.71 Build on Lumia 950 Still Bad, hows your experience?

Genio88

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 950XL with .71 here, i'm not having issues with battery drain with this build, at least not that noticeable, regarding the app chashs instead, yes a few apps just chashed and wouldn't even launch after the update from .63, but unistalling and reinstalling those fixed the issue, actually it almost always happens to me when i update to a new preview build, a few apps just "break" and need to be reinstalled

KylePrince3

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
really sucks that it comes to this though.. i'm half tempted to take it back to ATT and just ask them to switch to an iphone because the phone simply doesn't work

Let me know how that goes, I'm thinking of doing the same.

I'm getting so tired of rationalizing it and making excuses for Microsoft while they release beta software to the few people who even care about their mobile OS. At this point, I just need to have a phone that works consistently.

Lloyd_S

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Battery power is about the same as .63 for me and lasts a full day (after turning off most apps from running in the background that don't need to). However, everything else was horrible (was is the keyword and more on that in a minute).
  1. Messaging would either crash , lockup, or I would select a conversation for one person in my list of conversations and an entirely different one would open up.
  2. Photos would act like messaging. I would select one and an entirely different one would opn up. Or when i deleted a photo there was a message in the space where the photo was shown before stating that the item is missing.
  3. When I would turn the phone off intentionally it would turn itself back on even though it wasn't plug it or charging through wireless
  4. Restarts for no apparent reason
  5. Various other apps like weather, audible, Mail all locking up
  6. No firmware update even when leaving Windows Insider but I think this is an AT&T or 950 issue not a result of .71 as I had this problem with various versions. Even connecting to the Windows recovery tool told me I have the latest firmware version
  7. Other various issues but I think you get the point.

So what do I mean by "was" a problem. Well, first I tried to a couple of soft resets to see if that helped the issue. Since that didn't work I bit the bullet on Saturday and did a hard reset. Fingers crossed but since doing that none of the issues I stated above, other than firmware update, have returned.

justforsabbath

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Well my experience is no different from the previous build. The stability is good but needs a lot of work on the UI of the OS. Outlook Email experience is good but still many newsletter i receive don't appear properly. Example being the Linkedin newsletter the formatting is all over the place; it's unfortunate Microsoft hasn't been able to fix this Outlook issue since the OS's inception. I tried to provide feedback about W10 Mobile Outlook app on Insider and Got an idea? but the response hasn't been positive.

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Any of you actually do a hard reset of your phone after you update the OS? If not, do it. My Fiancee has the 950 and she did do a hard reset and has none of the issues you all are complaining about

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Android went through rough n tough stages to come to the state it is today, Windows 10 M being still beta has a lot to get done, lets hope it will get there sooner.

Very true, and that gives me hope for W10m. I have a work GS4 running lollipop, and it's fantastic: no lag, no battery issues, just works. I've been an Android user since Froyo, and I can tell you that Android has matured a hell of a lot. W10m is pretty hinky right now (so much so that I rolled back to 8.1 on my 640), but I'm confident it's going to be a matured reliable OS eventually.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
1020 running a little sluggish compared to Windows 8.1
The L635 is a quad core and is very sluggish. It is likely the amount of RAM. You can always add some more ignored feedback. :) To be fair, they did do one thing of the hundreds of items I reported. The audio menu was lower case in Extra settings. They changed it to title case Equaliser. Cortana doesn't work with Groove for driving, so W10M for me is a no go.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Let me know how that goes, I'm thinking of doing the same.

I'm getting so tired of rationalizing it and making excuses for Microsoft while they release beta software to the few people who even care about their mobile OS. At this point, I just need to have a phone that works consistently.

ATT told me they would switch equally proved iPhone due to so many known problems. I haven't done it bc I want Windows, but time is running short for a final usable build...ridiculous

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Can't say I agree with the logic that we should be performing a hard reset after every single update to ensure performance is perfect. Can't imagine doing hard resets semi-monthly over the next couple years just to avoid issues. I don't think that's reasonable to ask anyone to do. I've already grudgingly performed 3 or 4 hard resets since because a service or feature was completely broken for no obvious reason.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
can anyone advise why the hard reset. im by no means techinical but i dont understand the logic behind why it gets done. Im on .71 and did a hard reset and i dont want to ever go through it again, i havent noticed any difference with the battery drain etc. resetting the home page etc too much hassle. But i restored from a back up so im thinking whatever was wrong before ive just restored to my phone.

Julius Damato

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I have an ATT 950 since day 1. I was on .71 and didn't know it until I opened a case with Microsoft. I used the Microsoft recovery tool to reflash the phone. I'm now on .29. I check every few hours, and still no updates. My phone was terrible until I reflashed it. The .71 update that was pushed ruined the phone. I couldn't get more than 8 hours out of the phone. I turned every battery draining feature off, and it barely hit 8 hours. The phone would randomly crash, pressing the lock button would open up to a black screen that required battery pulls, just to name a few. I debated going back to my 1020. I don't want to reset or wipe the phone again to get an update. When I used the tool, it showed the .29 update being the latest on the server. I'm not sure what Microsoft and ATT are doing but after reading many forums posts, others are tired of this as well.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Spoke too soon yesterday. Today I went to make a phone call and it was just shut off. I had to hold power button down with the arrow to come back on. Geeezz.. Not even sure what went wrong. Went and found the WP Uptime App so I could see just how often it's doing things I didn't know about..

Very disappointing. Battery life has been stellar since I got rid of all the background apps running.

MG

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Here are my issues so far

- Hey Cortana does not always respond
- Cortana comes up randomly on its own, without any interaction
- Cortana speech recognition not accurate
- Random lockups/stalling
- Edge still sluggish
- Mobile Hotspot still shoddy
- Outlook Mail showing 2 unread emails since yesterday, when there are no unread emails left, even after multiple reboots.
- Lockscreen notifications not showing stuff like it should

TechADD

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a ds 950 on .71. On occasion the screen becomes unresponsive for around 10 seconds. I also have to press the back button a few times before it works. I've had 4 random reboots since moving to .71

xXtradhboarXx

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok first off I came on here (not this thread) ans shared my frustration of my new Lumia 950xl. As I'm enrolled in the insider program I downloaded this build and all the problems that I experienced seems to have been fixed. Great job Microsoft.

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So disappointed with my ATT 950.. i get about 6 hours of battery with light use running build .71.. seeing app crashes, delays and random reboots that i didn't have in .29, but i had the dreaded issue of not being able to update a build and having my device overheat too.. Guess its time for ANOTHER hard reset and try again..

really sucks that it comes to this though.. i'm half tempted to take it back to ATT and just ask them to switch to an iphone because the phone simply doesn't work
if you are on a preview build then you knew what you signed up for. in theory you have voided your warranty by installing. I don't think you can really complain if you sign up to the TP program.

I have my 950 on .29 with few issues and my 950XL on .71 and again no major drama (but this only for testing)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234