firmware updates might be a different issue.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Being unlocked only means you can use your phone on a different carrier. It is still an AT&T phone. There are instructions in the forums on how to "unbrand" it. Insider program can be used regardless of lock/unlock status. When it comes to official upgrade to W10M, with official firmware, I believe you will be dependent on AT&T for release. Using W10 from Insider program on my 640 and it's fine.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Att. Only 2 left at walmart in the next city, which isn't far.
Just FYI...if you use a GSM phone (like AT&T) on a CDMA carrier (like Verizon) you will probably not get LTE and will probably not be able to use mms as those features are locked down by Verizon.
Edit...sorry, just saw you were using on AT&T

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

I have insider already, from Icon to 950. More concerned about firmware updates unlike waiting for my att 950.
I believe firmware release is carrier dependent so you would have to wait for AT&T approval unless you got the phone unbranded thru flashing.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I believe firmware release is carrier dependent so you would have to wait for AT&T approval unless you got the phone unbranded thru flashing.

Yeah, flashing. I want it as an extra phone but as an experimental on too.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I can do that much. Just didn't know if flashing was involved.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

At&t unlock code came today. I applied for it Saturday on their website. Can't believe it is still this easy to do!!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Man...wouldn't that 640 be one sweet phone with 32 gig and 2GB of RAM?
A guy can dream can't he :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster