Reassembled 930 Overheating

jamesrcurrie

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Lots of great material and smart folks here, thus here I am with my problem.

Back story: cracked screen + bent case on my Lumia 930. Ordered replacement screen and bezel. (link)

The parts arrived, followed disassembly steps on YouTube video. (link)

I managed to break the Flex RF coaxial cable and SIM reader daughter board connectors simultaneously while reassembling the phone. So I ordered the replacements from rounded.com (link and link).

The parts arrived, I completed reassembling the phone and powered up. Now for the issue:

Anything remotely CPU intensive now causes the phone to heat up quickly and dramatically. So I reviewed the steps, and realized that I had re-used the Heat Spreader tape during the reassembly, while the steps say to discard and replace. I was unable to locate a supplier for this heat spreader tape that ships to Canada.(link to how it should look)

No matter how I detach and reattach this Heat Spreader tape, it doesn't seem to get a good seal on the surface of the chips - the tape appears to be single-use only. (Side note, I am genuinely surprised that the lack of seal makes such a huge difference in the phone's ability to dissipate heat)

I took the phone to a local phone repair shop, and they were unfamiliar with the Lumia series of phones. After explaining the situation, they supplied me with copper heat sink tape from other phones they had disassembled. I proceeded to cut the tape into the shape needed. (link) I did this with a single layer, and then used all the tape for 3 layers deep total.

The end result of all my tinkering is that the phone continues to overheat almost immediately as soon as I open IE or perform something CPU intensive. If the phone is left idle with no background tasks, it stays cool.

I have also performed a hard reset, to no avail.

Is it possible that I have missed something? Do I absolutely need the heat spreader (link) linked here? I can't seem to locate a supplier that will ship this to Canada. In addition, I believe that the heat sink I have manufactured has a higher capacity for heat dissipation than the flimsy tape that was in place previously - yet the phone continues to overheat. I am almost in disbelief that this tape could make such a difference, thus I am wondering if I have missed something else completely.

Sorry for the giant post. Any thoughts or insights are greatly appreciated!

James

jamesrcurrie

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been sick the last couple of days.

Thanks for the suggestion, pankaj981. I have sent the message.

Just by way of an update, I installed Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview after submitting this post, and the overheating has stopped. I'm unsure how this change would affect my issue, but at least the phone is usable once again.

If anyone has any theories, I'm open to hear them.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Nothing immediate comes to mind. I have replaced the black tape that comes in 930's with the copper tape that comes in Icons before, with some success.

I'll have to think on it a bit more.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Are you having any better luck with it? I can't think of too many reasons why it'd be overheating just from a few new parts, so I was wondering if it'd settle after a little use.

jamesrcurrie

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for following up. I've been on Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview ever since, and although it has had its warm moments, nothing like the blistering heat problem with Windows Phone 8. So I guess I'll leave it on 10 for the foreseeable future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon