Liquidless cooling for the 950XL?

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
But in the end of the day, what is the point of this? like I said you can destroy/mess anything, and in a casual day scenario in pocket or else, not so possible, so it basically proves nothing, well maybe only for some people that don't understand anything about anything, nothing but mainstream of course and the way of making money.
It is Absolutely pointless discussion like the test it self, but oh well, mainstream will carry on and we will see other devices or even more stupid thing being bend for videos, "entertainment" wise.
On Topic, everything is fine about the Heat Pipe cooling, some refer it to Liquid, actual Liquid Cooling would be not even possible in a Phone, not at its size, Water Cooling maybe and this era I only imagine Thermal Head Pipe cooling for phones.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm referring to the actual housing of the phone. A high end Lumia shouldn't be that easy to bend.

Maybe the flexibility is part of making the phone more reliable. We haven't heard of flexing in the 950 or 950 XL causing phantom touch issues like the 1520.

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Alcohol leaves a powdery residue when reacting to certain metals like copper. It is also a liquid, but only in a hermetically sealed container.

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
"...compared to a one-dimensional tubular heat pipe, the width of a two-dimensional heat pipe allows an adequate cross section for heat flow even with a very thin device. These thin planar heat pipes are finding their way into ?height sensitive? applications, such as notebook computers and surface mount circuit board cores. These vapor chambers are typically fabricated from aluminum extrusions, and use acetone as the working fluid. It is possible to produce flat heat pipes as thin as 1.0 mm (slightly thicker than a 0.76 mm credit card)."

So... It's basically a sealed vapor chamber with acetone, that starts to evaporate at 56?C (processor temperature or higher) in addition to the characteristic heat transference of the metal.

When the vapor chamber/heat pipe is no longer sealed the acetone will evaporate at ambient temperature like alcohol so... the guy of the video doesn't know how it works...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Umm... what?

Which part confused you? You're discussing the flexibility of the 950. The design of the 950 with the removable body means that it won't be as rigid as previous phones, like the 920 or the 1520.

Besides, cell phone rigidity is hardly a direct factor in quality. The 1520 had issues with phantom touch, due to the phone twisting in users' pockets. A slightly more flexible 950 or 950XL may flex in the pocket, but spring back to it's original shape better than the 1520 did, eliminating the phantom touch issue.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Which part confused you?

All of them.

You're discussing the flexibility of the 950. The design of the 950 with the removable body means that it won't be as rigid as previous phones, like the 920 or the 1520.

It will be less rigid but that doesn't mean it has to be weak and creaky feeling. My 820 also has a removable shell (in colors!) but feels ridiculously solid compared to my 640 which is exactly how the 950 and 950 XL feel like in person. Thin, light and cheap feeling. For the 640 it's acceptable because it's a low end device but for the mighty 950 and 950 XL it's just pathetic. Premium feeling my butt.

Besides, cell phone rigidity is hardly a direct factor in quality. The 1520 had issues with phantom touch, due to the phone twisting in users' pockets. A slightly more flexible 950 or 950XL may flex in the pocket, but spring back to it's original shape better than the 1520 did, eliminating the phantom touch issue.

So being flexible somehow hurt the 1520 touch screen but for the even more flimsy 950 it's somehow a benefit? It sounds like the 950 would make a great sponge.

As for rigidity being a direct factor for quality it's not everything but it is a factor. A heavier more solid feeling device just feels better to me than light and creaky. It's why so many people complained about certain Samsung flagships feeling cheap. Why Nokia/MS decided to go down that path for their supposedly high end Lumias is both baffling and disappointing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel