Liquidless cooling for the 950XL?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people think it's 'liquidless' just because it doesn't have anything in it, when the fact is that the heat pipe has a wick structure which holds the liquid. This gives it the clay-like texture seen in the video.
View attachment 122065

Now that you know there's a wick structure in the heat pipe, here's an overview.
View attachment 122066

This is also why the phone chassis is not made of metal, otherwise it would hurt the user (HTC One M9 anyone?)

Newmann.jpg

Newman!!

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes... They used regular heat pipes which didn't help the previous phones with their throttling problem... Microsoft uses a new form (for mobiles) to cool their phones which doesn't make them throttle since the temperature is kept cooler.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'd be more concerned that the 950XL bends like a stack of wet magazines. Try doing that with a 920 or 930.

That's the point of gorilla glass 4. By having more flexibility it's capable of absorbing force better.

Although it becomes less scratch resistant, but handles falls better.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Could it be something like this? Here goes: As CPU load increase, heat generated are vented out(depends on phone design, though), in the same state, cold air gets pulled/sucked in, due to a lower pressure and lesser surface area and device gets cooled down quickly. A process similar to how liquid coolers whether AIO or using custom distilled water for cooling the cpu.

That process, my friend, requires a compressor - an energy intensive device. It's not easy to create pressure gradients (for the purpose of cooling) in a small space.

And then suddenly...... Everyone is a scientist!

Oh, you just might be surprised. :wink:

Lol sorry, not scientist/engineering central here :D Just didn't want you to start thinking too hard ;) but thanks to @gpobernardo for his/her time :)

You're welcome - I hope I wasn't too late, at least before things become a chaos of assumptions. :cool:

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Tried both L950/XL phones, pushed hard enough and it not even bended, of course with more pressure applied you can break anything. Seen this video long time ago, and back then to me it seemed like phone was prepared for it, unscrewed or something, no idea, seemed really fakish, same trending agenda how bad both 950/950XL phones are in every aspect.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
For real?!?! He takes a perfectly good phone and purposefully destroys it....what kind of a spoilt society do we live in....

kingjah

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
he originally posted the video as "fake water cooling", "but later changed it to liquidless" after WP fans gave him a hard time. However as a long time Subscriber I believe him to be a fair reviewer.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
That's the point of gorilla glass 4. By having more flexibility it's capable of absorbing force better.

Although it becomes less scratch resistant, but handles falls better.

I'm referring to the actual housing of the phone. A high end Lumia shouldn't be that easy to bend.

Thomasmas

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Tried both L950/XL phones, pushed hard enough and it not even bended, of course with more pressure applied you can break anything. Seen this video long time ago, and back then to me it seemed like phone was prepared for it, unscrewed or something, no idea, seemed really fakish, same trending agenda how bad both 950/950XL phones are in every aspect.

And because of that reason he actually comments very positively on the durability and general build quality of the phone?
Seriously, just watch some of his other videos and how much pressure he applies in the bend tests. Not everything is a conspiracy...

Samir Kumar2

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
The thing is THE LIQUID is in solid state and once the processor gets heated then it converts to liquid and flows through the pipe to dissipate the heat so while cutting the Liquid Cooling pipe u cant get the liquid out of the box

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel