Newbie Lumia and contacts

Billaboard

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had a Lumia 535 for a few days now and am starting to get used to it. I am not a smartphone user, although I have used some tablets with phone capability. I use PC's heavily and am on the Windows 10 Insider thing, but all my main PC's are solidly back on Windows 7 and use local, not Microsoft account logins.

I imported my contacts list from my old simple mobile phone, but some contacts were missing. On trying to add these to the Lumia, I couldn't find a way to add them without adding them to my Microsoft account or a Google account.

Is it possible to set up a local phone contacts list that isn't shared online and just stays on the phone?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Lumia 535 for a few days now and am starting to get used to it. I am not a smartphone user, although I have used some tablets with phone capability. I use PC's heavily and am on the Windows 10 Insider thing, but all my main PC's are solidly back on Windows 7 and use local, not Microsoft account logins.

I imported my contacts list from my old simple mobile phone, but some contacts were missing. On trying to add these to the Lumia, I couldn't find a way to add them without adding them to my Microsoft account or a Google account.

Is it possible to set up a local phone contacts list that isn't shared online and just stays on the phone?

I don't think it's possible, the mail reason for storing contacts online is that they are shared between devices and also act as a backup if you have to do a factory reset or you switch to a new device. Any reason why you don't want them attached to your Microsoft account?

Billaboard

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it's possible, the mail reason for storing contacts online is that they are shared between devices and also act as a backup if you have to do a factory reset or you switch to a new device. Any reason why you don't want them attached to your Microsoft account?

That's a shame. I really want the contacts on the sim card as I'm not sure I can live with the hassle of a smart phone long term. As I understand it, if I put the sim back into my robust, sit-on-able clamshell phone that I can carry safely in a pocket while climbing into and under things, I will not have any of the contacts entered while the sim was in the phone.

Android has a way of doing this, I believe.

I also am not sure that I want MS or Google having lists of my contacts. I, personally, may not care, but what if a contact doesn't want his or her name floating in cyberspace.

I've been surprised by how much I like this Windows 8.1 on a phone as I've always found it dreadful as a PC OS, especially on my (Wimboot using) 10" tablet.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
There is an official contacts backup app on the store for creating local backups on internal storage or SD Card but not for creating new contacts locally.

It's worth playing around with the People app though as I'm using Windows 10 Mobile, which doesn't have that capability yet. I would guess you are on Windows Phone 8.1 which I believe has the ability to export contacts to SIM.

Billaboard

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
As far as I can see, the W8.1 People app can import contacts from SIM, but not export.

If I allow the phone onto my MS account, I'll look for the app you refer to, but meanwhile I've manually added the main contacts.

Thanks for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon