Please talk me off the ledge!!

jeronimo21

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Just to inconsistent and glitchy for me. Cant stand losing double tap to wake... Edge browser is not great, typing an email or text and half the time the text wouldn't show up, words constantly being misspelled and then not being in the alternative list etc. phone does get really warm at random times (not gaming), battery isn't great, BUT I love the camera button and the overall quality of said camera

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just to inconsistent and glitchy for me. Cant stand losing double tap to wake... Edge browser is not great, typing an email or text and half the time the text wouldn't show up, words constantly being misspelled and then not being in the alternative list etc. phone does get really warm at random times (not gaming), battery isn't great, BUT I love the camera button and the overall quality of said camera

Wow! I don't blame you if that's the case! I am glad I am not having any of those issues with my Lumia 640

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
just replace it, then when its all working fine, you will be happy you didn't return it... I LUV mine and is working perfectly... maybe you just got a glitchy device...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
no need, switching doesn't mean death. Do what you think is best, and trying other platforms helps with perspective.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
no need, switching doesn't mean death. Do what you think is best, and trying other platforms helps with perspective.

I agree. Switch and get some perspective. That way you can learn what features you can and can't live with on other platforms. You can always come back after it's stabilized and I'm sure by then there will be better deals on the 950.

It helped me learn that I can't stand iOS

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I think you had a defective one. You would have been fine with an exchange. I love my 950XL. Mine is just as stable as my trusty 920 which I owned since Day 1. Good luck with whatever replacement you get.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know for sure if double tap to wake feature is 100% not happening on 950/xl ?? that might be the deal breaker for me

my take is that it will come SOON(tm).

Also worth noting that 10 is much more unstable than 8 was. (not that it isnt unstable, just that it doesnt live up to 8.0)

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Anyone know for sure if double tap to wake feature is 100% not happening on 950/xl ?? that might be the deal breaker for me

I wouldn't give up on that feature yet. It's likely coming. The 950/XL are currently in the bug squashing phase just like W10 Mobile is, but once that is complete, we will see new features.

My personal opinion is that we'll be seeing some of these new features soon. Microsoft seems to have squashed a lot of the bugs between the last few Insider Builds and the December firmware update.

There have also been a lot of rumblings about Redstone insider builds coming soon, and with those will be some surely interesting performance, feature, and general OS changes coming. For those of us who are part of the process, it should definitely be fun!

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Out of curiosity are you signed up on the Windows Insider program? The latest W10M have improved battery (of course ymmv depending on apps and frequency of use) and it is a pretty solid phone despite a few quibbles. I do agree about the non-existent tap-to-wake on the 950/XL but it's by no means a deal breaker for me. I still keep my Lumia 930 on "stand by" in the event my 950XL becomes completely borked but so far so good especially with Insider updates.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Disclaimer: I have a 640 LTE, and I have double tap to wake turned off. So these questions just come from me wanting to understand, and not that I'm trying to say anyone is wrong about it.

My question to the 950 users who are bemoaning the lack of this feature on their phone is: Why is this such a game changer for you? I tried it on my phone for a month and noticed my battery life suffered considerably. I'm just so used to using the power button now that I don't even miss the feature. Are you trying to reduce the wear and tear on the physical power button? Is there something else I'm missing?

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Disclaimer: I have a 640 LTE, and I have double tap to wake turned off. So these questions just come from me wanting to understand, and not that I'm trying to say anyone is wrong about it.

My question to the 950 users who are bemoaning the lack of this feature on their phone is: Why is this such a game changer for you? I tried it on my phone for a month and noticed my battery life suffered considerably. I'm just so used to using the power button now that I don't even miss the feature. Are you trying to reduce the wear and tear on the physical power button? Is there something else I'm missing?

I am also a 640 user and I was wondering the same thing. I didn't want to ask and have people start yelling at me about it lol. Now at least I know I'm not alone.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, missing double tap was my number one, oh and visual voicemail. For me the camera was not that much better, 1020, just faster. If I had kept I was going to drill a hole for a lanyard.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
If you have problems and you have updated firmware/os, then yah do what you feel you need to do. It's your money you shouldn't force yourself into something when that much money is involved.

I paid over 1k because I also got the protection plan and this puppy is not cheap in Canada especially adding 15% tax. But while at first it had it's problems I knew they would be resolved. For the most part it's running pretty well for me. .71 did introduce some issues that seemed to have gone away within 2 days. Mostly battery drain and some app crashing at first. Now for some reason all is good. Don't get why it takes two days after update to stabilize. And the missing text issues have been identified by MS so i'm guessing next week new build will fix that and possibly go hand in hand with the latest firmware which I'm still waiting on.

And I hope the newest firmware will be even better. What surprised me is how much better the iris scan has gotten since I purchased. So this puppy is definitely a work in progress. I had iphone 6 and asus zenfone 2 and I do prefer this phone even though app selection is superior on the others. But I get what I want through third party apps or browser. So it may be good for you to experience the others as well. Always pick what works for you, don't do it because of brand. Through my own experience I would recommend an iphone.

These phones are pretty pricey, making it easier to abandon if things aren't going well. They would probably retain more customers if the prices were lower. As they would be willing to wait for improvement. hehe

ZuLuuuuuu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

I am using Windows Phone for 3 years and double tap to wake was always there. I am so used to it, I never ever use the power button. And giving up such a ubiquitous feature (which was present on almost all Lumias even on cheap ones) is just weird to me. Just a bad decision from Microsoft. The same thing goes with Glance screen. They did the Glance mistake with Lumia 930 and learned from the backlash how bad that mistake was. I hope they learn from Lumia 950/XL and put double tap to wake feature to Lumia 650.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I have double tap to wake turned off... users who are bemoaning the lack of this feature...Why is this such a game changer for you?

Disclaimer: not a 950 XL user, but I've had many Lumias with this feature.

Mostly I use it out of habit and can use Double Tap or the Power key in normal use.

HOWEVER, the times I feel I really need DTtW is when I have my phone in a mount on my dashboard. When using the phone for nav on a long trip I like to sleep the screen when I know I won't be getting an turn by turn for a long stretch of miles. Then, based on either a time estimate, or the nav announcing "follow the course of the road for 10 miles" I wake the screen so I can get my HUD. Reaching the power button in the awkward spot that mounts leaves you at highway speeds is really not ideal. DTtW is a great feature to have then.

I was somewhat irked when I learned Double Tap to Sleep was only coming to onscreen action buttons and my 1520 was not getting that feature. I wish they would code it for double tap on the Windows key to sleep for us capacitive users.

In such a scenario Double Tap is a very welcomed safety measure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo