Why can't I hard reset my Lumia 950 XL?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Cannot hard reset Lumia 950 XL

Hi all, during windows update today my 950 XL turned off (full battery). When I started it again it goes through boot process and starts with rotating gears (I guess it is installing update) but 2 seconds after i get sad face icon.

I tried to hard reset it holding power and vol down keys but it is never reaching the "exclamation mark" point. It just loops... I installed recovery tool on my PC but it is not recognizing the phone. Restarted PC - the same situation. Any suggestions before I return it?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cannot hard reset Lumia 950 XL

Did you select the "phone is not detected" option?

also, try a GOOD USB cable.... like the one that came with the 950xl. and try a different port.

There was a key toggle sequence o put windows phones into recovery mode, but don't remember it.

SinfulKnight

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Same issue. My Lumia 950 notified me that I had an update. Figured I'd do it now instead of letting it do it at 3am tonight. Screen went black, gears came up, Sad Face. I'm at work for the whole day and I only have my work mac which I cannot run windows on so I can't get the Recovery Tool. The holding the buttons to reset isn't working, it only turns the phone on and off so I can't pull that one off.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

Hi all, during windows update today my 950 XL turned off (full battery). When I started it again it goes through boot process and starts with rotating gears (I guess it is installing update) but 2 seconds after i get sad face icon.

I tried to hard reset it holding power and vol down keys but it is never reaching the "exclamation mark" point. It just loops... I installed recovery tool on my PC but it is not recognizing the phone. Restarted PC - the same situation. Any suggestions before I return it?
try press and hold vol down+power buttons until the phone vibrates and then press and hold the vol down button only. the exclamation mark should show.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site

I tried that also , but still see microsoft logo and rotating gears.. I tried soon with and without sd card, sim card.. Nothing works

I thought it was the opposite screen that you want, the lightning bolt + cog instead of the exclamation mark. For the lightning bolt and cog, press and hold power plus volume down until it vibrates. Let go of both and immediately press and continue holding volume up until it goes to the lightning bolt and cog.

Also, did you make sure to continue holding the button even while the Microsoft logo appears?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss