The overpriced misconception

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Here's a link showing a comparison of specs between the 950 XL, iPhone 6S Plus and the Nexus 6P. Looking at this, how can anyone call this phone overpriced or not flagship material? It's average priced at worst, and when you start adding in all the brands of Android phones and their flagships, it starts to look like a bargain.

Lumia 950 XL vs. the competition: The big flagship phones are here

I've seen people absolutely tear about the 950/XL and I have yet to understand why this is the case. These phones have amazing screens, top of the line camera's, removable batteries, SD slots, some of the best processors around, and enough RAM to run a full fledged OS.

The hardware on these devices is not a problem at all. Can we end the misconception that this is the case?

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Not many people are complaining about the hardware (except the overheating / heat in the bottom left corner). The hardware is fantastic but missed big opportunities (i.e. no fingerprint reader for one - Hello is good but too slow and too battery consuming).

It's the software thats an issue. I love the look of it and when it's working it's fine. I've had lots of issues with Notifications, for example, which seem to have cleared up this week. I've uninstalled Skype yet get Skype calls. I can't change accounts or remove my primary email from the device. It's just minor things like this where I now have to rebuild the phone, again, hope the notifications continue to work, and then reset it up how I like because I want to change accounts. I know I've just copied all of just my problems but there are tons out there. The apps also let the device down massively as well. I know I can open Edge and do my online banking there or submit meter readings, etc. but it's not as convenient.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess the general tendency is to "judge a book by its cover". True, the L950XL has the specs of a flagship phone (it is indeed a flagship phone, with the 9xx series on it anyway), but the average consumer simply doesn't look at the specs alone. How the phone looks like, how it feels in one's hands, how it shimmers and glitters and feels metallic, all contribute to making it look and feel the way a flagship phone is expected to.

In my country, there are quite a number of phones that look more "flagship-like" (if that's even a valid term) than the 950XL even if their specs are rubbish compared to that of the L950XL. But guess what, people buy the rubbish-spec-ed phone. Do they want to brag about it? Do they want to catch other people's eyes the way the rubbish phone caught their eye in the first place?

The specs are most of the time for the geeks, and most consumers simply aren't.... even the sales personnel at the Nokia/Microsoft store I went to wasn't fully aware of the technical specifications of the L950XL phone they had me handle (I was lucky to handle a brand new unit)! And I have to agree - the L950XL has the "wow factor" when it comes to specs... but it simply doesn't have the same effect when held in my hands. The Lumia 1020 was a professional device - it didn't look and feel like a toy. The 950XL on the other hand just lacks the construction and in-hand presence.

So, devices are judged mostly by how they look and feel, and when they feel "poorly constructed", people would start focusing on the Resuming and Loading Screens, the App Gap, the Heating Issue when playing games, the crack on the screen after dropping it... the L950XL is a good example. Put it in a solid aluminum body that doesn't creak or bend (or even in a solid gold case), then probably people wouldn't complain as much even if it performs exactly the same way.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I guess the general tendency is to "judge a book by its cover". True, the L950XL has the specs of a flagship phone (it is indeed a flagship phone, with the 9xx series on it anyway), but the average consumer simply doesn't look at the specs alone. How the phone looks like, how it feels in one's hands, how it shimmers and glitters and feels metallic, all contribute to making it look and feel the way a flagship phone is expected to.

In my country, there are quite a number of phones that look more "flagship-like" (if that's even a valid term) than the 950XL even if their specs are rubbish compared to that of the L950XL. But guess what, people buy the rubbish-spec-ed phone. Do they want to brag about it? Do they want to catch other people's eyes the way the rubbish phone caught their eye in the first place?

The specs are most of the time for the geeks, and most consumers simply aren't.... even the sales personnel at the Nokia/Microsoft store I went to wasn't fully aware of the technical specifications of the L950XL phone they had me handle (I was lucky to handle a brand new unit)! And I have to agree - the L950XL has the "wow factor" when it comes to specs... but it simply doesn't have the same effect when held in my hands. The Lumia 1020 was a professional device - it didn't look and feel like a toy. The 950XL on the other hand just lacks the construction and in-hand presence.

So, devices are judged mostly by how they look and feel, and when they feel "poorly constructed", people would start focusing on the Resuming and Loading Screens, the App Gap, the Heating Issue when playing games, the crack on the screen after dropping it... the L950XL is a good example. Put it in a solid aluminum body that doesn't creak or bend (or even in a solid gold case), then probably people wouldn't complain as much even if it performs exactly the same way.

Good points. I can see the plastic case making it seem less like a flagship to an extent. It still has a fairly sleek design though. The Samsung S III was a flagship and that was cheaper plastic than the 950XL seemingly. However, had more effort been put into the case could definitely make a difference in perception for sure.

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Those that have seen value in the product, have paid for it regardless of how much it costs... while those that have not seen any value, are the ones hoping the price would help make their decision for them. It's that simple.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Also they shouldn't reinvent the wheel. Fingerprint works for a reason - use it.

You don't have to have one - it can look different. Windows Mobile should act and look like a movile and have features suited to a mobile phone. It doesn't need to look exactly like Windows 10 and vice versa (8 was obviously suited to a mobile device and not a desktop). Yes have the ability to send and receive texts via Windows have the ability for Windows to Windows phones to have free messages but don't force us to then have to integrate into Skype. Have Microsoft Pay or whatever you want to call it. Use all that's good and then make it easier and better - I really can't see Microsoft Pay working with Hello for example - that's where the fingerprint came in really useful.

There is easily enough space on the right to have a SIM and MicroSD 'external' slot which could then mean it's a sealed unit (I personally prefer the ability to replace the battery but for those that prefer a nice non-creaking unit this would be a solution or an option). With the locations of the SIM and SD card you could have even move them to the bottom of the phone but externally instead and that could create the sealed unit.

I'd also say that WM10 feels like a beta at the moment. Wait until the software is at least 80/90% there before you release what everyone considers a flag ship. Really software is what MS is great at so this is the area they should get right straight away.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, the pictures of the devices online make the phone look bad. But it looks beautiful and feels great when you actually have it in real life

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
This has been discussed many times. Just because it's called 'liquid cooling' doesn't mean it has to be filled with liquid.
Don't want to go off topic, but what kool-aid is that? If something is called "liquid cooled" there should be a "liquid" component. If they said "liquid cooling inspired cooling" that would be different. That's not what they said when the devices were announced.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The beta os on the phone alone makes it overpriced. Add to the fact that people coming from iPhone and android will be let down from the leak of apps the price is a bit much

Sent from mTalk

Revvin

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Having had a few so called premium phones - iPhone 4, 5 and an Xperia Z3 fancy aluminium and glass are not all they are cracked up to be (pardon the pun). While my iPhone 4 was surprisingly hardy the iPhone 5 was a massive disappointment. Even in a protective case the back marked quite badly as it gathered dusk and bits of grit on my pocket which left it looking far from premium out of the case. I dropped it once and the fancy aluminium deformed so badly it pushed one corner of the screen out that never went back properly and left an ugly bulge. The Xperia Z3 cracked across the screen after being dropped so the Lumia 950's replaceable plastic back is now quite a desirable feature for me. For the spec I think the 950 and 950XL are very keenly priced when compared to the iPhone and phones like the Galaxy series.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
The meaning of flagship phones:

On top of the line phones priced above 500 euros, the buyer wants to have the best possible experience of today, both software and hardware wise.
So when he is planning to spent this kind of money on a phone, he compares the offerings. (and always unbiased in order to help your wallet and mind)

He has 3 ways to go:
Android (which is a very mature OS with more than 10 awesome offerings at around this price),
iOS (a very mature OS with two amazing offerings, in different size to choose from)
and W10m (a beta-feeling OS with two high-speced phones).

Most buyers (well they are biased, but leaving aside the bias) will hold in their hands the above
offerings and "feel" the luxury, the heft, the materials and the looks INSTANTLY.

Phones like the iPhone 6S(+), Galaxy S6(edge), Nexus 6P and even a MotoX 2nd gen just feel every penny worth of their price on your first touch,
drop dead gorgeous devices (at least in my subconscious unbiased mind that's how the materials felt on the first touch)
On the other hand, while I first picked up the 950XL (and then the 950) they felt nothing like 500++ euros in the hand.
Don't get me wrong, the screens were amazing looking, but I just couldn't justify the materials used and the design for that price.
My mind thought instantly that it felt like a 640XL and I tend to agree with it.. :p

Then, when the average Joe "weights" the price in the hand, he will automatically assume that the software experience is also top of the line, just like the million dollar styling and feeling of those devices. (because what the ell? he is paying the price, he want the best of everything!)
Clockwork operation of the OS and of course every app of the universe is just what he expects to get in early 2016, especially for that price.
And in any stretch of the imagination, the W10m experience just don't feel up to par with the other 2 OSs (at least for the time I was writing this).
As soon as Joe, who have spent already 500 euro for his phone, find out the software experience is a hot mess, he will feel:
a) Terrible
b) Like a fool
c) Fooled by the inflated promises of the company
d) 500++ euros poorer
e) not trusting this company and telling everyone he cares about to avoid it in any cost

End of flagship-phone definition.

At the end of the day you have to go to the root of the problem, either you bought those 2 test devices or not.
MS just wants to have as little losses as possible from the mobile department.
And "loyal fans" are the front line men for their BS corporate moves, defending every bad decision they make like it is their company.

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
This has been discussed many times. Just because it's called 'liquid cooling' doesn't mean it has to be filled with liquid.

Yeah also just because its called 'flagship' doesn't mean it has to behave like one.

Lol I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself :p

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It is liquid cooled, but not in the old water-cooling way where you'd have to have a water pump to move around the liquid. the heatpipe is riddled with spores and has a thin channel that passively cools the hardware through vaporization. It is a tiny fraction of highly alcoholic liquid that vaporizes (releases heat) when it gets hot...

It is actually a lot more advanced than water-cooling, but it might trick people who aren't so knowledgeable about these facts...

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, the pictures of the devices online make the phone look bad. But it looks beautiful and feels great when you actually have it in real life

Do you actually have to buy it for it look beautiful and feel great? I went to the MS store and it looked and felt cheap, like it would fall apart if you held it wrong. A light, creaky plastic toy. I was more impressed with the 640 because for the price it has a lot of bang for your buck and it runs 8.1. It also looks like a Lumia with the cyan or orange shells.

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah also just because its called 'flagship' doesn't mean it has to behave like one.

Lol I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself :p

HxYDn.gif

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

So, devices are judged mostly by how they look and feel, and when they feel "poorly constructed", people would start focusing on the Resuming and Loading Screens, the App Gap, the Heating Issue when playing games, the crack on the screen after dropping it... the L950XL is a good example. Put it in a solid aluminium body that doesn't creak or bend (or even in a solid gold case), then probably people wouldn't complain as much even if it performs exactly the same way.
The device doesn't seem to be more alive when held in hand. I like 2.5D, a slightly curved screen feels so much alive even when the phone is off. Don't you agree?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The device doesn't seem to be more alive when held in hand. I like 2.5D, a slightly curved screen feels so much alive even when the phone is off. Don't you agree?

The specs made me want to buy the phone; holding it in my hands changed my mind.

A curved screen looks good, but it won't look good on everything. I'm looking at composition and overall construction. If the curved screen is well-executed in a device, then it'll be good. But I must wonder about the durability of such curved screens compared to flat screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb