Please talk me off the ledge!!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Disclaimer: not a 950 XL user, but I've had many Lumias with this feature.

Mostly I use it out of habit and can use Double Tap or the Power key in normal use.

HOWEVER, the times I feel I really need DTtW is when I have my phone in a mount on my dashboard. When using the phone for nav on a long trip I like to sleep the screen when I know I won't be getting an turn by turn for a long stretch of miles. Then, based on either a time estimate, or the nav announcing "follow the course of the road for 10 miles" I wake the screen so I can get my HUD. Reaching the power button in the awkward spot that mounts leaves you at highway speeds is really not ideal. DTtW is a great feature to have then.

I was somewhat irked when I learned Double Tap to Sleep was only coming to onscreen action buttons and my 1520 was not getting that feature. I wish they would code it for double tap on the Windows key to sleep for us capacitive users.

In such a scenario Double Tap is a very welcomed safety measure.

I have a feeling it will be back in the 950 phones. My guess is that battery is already a big issue and they need to get everything in order before they added this feature. It is a well known battery hog. I had it off on my Lumia 830 as it did make a difference. But given the battery woes, I don't think this is their first priority. Maybe adding the feature and then having a disclaimer that battery will suffer would be a good idea.

But keep in mind you are still typing a pin anyways after double tap. You could just as easily use hey Cortana to wake the screen and say "open maps". And it will take you straight to the maps app.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a pin on my phone. :shocked:

It simply isn't an issue in my life that I have anyone picking up my phone and trying to poke around in there. I know, I know: what about theft? I'm 52 years old and have never had a phone stolen... I do use Find My Phone. When I get 10 on my device I'll use Reset Protection.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I've been wondering about why people miss double tap to wake as well. I've never been able to make it work consistently on my 1020 running 8.1 I don't know if it's buggy or if I'm someone tapping too quickly or too slowly. It usually takes 2-3 tries to make it work. It's the only buggy thing I encounter on the 1020.

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

It simply isn't an issue in my life that I have anyone picking up my phone and trying to poke around in there. I know, I know: what about theft? I'm 52 years old and have never had a phone stolen... I do use Find My Phone. When I get 10 on my device I'll use Reset Protection.
Well windows phone comes with theft protection. Nobody wants to steal it. Hehe

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site

I'm in the same boat as you. No pin to lock my phone, and I do have Find My Phone and the Reset Protection enabled.

My main reason for not locking it was because of an incident last year at a party. Someone at the party had a heart attack and was unconscious. Because her phone was locked, we had no way of contacting any family or anything for almost 5 hours. We got her to the hospital and she pulled through fine, but it would have been nice to let someone know she was there. Since then, I don't lock my phone and I tag important people in my contact list with "ICE" which first responders know to mean In Case of Emergency. Yeah, I know I can just carry a list of phone numbers for emergency contact in my wallet or something, but the phone is going to be the first place anyone would look.

I don't have any sensitive information on my phone, so if someone were to steal it or just browse through it I'm not worried. But for those of you who prefer to lock your phone, be aware of some of the potential issues that may arise.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
It is simple for me. I have a 1020, 8.1, when I am in a restaurant and it goes to sleep, a simple one finger double tap and it is awake again and I can continue reading my emails or watching a video. With the 950, it is at least two fingers, one hunting the oddly place button the other bracing the phone. I think it is great you can turn it off, it would have been great if I could have turned it on. I have a cheap LG Android that wakes with a swipe. It could not have that hard to kept the original features. All I wanted was faster a 1020.

I've been wondering about why people miss double tap to wake as well. I've never been able to make it work consistently on my 1020 running 8.1 I don't know if it's buggy or if I'm someone tapping too quickly or too slowly. It usually takes 2-3 tries to make it work. It's the only buggy think I encounter on the 1020.
It like the double click of a mouse, you just get, I miss sometimes, but it is usually when I am showing the feature to someone. Hardly ever miss when I not trying. I certainly missed the misplaced button of the 950XL.

Last edited by a moderator:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'm shocked, but at the same time, my mom doesn't either.

I have mine always for the sake of privacy. I'm not hiding much of anything but I hate the idea of someone just picking up my phone, reading through my emails, scrolling through my photos, and Twitter. Those kind of things.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a PIN on my phone, not because anyone would get into it, but because law enforcement cannot get access to a phone with a PIN without a warrant. I don't do anything illegal, but I still believe in the Fourth Amendment.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I've been wondering about why people miss double tap to wake as well. I've never been able to make it work consistently on my 1020 running 8.1 I don't know if it's buggy or if I'm someone tapping too quickly or too slowly. It usually takes 2-3 tries to make it work. It's the only buggy think I encounter on the 1020.
x2

I used 930 before. it had double tap wake up feature. i enabled it. now i am using 950xl, without double tap wake up feature. i find no problem pressing the power button to wake up the phone. missing the double tap wake up feature is no big deal to me.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear you are abandoning the 950XL. I went from a 640XL, which I really was impressed with, to the 950XL and I have no regrets. It is far superior to the 640XL in terms of performance and yes, has a great camera, as you mentioned, but I do prefer it overall to the 640XL. I did notice that the phone tends to get hot at times and I have had a few random restarts (and still no new firmware update yet for the latest firmware that was released recently here in Thailand) but there is no way that I would return the phone.

It has its faults but for me, it is still the best Windows Mobile phone in my opinion (the 640XL is great but, is a tad slow in certain cases). Sure, my opinion is my own and most people here will disagree but there is no way I would consider changing the 950XL. I believe, in time, that all the bugs will be ironed out for the 950XL. It will take some doing but I believe that you should keep the phone and stick with it.

The best is yet to come (we all hope!).

Ian

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
When I had the option to purchase between the Lumia 830 and 930, with a bit of research I found out that the 930 did not have the double tap to wake feature, and this was a huge deal-breaker for me. Even thou I loved the camera quality of the 930 (both front and back), I could live without the additional megapixels, but could not live without double tap to wake.

Mind you, I love my Lumia 830, and it's by far the best phone I've ever used (second best being the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic). Also the camera quality can be significantly increased in the 830 by using either the Camera360 Sight or OneShot app. The default camera apps does not process accurate colours therefore results in lower saturation levels. I'm guessing this is done in order to create a difference between the 830 and 930 camera.

ludikreco

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
People why is so hard to follow instructions what people wrote.Factory reset your device set it up without backup install windows insider chose Fast Ring update the phone ...update the apps and then set up your personal things.I am running latest update on Fast Ring and phone performance is amazing.No restarts...no overheating even in games phone gets warm but never hot.All my apps work without problem.Iris scanner works very god just set it up in different light conditions.There is some minor bugs but we get updates weekly things are improving from week to week.

Also I see everybody writing here I miss this I miss that this is buggy that's buggy,well write all that in Windows Feedback not here,developers are not reading Windows Central Forum they are reading your feedback.

I wrote this purely because I see people are giving bad comments about the phone and OS which other people don't have if they set up their phone properly.

PEOPLE JUST HARD RESET SET UP WITHOUT BACKUP UPDATE WITH INSIDER TO LATEST BUILD AND THATS IT.

no need to give bad comments for the things that are working normaly.device is amazing once when you get it right.i am more than happy with my 950xl.and this is coming from a guy who was a hard core Android fan.

:)))))))

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
When I had the option to purchase between the Lumia 830 and 930, with a bit of research I found out that the 930 did not have the double tap to wake feature, and this was a huge deal-breaker for me. Even thou I loved the camera quality of the 930 (both front and back), I could live without the additional megapixels, but could not live without double tap to wake.

Mind you, I love my Lumia 830, and it's by far the best phone I've ever used (second best being the Nokia 5310 XpressMusic). Also the camera quality can be significantly increased in the 830 by using either the Camera360 Sight or OneShot app. The default camera apps does not process accurate colours therefore results in lower saturation levels. I'm guessing this is done in order to create a difference between the 830 and 930 camera.
930 HAVE double tap wake up feature. I used 930 before. I am sure about that.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset your device set it up without backup install windows insider chose Fast Ring update the phone ...
Exactly. What are they thinking, buying a $650 phone, using a restore option offered during the initial setup, and expecting it to work. Foolishness! ;)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Android be like:

x2

I used 930 before. it had double tap wake up feature. i enabled it. now i am using 950xl, without double tap wake up feature. i find no problem pressing the power button to wake up the phone. missing the double tap wake up feature is no big deal to me.

Something I feel is worth noting is that DTTW is tied directly to the proximity sensor detecting something on the face of the device or not. My 920, 820, 830 worked fine with it, and when it didn't I was trying to do it while partially in my pocket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb