.71 Build on Lumia 950 Still Bad, hows your experience?

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
ah man im sooo jealous of some of those battery drains, ive stop messaging and skype from working in the background and battery life is a bit better, well its dropped to about 7% per hour.
how do i go back to .29?

id be interested tohear that have good battery life and see if they have whatsapp, thats my theory that its draining the phone.

KylePrince3

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
ah man im sooo jealous of some of those battery drains, ive stop messaging and skype from working in the background and battery life is a bit better, well its dropped to about 7% per hour.
how do i go back to .29?

id be interested tohear that have good battery life and see if they have whatsapp, thats my theory that its draining the phone.

I feel like .29 had even worse battery life, but if you want to go back, you use the Windows Device Recovery Tool on a computer with your phone plugged in to restore back to the OS version on the server. I thought it was .29 before, but when I restored mine the other day to update to .71, it installed 10586.0 and I had to update from there. That version was so messed up with the stuck updates and overheating, I even had to hard reset after the restore just to get an update.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I just want to add that I just did shut down all the apps that didn't need to be running in the background yesterday. I keep email and messaging on as well as weather and just a few others. I was down to 50% at around 13 hours of usage and I was on the phone talking quite a bit today as well as checking weather radar and a few other things. Phone seemed to be doing much better battery wise. Hasn't had to reboot yet today either. Maybe there's one app in particular that sets it off. I don't use Skype so that hasn't been my battery problem.

MG

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I experienced poor battery life yesterday and decided to take action.

Here is what I've done and it improved battery life:

- go to Battery saver and disable the background usage of apps you don't need to have running in the background, particularly Edge.
- set your mail account to manually synchronize every hour or so.

I use my 950 with 4G, Location and Wifi on all the time. I now have a stand-by battery drain of 1,5%.
edge is not the evil. it consumes not so much energy in the background. here's my experiment:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...xl-battery-test-what-happened-background.html

Marekt77

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
.71 Build on Lumia 950 XL with updated Firmware...

Phone reboots at LEAST 3x a day. It will be sitting there doing nothing and will reboot. It reboots at night. I know this because when I wake up it tells me I have to enter my unlock code because device was restarted.

I cannot add my Band 2 through the Health app in this update. Had to add the Band to my account on another phone then pair to my 950xl. Once paired it works ok.

Groove Music - Where to start... This app is a complete mess!!! Screen flickers when skipping songs. Even though I am playing songs from my SD card, sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds for the song to start playing. Shuffle seems to only pick 20 or so songs. Then Groove will stop playing, and choosing Shuffle songs, just reloads the previous "shuffled" songs. This app crashed randomly during playback. Even though my songs are not streaming, all of them have the screaming icon when playing.

This is a music player, it is not some ground breaking never done before app. It is shocking that MS cannot fixes these issues... Whats more interesting is that on a Windows 10 PC, none of these issues exists. So if this truly is a universal App, there might by some major underlying issue here for the entire platform.

Media playback is such a crucial part of any modern smartphone I am shocked that MS is taking so long addressing these issues. What is more, plenty of people are reporting the exact same thing across multiple Win10 devices. Judging by how many issues/complaints there are in the Windows Feedback Tool.

They are releasing new hardware with this build and software? Should anyone happen to buy a new Win10 phone and experience these things, they might get turned off the platform completely. This is NOT a winning strategy. :(

permo

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I fully agree with all complaints. It is really a pitty that MS/ AbeG are playing with their customers like they are doing. I am myself a 950XL- user not having any trouble of the kind mentioning here but now and then when being called there is no sound in the other end but the caller is hearing my voice. This error is of no consern compared to some of the guys here in forum. I wonder; when will they release the "final" version of WM10 that is "bugfree"? It must happen very soon or the market that is still left will go!

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Just got an S5 at work. I'm amazes at how fluid the OS is, and everything actually works. Also the app selection is simply tremendous. Cool to have IR blaster...damn Windows is in trouble

Android went through rough n tough stages to come to the state it is today, Windows 10 M being still beta has a lot to get done, lets hope it will get there sooner.

connerian

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm just interested if you are finding the 1020 running a little sluggish compared to Windows 8.1? For me, performance was brilliant on 8.1 but so far on all Windows 10 builds it feels slower and has to wait around more when switching into apps.
I know it's only a dual-core and lower spec processor, but hoping it will still be capable of running new Windows 10 mobile without being a pain in the butt!

NorwayWP

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Lumia 950.
Unlocked
Hardwarenr: 2.1.1.2
Firmware 39014
OS .71

For me this is RC grade, no forced reboots since the upgrade, no battery drain, Bluetooth works good in my car.
Messenger and Skype on, no whatsapp, and Cortana is not available in my region.

Previous bulid .63 was terrible, had to revert to slow ring to have a workable phone.

grazy1982

May 28, 2014
Visit site
do you have any issues with apps crashing or random reboots? is this a carrier locked device or unlocked? With latest firmware? my phone is sitting on my desk untouched for the last hour and the battery monitor just alerted me to high discharge rate of 15%...
maybe its the app it self? I have no issues on this build. in fact my Lumia 950 xl only went down by about 25% all day yesterday. I haven't used it for anything but the idle time good on this build

blahism

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So disappointed with my ATT 950.. i get about 6 hours of battery with light use running build .71.. seeing app crashes, delays and random reboots that i didn't have in .29, but i had the dreaded issue of not being able to update a build and having my device overheat too.. Guess its time for ANOTHER hard reset and try again..

really sucks that it comes to this though.. i'm half tempted to take it back to ATT and just ask them to switch to an iphone because the phone simply doesn't work

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely no problems with 950 serie and .71.
When we open the phones out of he box 3 weeks ago, they had .29, and it had some small bugs here and there.
Then we updated, and this update bring us some more problems, but the phone didn?t crash.
I realized we needed reinstall these phones, two 950 XL and one 1520, all works slowly after the updates.
After reinstalling from ABOUT, making a new clean phone, not using old updates, all phones was amazing alive - especially after going to the store, and download update all app again.
We did this with a lot of other phones, it?s the medicine. When you ave downloaded .71 - reinstall you phone and it will come up with a new clean .71 now working quick and got a new life, toget with new and fresh apps, not all thes old updates on updates.
It?s actually the same with computers, don?t put layer on layer, make a clean ny install.

monte0

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Really bad in my 950. Once installed, the warning "the sim card information has changed" began to appear. Then, multiple random reboots started to appear also microsd card errors when tried to transfer 21Gb of music through the usb c cable. But not all was bad, I noticed a improved battery life. Sadly, I had to return to .21 build. The .21 build works really fine. No random reboots, no warnings messages and no more errors when I transfer data to the microsd card.

I was getting this same exact issue with mine on .21 and on .71, especially the "sim card info has changed" but worse on .71

I also have an issue with the phone not rebooting exactly but more like when I pull it out of my pocket and go to unlock it then it doesn't come to life and then reboots

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I noticed a huge battery drain with certain apps. I've installed Tweet it! and Tweetium and my battery got destroyed in standby. Now I'm back on Aeries and there's no such drain anymore.

Glad I don't have the problems people have here. Seems like most issues are related to the AT&T devices?

Also, reboots and battery drains have something to do with cheap SD cards from what I've read. I had some serious reboots but I've replaced my SD card with a decent brand (Samsung) and I've no problems. People that have these issues could try and remove their SD card for a bit and see what happens - thats how I found out I had a faulty card.

Still, its not really a good thing that consumers have to go through all these loops to figure out what's causing their phone to behalve like this.

Also, interesting to see it mostly happen on the Lumia 950 family... No such issues on my 830/M8/640XL :unhappysweat:

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Main issue I experience after the update is that reboots still happening regularly. Oddly enough they only seem to occur at home in the evenings. Not sure if that could be related to something like wifi or bluetooth connections I have at home. But I'd say I see on average at least 5-7 reboots a week.

BUT, I've experienced these reboots since day one. So just stating that it still occurs for me regardless of all current OS and firmware updates.

EDIT: First random reboot while at work that I've actually witnessed off hand. Sucks.

Last edited:

monte0

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I noticed a huge battery drain with certain apps. I've installed Tweet it! and Tweetium and my battery got destroyed in standby. Now I'm back on Aeries and there's no such drain anymore.

Glad I don't have the problems people have here. Seems like most issues are related to the AT&T devices?

Tried running my 950 without a sd card for a couple days and still same issues.

Also, reboots and battery drains have something to do with cheap SD cards from what I've read. I had some serious reboots but I've replaced my SD card with a decent brand (Samsung) and I've no problems. People that have these issues could try and remove their SD card for a bit and see what happens - thats how I found out I had a faulty card.

Still, its not really a good thing that consumers have to go through all these loops to figure out what's causing their phone to behalve like this.

Also, interesting to see it mostly happen on the Lumia 950 family... No such issues on my 830/M8/640XL :unhappysweat:

Ran mine without a sd card for a few days and still had the restart issue.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte