Will Impatience Break Windows Phone?

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sure it's helpful. If I can prevent someone else from making the same mistake I did, if I can save them the anguish of having to deal with a product that doesn't work as advertised then I'll feel like I've contributed. If I can prevent them from wasting $550 or more, all the better.

Thus far I've had four Windows Phones starting with a Samsung Focus. I've been a satisfied customer all this time, but the 950 with WM10 is completely unreliable in my experience. I simply cannot trust this device to perform the most basic tasks; I have my doubts that the alarm will sound on time or if I can even make a phone call.

It's 2015, why does this device chew through data? Why does it randomly restart? Why does it get hot for no reason? Why does the speaker hiss and pop? As a customer I shouldn't have to put up with this crap. Everyone seems to forget, this device is available to REAL CUSTOMERS, not just enthusiasts. Regular people won't -- nor should they -- have to deal with basic functionality issues. As an average Joe I don't give a dang whether the operating system is new or not; that's no excuse. Does it work properly, easily, smoothly? That's what I care about.

To the OP's question, why shouldn't we -- the Windows Phone fans -- expect a product that competes favorably with iOS and Android? Microsoft has been building Windows Phones for FIVE YEARS; they've had ample time to get it right, yet, for some reason, can't.

Honestly, you sound like a petulant child; stomping your feet and crying to get attention. From what I can see you haven't done a damn thing about rectifying the issue . You can't even grasp the subject of this thread and unintentionally provide us with a prime example of the problem being discussed here.

If a product doesn't work for someone, they can return it. Most people who can afford a $600 phone are adults who can make their own decisions and don't need you SJW'ing for them. Why haven't you returned it if it's such a big deal to you?

You should see your logic from an outsiders perspective. You've had a 75% success rate with Windows phone and because you have 1 bad experience (which is fixed by updates) you're ready to trash everything and stomp around yelling at everyone and posturing like your problems are the only possible experience people can have.

This is the definition of the entitled, selfish, impatience being discussed. If you had issues with it and didn't like it, return the product and get something else.

So congratulations on being an example of the impatience and whining that this topic is discussing.

For the record, I agree that it should just work for consumers. The way you present yourself is childish, immature and will be immediately dismissed by most.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
MS' incompetence is what will break Windows Phone/W10M. Impatience is the reaction from users that bought into this platform and expected things to just work. Remember when WP used to do that?
I'm in this business over 30 + years and I can tell you from a professional level that nothing ever "just worked" coming out of any platform, but I get your point.

What I can say is this is what happens when you rush a product to market by either financial reasons or by the insistence of bloggers and people that consume this stuff. is Namely Microsoft Vista. A product pushed out between the departure of Bill Gales and incoming Steve Balmer. They were on the clock for September PC launch from Dell and others and Balmer had no time in the big chair to understand what Microsoft was let alone make decisions as big as this.

No one, including yours truly beta testing Vista believed that product was ready. Far from it. MS directors and managers with the blessing of Balmer felt they could simply drop a service pack and its all good. It was all good actually... a year and some change later and only for those that bothered with service pack SP1 at all. But by then the damage was done and bloggers couldn't stop turning people against Redmond. There are still those who carry a grudge to this day. Many of them bloggers. Again, rushing to market at the behest of bloggers who know next to nothing about how to make this work. Here is where we are.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The simple solution would have been to limit the insider program to people who can competently answer a survey and based on that survey they would be allowed to join the program. This would at least limit the horrible exposure w10m is getting on the internet through vocal crowds that don't understand what they are doing and expect perfection in an unfinished product. Negativity spreads. Even psychologically if you hang out with a group of people that are negative, you too will become negative. So this even spreads to people who still have hope and gets them thinking twice about the platform and if it really is doomed. I had some moments where even though I'm not experiencing issues the vocal people were making me wonder where exactly w10m is heading. But in the end I just let it play out because I can't control other peoples' experiences and I'll let MS deal with it. MS sees the negativity too but it doesn't stop them from going forward so they probably expect it.

There's still an advantage to these types of feedback requests. Keep in mind that a typical user is clueless about tech and just wants their phone to work. Eventually all these people will be on w10m anyways. In fact, MS has dealt with less than stellar customers for years with their desktop platform. So how can you create an OS that will allow you to understand the issues customers face even though they don't have the ability to be descriptive nor do they really ever know what is going on when something happens. You create an OS that allows you to get the information you need to help you figure out issues easily without requiring insane descriptions. And part of windows mobile 10 is the feedback and diagnostics which are built into the phone. You can tell a customer to enable this feature if it's disabled by default and then go about their day and when it happens let them know. The phone will gather the data it needs and report back. So you have 20 people saying "can't close edge". These 20 people are linked to their MS accounts. Each time you open a feedback problem the phone actually sends data back to MS about its state and any info they need. Now they look through all that data and see if there is something common among these people that doesn't happen to everyone else. And you can find the issue yourself rather than creating a support nightmare. And hey, you ever do a soft reset while enrolled in insider? It actually gathers your phone state and sends it to MS before it resets the phone.

So I think part of the insider program is also testing their tools and creating better integrated tools that will allow issues to be identified and solved in a quicker manner without too much customer intervention.

There's pros and cons to the insider program.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
If anything, Microsoft is probably getting a ton of pressure and feedback from their sole carrier partner, AT&T in the U.S.

If AT&T is facing a large amount of Lumia 950 returns from unhappy consumers, I'll bet you that when a Surface phone does drop, there won't be any carrier partners left.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Finally... A thread with some semblance of reason!!!!

MS are trying their best to please everyone. Unfortunately the whiners have no idea what Preview version means. Everything is compared against iOS and Android, but in the same sentence 'they' wouldn't use those either of those devices....

Also, most do not understand that there is NO mobile OS as we used to know it. W10 is one OS, encompassing a slew of devices. Mobile is just a tiny piece of the overall picture. There is as no need to 'compete' anymore.

Apple's biggest market is mobile phone, that's why they concentrate most resources on that.

The whiners just don't understand this. They want MS to ignore everything else and solely develop only the 'mobile' part of W10...

It's the 'old' way, and MS realises it cannot win that fight!!!

If you are not happy with Windows Phone, then please stop moaning and go to the 'dark side'. You are spoiling it for the rest of us, and ultimately W10M will seem like too much trouble to MS, and they WILL drop it...

Either contribute to the development cycle or, here's a thought... Learn to use your phone!!!!

I have owned 10 Windows Phone devices, and have NEVER had any of the problems that get moaned about on here. Any problems are usually solved by a bit of lateral thinking.

Thanks again for the great thread... About time!!!!!!

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
MS are trying their best to please everyone. Unfortunately the whiners have no idea what Preview version means. Everything is compared against iOS and Android, but in the same sentence 'they' wouldn't use those either of those devices....

Also, most do not understand that there is NO mobile OS as we used to know it. W10 is one OS, encompassing a slew of devices. Mobile is just a tiny piece of the overall picture. There is as no need to 'compete' anymore.

Blah blah-blah-dee-blah.

Any consumer picking up a carrier version of the Lumia 950 and facing these issues, isn't a 'whiner'. They're an unsatisfied customer.

There's some truly Stockholm Syndrome excuse making happening here.....

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I enjoyed the reviewers dramatic method of being constructive and objective while breathing through his teeth at the idea of using a $550 device in such a state. The video was fairly balanced, except the minimal loading screens shown appeared to be app and internet related, not OS related, which can still be an issue if the same app on other OSes doesn't continually show the same loading screen. Many more features could have been critiqued to come to the reviewer's conclusion, but pulling the shoddy factory cover off and wiggling it around also justifies the retail price as steep.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Don't know what the argument is about. There is, and should be NO onus on consumers to do anything but expect to buy a product thats fit for its purpose. I'm not sure when paying WP users got recruited by Redmond as full time employees but if someone buys a phone and it doesnt work as advertised they dont owe anybody anything or have to keep silent because it doesn't send the "right" message. Bottom line is, its not up to the fans to keep this platform afloat, its Microsoft's job. If they see fit not to do so then whatever happens happens, but its a ridiculous notion to try and claim its a "responsiblity" of a WP user to promote, defend or in any way justify a product that doesnt work properly.
Sent From my SP3

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't expect AT&T to care, as a longtime customer with 5 mobile phones on my account, my experience with an W8.1 635 bluetooth popping issue was to say the least pathetic. I had to pay out and got into an HTC One M8, lost an upgrade because they didn't tell me they were using another of my phone #'s to do this deal. It was not a $600 phone but this HTC is awful close. I went from a very stable 7.5 Samsung Focus Flash to the very stable 8.1 HTC.

W8.1 works excellent on the HTC, I would almost say flawless. I would have just as soon never seen W10M until it was finished, I can't get too worked up though, what should I expect for free? If I had paid $600 I'd be quite mad, and for that reason alone I have not got a 950. I can just see a customer of mine drive away in their $80,000 CTS-V after telling them their expectations are too high, it's not going to run right ALL the time! LOL! That's not happening.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, you sound like a petulant child; stomping your feet and crying to get attention. From what I can see you haven't done a damn thing about rectifying the issue . You can't even grasp the subject of this thread and unintentionally provide us with a prime example of the problem being discussed here.

If a product doesn't work for someone, they can return it. Most people who can afford a $600 phone are adults who can make their own decisions and don't need you SJW'ing for them. Why haven't you returned it if it's such a big deal to you?

You should see your logic from an outsiders perspective. You've had a 75% success rate with Windows phone and because you have 1 bad experience (which is fixed by updates) you're ready to trash everything and stomp around yelling at everyone and posturing like your problems are the only possible experience people can have.

This is the definition of the entitled, selfish, impatience being discussed. If you had issues with it and didn't like it, return the product and get something else.

So congratulations on being an example of the impatience and whining that this topic is discussing.

For the record, I agree that it should just work for consumers. The way you present yourself is childish, immature and will be immediately dismissed by most.

LOL!!! Well, I'm glad I can deliver a cogent argument without resulting to name calling.

As for trying to rectify the issues I've been dealing with, what am I supposed to do if TWO hard resets haven't done any good and AT&T won't deliver firmware updates in a timely fashion? Right, it must be my fault.

I have no desire to experiment with trial ?insider? software, which could brick my carrier-locked phone or cause other issues. Oh, and believe me, I?ve tried to return my 950, but guess what? I'm past the 14-day window so with AT&T I'm SOL. That being said, they are sending me a warranty replacement handset, which I sincerely hope functions as advertised. Fingers crossed.

My experience with this device has been so unfathomably atrocious it's undone any good will I had for Windows Phone, which used to be a lot. To your other point, would you drive a car with brakes that only worked 75 percent of the time? Would you go to a doctor that only prescribed correct medication to three out of every four patients? I suspect not. Why should someone accept any less with a premium-priced electronic device that was sold at retail? I'm not a beta tester, I'm a customer.

Unfortunately, based on the number of likes my initial post received and all the other people that have come to my defense in this thread, I suspect your final comment has already been proven wrong. Thanks!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

687fea91677be9103defb8dc0b97e8b7.gif

No where on the box for the 950 and 950 XL does it say beta or preview version. W10M is real, it's released and it sucks hard. Accept it.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 122148

No where on the box for the 950 and 950 XL does it say beta or preview version. W10M is real, it's released and it sucks hard. Accept it.

I accept that nowhere does it say 'beta' or preview' on the box. Saying that, I have not had any of the problems that others have had.

None of my Windows phones have had any problems. Lucky? Doubtful... My points were made from that standpoint, so accepting that W10M 'sucks hard' doesn't really apply....

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Sure it's helpful. If I can prevent someone else from making the same mistake I did, if I can save them the anguish of having to deal with a product that doesn't work as advertised then I'll feel like I've contributed. If I can prevent them from wasting $550 or more, all the better.

Thus far I've had four Windows Phones starting with a Samsung Focus. I've been a satisfied customer all this time, but the 950 with WM10 is completely unreliable in my experience. I simply cannot trust this device to perform the most basic tasks; I have my doubts that the alarm will sound on time or if I can even make a phone call.

It's 2015, why does this device chew through data? Why does it randomly restart? Why does it get hot for no reason? Why does the speaker hiss and pop? As a customer I shouldn't have to put up with this crap. Everyone seems to forget, this device is available to REAL CUSTOMERS, not just enthusiasts. Regular people won't -- nor should they -- have to deal with basic functionality issues. As an average Joe I don't give a dang whether the operating system is new or not; that's no excuse. Does it work properly, easily, smoothly? That's what I care about.

To the OP's question, why shouldn't we -- the Windows Phone fans -- expect a product that competes favorably with iOS and Android? Microsoft has been building Windows Phones for FIVE YEARS; they've had ample time to get it right, yet, for some reason, can't.

You can explain this dozens of times, but all in vain. Fanboys will never understand that NORMAL customers DO NOT care that this OS is fresh. they do not see the fact that MS is selling this completely broken, unpolished and not ready for prime time use. All they want is a working device for the money they pay. They do not want to be insiders, they just want to use the phone and rely on it and as far as I remember windows 10 mobile is not yet released as a public build to all...builds that the 950 and XL came with are beta builds, builds available to the other models in the insider program. But as you have noticed, many consider these as perfect for RTM builds. :)) and the fact that you've spent over 500$ on the phone gives you even more the right to trash the can all over MS.
Again, for the QA guy few posts above, normal customers do not know about QA and SW development and do NOT care. No one should care because we pay with OUR money these devices and no where is advertised that are beta devices, testing devices or whatever you wanna call them.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
LOL!!! Well, I'm glad I can deliver a cogent argument without resulting to name calling.

As for trying to rectify the issues I've been dealing with, what am I supposed to do if TWO hard resets haven't done any good and AT&T won't deliver firmware updates in a timely fashion? Right, it must be my fault.

I have no desire to experiment with trial ?insider? software, which could brick my carrier-locked phone or cause other issues. Oh, and believe me, I?ve tried to return my 950, but guess what? I'm past the 14-day window so with AT&T I'm SOL. That being said, they are sending me a warranty replacement handset, which I sincerely hope functions as advertised. Fingers crossed.

My experience with this device has been so unfathomably atrocious it's undone any good will I had for Windows Phone, which used to be a lot. To your other point, would you drive a car with brakes that only worked 75 percent of the time? Would you go to a doctor that only prescribed correct medication to three out of every four patients? I suspect not. Why should someone accept any less with a premium-priced electronic device that was sold at retail? I'm not a beta tester, I'm a customer.

Unfortunately, based on the number of likes my initial post received and all the other people that have come to my defense in this thread, I suspect your final comment has already been proven wrong. Thanks!

Ya know what? I'm guilty of doing the same thing I was complaining about in this post. I was far too aggressive, my apologies. This just goes to show how negativity can be infectious and it's not good.

All I can say is several fixes for your issues are there in front of you and all you have to do is install and app, click a button and choose "bypass AT&T mode" aka Insider Release Preview. It won't brick your phone. If you have any issues, you can alway restore the default firwmare image with WPRT and since you have a new handset coming, what is the harm in trying?

My experience with the phone heating up randomly and eating battery has always been tied to wireless. Every.Single.Time. When I notice it, I turn off wireless for a few minutes and it cools down and all is fine. It also only happens for me at work so I simply keep wifi off as there are about 50 SSID's broadcasting around me and I image the phone goes haywire at times trying to bounce around channels and radios.

At home my wireless is fine as it is a single dual radio AP with substantilly less interference. In fact every single reboot/lock, up save for one, has been at work while the phone hasn't been in use with wireless on.

So next time you have that happen, try just turning off wireless for a bit to see if it starts to cool down. I'd also suggest installing a wifi analyzer to see what your area looks like and take note of where and when you have that type of problem.

I honestly believe a large number of the battery, heat and reboot/lock up issues are all tied to the radios in the phone. I don't really see this behaviour (wifi flaky, heatups, lock ups, and reboots) as often on other devices with w10M. It didn't happen on my 930 nor am I seeing it with people who use the 640, 635 or even my wifes 830.

I had to wait until January before I could even buy one so I had 3 solid months of staring at issues in these forums and when I got the phone, absolutely nothing surprised me because of that and my expectations were met or exceeded rather than crushed under the weight of disappointment.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to disagree here. It's not unreasonable. Consumers and the general public should know better. Details are severely important.

I spend a lot of time in Ask a Question. We get many detailed posts from registered members and guests. But we also get the vague statements and they drive me a bit batty.

Here's my analogy, consider a consultation with your doctor.

Correct way: Interact with the doctor, explain exactly what ails you and answer questions to help him form a diagnosis. The more descriptive you are, the better enabled the doctor is to cure you.

Incorrect way (and this is how many tech users report in): Call the doctor on the phone and say simply, "My side hurts." Then expect the doctor to make a diagnosis and give you the cure. The doctor can't see what you see and not mentioning details may very well mean the difference between life and death. The doctor on the phone might start hemming and hawing about kidney stones or appendicitis, muscle strain or back problems. Meanwhile the patient is bleeding to death because they fail to mention they have a butcher knife impaled in their abdomen. They somehow expect the doctor to mystically visualize the knife wound.

In the "Hard to close tabs on Edge" example even the simple detail of portrait vs landscape makes a huge difference. Getting details from users who want a fix should not be as hard as some users make it. It's not doing QA. It's asking for help to rectify a problem.

BTW this is exactly how interacting with patients is.

Do you have any medical problems? No
Are you on any medicines? Yes
Do you know what they are? No

If a person's health and well being is a struggle to get information, why would understanding what is wrong with a browser?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Overtime someone has issues with his WP and wants to jump ship he is being accused of all sorts of things...not everyone wants to continue being a free beta tester for MS

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I accept that nowhere does it say 'beta' or preview' on the box. Saying that, I have not had any of the problems that others have had.

None of my Windows phones have had any problems. Lucky? Doubtful... My points were made from that standpoint, so accepting that W10M 'sucks hard' doesn't really apply....

I can accept that. It's like cigarettes can cause cancer but not everyone that smokes gets it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb