Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

chris blah

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
re: Walmart sells the AT&T Gophone for a low price!

I grabbed one at Best Buy @ $30 a couple weeks ago. I was looking to retire my 1020 when I saw the price drop. Other than missing the 41mp camera and dedicated button, I LOVE MY 640! After using it for a week I didn't notice any performance difference compared to the 1020. I liked it so much that I went back and grabbed two more. If you can find it I would absolutely recommend you get yourself a 640 or two or three.

Sent from my Microsoft Lumia 640

chris blah

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

And today Windowscentral has the Flip Cover case on sale fo $15........BONUS! Just bought one of each color.

Bryan Lucas

May 1, 2014
Visit site

I was buying a Moto E2 as a backup while I was resetting and rebuilding my Note 4. I got the Moto E2 on sale at Best Buy for $49.99 and happened to see the Lumia 640 for only $29.95.

I got both. I've been curious about trying out Windows Phone but I'm not planning to leave Android. I'm not worried about unlocking/de-branding because I'm already with AT&T.

After a couple of days it's a pretty nice phone. It's nowhere near my Note 4 but it's easily on par with my Moto E2. In fact, the specs are nearly identical, with the exception of he 640 having a larger, higher resolution display.

I just upgraded it to 10 on the insider program, so I'm going to explore that now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I was buying a Moto E2 as a backup while I was resetting and rebuilding my Note 4. I got the Moto E2 on sale at Best Buy for $49.99 and happened to see the Lumia 640 for only $29.95.

I got both. I've been curious about trying out Windows Phone but I'm not planning to leave Android. I'm not worried about unlocking/de-branding because I'm already with AT&T.

After a couple of days it's a pretty nice phone. It's nowhere near my Note 4 but it's easily on par with my Moto E2. In fact, the specs are nearly identical, with the exception of he 640 having a larger, higher resolution display.

I just upgraded it to 10 on the insider program, so I'm going to explore that now.

Welcome Bryan... Glad you are checking out the platform. Insider Release ring has been very nice.

Yep, that 640 is a solid lower-mid range device. Careful. I wandered in a few years ago from a Nexus 4 and I tried a Lumia 521. Never left LOLOLOLOLOL.

The first taste of crack is usually free or low cost, then you get hooked. :winktongue:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I too bought a MotoE LTE at Best Buy on sale just to try out Android for awhile, and I was very happy to revert back to Windows with a 640 picked up for under $30. The 640 camera is far superior to the one in the Moto E. I did like the flip-your-wrist-thing to turn on the camera, but with a useless camera it wasn't much fun taking photos. Moto E is a nice phone if you don't care about photos.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Looks like BestBuy still has them, online anyway and possibly at the store but I'll have to check it out.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Looks like BestBuy still has them, online anyway and possibly at the store but I'll have to check it out.

I waited the last couple of rounds and then missed out.

There is no guarantee how long this deal will last. This time around I pounced right away. I hope you don't get caught out.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Here is the problem... As mentioned above, don't turn it on with the GoPhone SIM in it and it is in by default.

ALSO - there is an ACTIVATION bar code on the package. Try to get them not to scan it or put that number into their system. There is a way to do that (Best Buy does not "activate").

My Walmart could not figure it out and they "activated" my phone. Fortunately for me I'm on Cricket so any ATT mvno SIM still works. My unlock request was denied.

I bought my AT&T 640 two days ago at Best Buy for $30. Wish I had checked the forums before I powered it on.. :angry:. But that's alright. If Win10 looks good on it (installing right now via Insiders Preview) I will grab me a Cricket SIM!

ma678

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site

It has been said before, but you can use any AT&T GoPhone on any MVNO running on the AT&T network without unlocking. Obviously, these GoPhones will work without unlocking on GoPhone or Cricket, owned by AT&T, but also on MVNOs like H2O, PureTalk, RedPocket, AirVoice, Straight Talk, Net10, etc. You only need to unlock if you plan on going abroad (my situation) or you wish to move to the T-Mobile network or one of its MVNOs. I don't believe you can get band 12 on the Lumia 640 GoPhone unlocked, so that would be a limitation for those going to the T-Mobile network.

Yes, this device can get B12 after being flashed TMo's ROM and updated with TMo's NVI. Many users already proved this.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Just bought one today. Requested unlock code from AT&T. Want to use it when I go to Germany.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Man...wouldn't that 640 be one sweet phone with 32 gig and 2GB of RAM?
A guy can dream can't he :)
I often wonder what would things be like if the 640 had come out shortly after the Nokia 520/521.This was the exact type of phone I was looking for as an upgrade when I had my 521! To be fair it probably wouldn't have done much to improve things due to the app gap but I would like to think it might've continued the upward momentum thus increasing market share further and thus more incentive for app developers. Sadly it seemed to have come out when Windows Phone was already starting to crumble.

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

I had snagged one at my local Walmart last week - basically it's $30 backup phone in case I crack the screen on my primary 640 device, or some other such nonsense on my part.

Unlock code went smoothly and then the debrand worked like a charm.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I had snagged one at my local Walmart last week - basically it's $30 backup phone in case I crack the screen on my primary 640 device, or some other such nonsense on my part.

Unlock code went smoothly and then the debrand worked like a charm.

You can unlock without turning the phone on right? How did you unbrand?

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I was reading an article that the 650 might be coming soon to AT&T, and I wondered if I had jumped too soon... But then again, comparing specs between the two, they are nearly identical, except that the 650 has a battery that's smaller by 500 mAh. :shocked:

I imagine the 650 will be ~$200, vs $30 for this 640... soooo...other than the official Win10 being loaded....why would anyone get the 650...? :amaze:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was reading an article that the 650 might be coming soon to AT&T

Got link?

From what I know, 650 is coming to Cricket which AT&T owns. However, Cricket does not unlock phones and in their firmware they make ot so it does not even work with a different AT&T style SIM.

Cricket will be getting 650 in April.

the 650 has a battery that's smaller by 500 mAh.

I think that one is a wash. I believe the SD 212 is more efficient than SD 400.

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe the 212 is faster than the 400. I reserve judgement till I see some benchmarks. They are very careful to be vague about the performance of these.

WellingtonW

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I was reading an article that the 650 might be coming soon to AT&T, and I wondered if I had jumped too soon... But then again, comparing specs between the two, they are nearly identical, except that the 650 has a battery that's smaller by 500 mAh. :shocked:

I imagine the 650 will be ~$200, vs $30 for this 640... soooo...other than the official Win10 being loaded....why would anyone get the 650...? :amaze:

Pro 650
The 650 has 16GB internal space and WP10 takes up more internal space.
Much better screen, slimmer, lighter, camera might be tweaked for better still photos.
better front camera
Much better quality build and case.

Pro 640
The 650, faster CPU, GPU
1080p video
compass
Bigger battery, longer battery life.
A lot cheaper.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads