.71 Build on Lumia 950 Still Bad, hows your experience?

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
phone charged twice today, nohing really too hard core in terms of usage, so i dont know whats going on. Ive turned off everything or nearly everything running in the background, im suspect about whatsapp, it gets hot when sending a few messages and looking at pics.

i'm actaully going to go over old threads about battery drain to see if there is anything else i can turn off. the battery app is saying current discharging is about 9.64% and thats with light use. will monitor it again to see if i can see whats going on, the standard battery use app really only shows screen is the biggest use.
system 31.%
display 61.1%
wifi 7.9%
mobile date 0.0%

in use 91.6%
back ground 8.4%

PrinceM

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any new issues with the .71. No reboots, few app crashes. I might experience that the keyboard stop working more often with .71, but I'm not sure (and I'm not counting). According to Battery Pro+ I have an average hourly discharge rate of 1,8% today and 3,8% in total.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
do you have whatsapp running, keep thinking its app that causing the battery drain, if it is the battery use thing isnt pciking it up

dajma00

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
.71 is not unstable, at least in my experience. I haven't seen any crashes, reboots since I updated. I am on latest firmware as well.
However, there are more than one screens which are unfinished, even icons are not correct -- though I forgive because its preview.
The worst thing is the same old thing and that is the battery life. Some people here and there have quoted better battery life on .71 but I cannot see that on my 950. My battery will only last a day or less even with very light use. If you browse for an hour or so and watch some videos, battery depletion is pretty quick.
The only savior here is the quick recharge that the device offers... plug into a wall charger for about 30 minutes and voila! You get 100% battery charged.
For a person who relies on his mobile, the battery issue can be a big one and a big negative for this device.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
if you are having major issues at this point on your 950's then I would say you have some apps running that is killing your device or you have a dud device.
I have the latest build running on several phones from the 925, Icon, 1520, 1020 and the 950XL and is running pretty damn good across all devices.

I call bs on that but I don't really care. We all want to know others experience and I'm glad it works well for you but that is not the case for everyone so either you are bs'ing us with all those devices or you really lucked out.

smartass1379

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
.71 is not unstable, at least in my experience. I haven't seen any crashes, reboots since I updated. I am on latest firmware as well.
However, there are more than one screens which are unfinished, even icons are not correct -- though I forgive because its preview.
The worst thing is the same old thing and that is the battery life. Some people here and there have quoted better battery life on .71 but I cannot see that on my 950. My battery will only last a day or less even with very light use. If you browse for an hour or so and watch some videos, battery depletion is pretty quick.
The only savior here is the quick recharge that the device offers... plug into a wall charger for about 30 minutes and voila! You get 100% battery charged.
For a person who relies on his mobile, the battery issue can be a big one and a big negative for this device.

I did a WDRT and then upgraded back to .71 and I can say my experience is a lot better! The only issue I have now is that if you use it for a long period of time, like more than 5 minutes, the battery drain still goes up to 40% per hour. There are days where after 4 hours I'm in desperate need of a charger. Still waiting for that firmware update on ATT

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I really hope, as you are all insiders, that you report all your issues to MS via insider app, as you do report it here.

Seems they need feedback badly.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I really hope, as you are all insiders, that you report all your issues to MS via insider app, as you do report it here.

Seems they need feedback badly.

only that they should listen to all the feedback users give...but seems they do not. Users have complained about poor wifi performance for months and still no fix.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
only that they should listen to all the feedback users give...but seems they do not. Users have complained about poor wifi performance for months and still no fix.
Thats disappointing for sure.

But it will still be more efficient to write them via feedback app than posting a bad experience here. They rather read the feedback than read up all these fora and comment sections.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
You are a lucky one :)

I am seeing the same thing. Can easily get the better part of two days with mine. Aside from the indexing etc.. that Windows does after an upgrade I think that bad apps are the culprit for most folks. I have all the radios, location and Windows Hello enabled myself. I don't use Whats App or Skype or FB messaging though.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
What app is that battery graph from?

I just joined the slow track and saw improved battery life from 71. Haven't noticed any other changes. Seems good to me.

(ATT 950)

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That's fantastic. My overall discharge rate is 5.9% compared with your 4.4%. However, I have Bluetooth on and connected to the Band 2. I also don't have a solid 4G LTE signal like you seem to have (2-3 bars, fluctuating often).

I've noticed when I'm in the office where we have cellular nodes, I get a solid 4G LTE signal that is maxed most of the time. I get MUCH better battery life. As soon as I'm home with my poor cell signal and dual band routers that cause loss of 5GHz wifi, my battery is gone in 6 hours.

Outside this, WhatsApp and Messaging + Skype are still massive battery vampires. I've just started using WhatsApp on the web whenever I can.

Compare this with my work iPhone 5S - well, there is no comparison. Same locations, similar use and the battery is still at 60%+ by the end of the day.

These observations suggest the cell signal strength strongly affects battery life, which is logical of course. However, weak signals, Bluetooth interference/issues and the 5GHz WiFi add up to hose the battery. Throw in a battery vampire app and the phone is dead in 6h. Not sure there's much more we can do on our end.

BigwaveMx

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Really bad in my 950. Once installed, the warning "the sim card information has changed" began to appear. Then, multiple random reboots started to appear also microsd card errors when tried to transfer 21Gb of music through the usb c cable. But not all was bad, I noticed a improved battery life. Sadly, I had to return to .21 build. The .21 build works really fine. No random reboots, no warnings messages and no more errors when I transfer data to the microsd card.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Since the update to the latest OS I have been averaging at least one type of lockup and forced reboot once a day for something. Hasn't been the same thing for the most part. One day it wouldn't hang up a phone call, one day it wouldn't answer a phone call and just because I remember it happening yesterday it locked on Bluetooth when I needed it to get off of Bluetooth and it wouldn't so I had to reboot it. My battery life went to hell when I first updated it but once going into the individual apps to make sure they weren't all running in the background, which they were, my battery became extremely frugal and I had more battery at the end of the day then ever before. I'm not sure if the updated OS had turned everything on or not. I'm hoping that this daily driver gets a little better soon with a fix.

MG

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte