Tired of waiting for your 950/950XL firmware update? You can get it now!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I got tired of waiting for the latest firmware for my US variant 950XL and decided to convert it to a Latin America variant which is receiving updates more quickly. It also had the added bonus of changing the carrier code from 000-US to 000-88, (US means United States, 88 means worldwide) so this is probably as close to the mythical global phone as you're going to get.

The below procedure is the exact steps I followed just a few days ago, to the best of my recollection.

[WARN]This procedure will flash your firmware with a different variant and factory-reset the device, so be sure all your data is backed up. I take no responsibility if you damage your device doing this.

If your phone is carrier locked, changing the firmware won't unlock it. It will, however, remove any carrier branding such as a boot logo or preinstalled apps from that carrier.

Also, this won't help users of the AT&T 950, since it is a completely different device model, and likely protected by their custom boot signature.

You should probably do this again with your original product code, if you decide to sell the device, need to send it in for repair, etc.[/WARN]

Step 1. Download and install the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) if you haven't already done so. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=525569

Step 2. Use WDRT to download the current firmware for your device. If you haven't done this before, connect your phone to your computer, run WDRT, and tell it to reinstall the current software. You'll have plenty of time while it's downloading to unplug your phone in case you chicken out later.

Step 3. Check the list of product codes for 950 or 950XL and find a likely candidate. Be sure to pick one that matches the model number of your device.[INFO]RM-1104 - 950 Single SIM
RM-1118 - 950 Dual SIM
RM-1085 - 950XL Single SIM
RM-1116 - 950XL Dual SIM[/INFO]

Alternate step 3 and 4. Use LumiaFirmware.com to find your device and choose a likely candidate that has the firmware version you are looking for.

Step 4. Go to Nokia Firmware MrCrab.Net, plug in the product code (example: 059X5P5), and see whether it is a newer version than what you have.

Step 5. If you unplugged it earlier, plug your phone into the computer.

Step 6. Change the product code using thor2 from an admin CMD prompt. You have to specify an existing FFU file which you can find in the c:\appdata\microsoft\packages\products folder. You may copy and paste this example but be sure to change the FFU and product code as appropriate:[INFO]"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Care Suite\Windows Device Recovery Tool\thor2.exe" -mode uefiflash -ffufile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Packages\Products\RM-1116\RM1116_1078.0027.10586.13058.15357.030FF4_retail_prod_signed.ffu -skip_flash -productcodeupdate 059X5P5[/INFO]
Running this will reboot the phone into flash mode and change the product code. Near the bottom of the wall of text generated by this command you should see "Product code change successful" - if you don't, go back and check to see what you did wrong (bad path or misspelled ffu filename or other typo?)

Step 7. Reboot the phone back into normal mode by holding volume down and power until it vibrates.

Step 8. Now, if you are ready, launch WDRT and allow it to flash the phone. Since the product code is different than before, it will again spend some time downloading the correct firmware files before actually installing it. This means you still have a few moments to chicken out.

Step 9. Setup your phone again, install any Windows updates (using Insider if you desire to have something newer than retail).

Step 10. Enjoy your fully up to date device!

Last edited:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Would actually love to do this, but I'll wait until an official release is issued. Insider build is one thing, but firmware is another and I'd hate for my phone to turn into a $650 paperweight out of the blue.

Please let us know if anyone tries it out and was successful. Thx for being guinea pigs for us! :p

pandhersaab27

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
This might be a stupid question to ask, but does anyone know if i flash my dual sim 950Xl with single sim rom, will it become single sim? I mean will i get goodies like VVM and I can get rid of that annoying second sim notification in status bar.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
This might be a stupid question to ask, but does anyone know if i flash my dual sim 950Xl with single sim rom, will it become single sim? I mean will i get goodies like VVM and I can get rid of that annoying second sim notification in status bar.
Now that is potentially an expensive experiment!

I would not recommend cross-flashing to a different model number, in this case from RM-1116 to RM-1085. It would most likely cause no damage, failing to initiate the flash because the two models have different Platform ID signature. But I personally wouldn't take that risk.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
ok flashing went great on my Canadian 950XL, no issues at all. Now running latest firmware and latest insider build. Thanks for the good info PepperdotNet.

arcitekt

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I did the firmware update by changing the Windows Insider app to the "Production" lane. It did not require a reboot and the software went directly into the Windows Update screen. The firmware updated, the phone OS installed (moving gears) and finally opened back into the Windows Home page. The firmware update that installed on my Lumia 950XL, dual sim in the USA on AT&T is 01078.00027.15506.02005.

Be sure to go back into the Windows Insider app and reset the setting back to the Fast Lane for updates from MS. The app was updated as well.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have an idea when 16025.xxxxx will be available worldwide for both L950/950XL for everyone. Strange how after two weeks, still a lot of people have not updated even on Unlocked devices.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Just another tip. I really don't think your first experience with phone flashing should be a $650 device. If it's your only or first phone and you don't have something cheaper to experiment on first, you probably shouldn't take any risks at all.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I did the firmware update by changing the Windows Insider app to the "Production" lane. It did not require a reboot and the software went directly into the Windows Update screen. The firmware updated, the phone OS installed (moving gears) and finally opened back into the Windows Home page. The firmware update that installed on my Lumia 950XL, dual sim in the USA on AT&T is 01078.00027.15506.02005.

Be sure to go back into the Windows Insider app and reset the setting back to the Fast Lane for updates from MS. The app was updated as well.
OK, then you are still one version behind. The latest is 01078.00038.16025.390xx. That hasn't been released yet for the US or many other variants. It could come today, or tomorrow, or another week or three.

Does anyone have an idea when 16025.xxxxx will be available worldwide for both L950/950XL for everyone. Strange how after two weeks, still a lot of people have not updated even on Unlocked devices.
Somehow, I think even whoever is in charge of pushing the updates doesn't know that answer.

bemiquel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
It has worked like a charm on my new 950XL. This is much easier than the way we used to flashed Windows 8.1 devices. I now have the latest firmware and no carrier-related stuff :D

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Nice guide. I'm assuming putting the international firmware on it makes no difference to VVM not working on AT&T on a dual SIM 950XL phone? I remember seeing the international RM1085 which is single SIM reportedly had VVM working.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It has worked like a charm on my new 950XL. This is much easier than the way we used to flashed Windows 8.1 devices. I now have the latest firmware and no carrier-related stuff :D
Yeah, I've been in IT for a lot of years, and if there's one thing I'm good at, it's taking something that's way too complicated and finding ways to simplify. Why should I hunt for and download firmware files, and flash them manually or use a hacked version of some Nokia service tool, when I can just change the product code and let the freely available WDRT do the work?

Nice guide. I'm assuming putting the international firmware on it makes no difference to VVM not working on AT&T on a dual SIM 950XL phone? I remember seeing the international RM1085 which is single SIM reportedly had VVM working.
Nope, VVM is a feature of the OS, not firmware. It doesn't work on any dual-SIM Windows phone, regardless of firmware, and should work properly on any single-SIM phone (assuming your plan with the carrier supports it of course) regardless of firmware.

syl74

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
The procedure doesn' t work for me because the WDR tool stay stucked at "reading phone information" at the begining.
Any idea why. It is a french Lumia 950 baught from Orange carrier.

syl74

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
More inormation :
last WDR log messge (captured from log file) is:
2016-02-13 08:10:42Z | 9296 (WindowsDeviceRecoveryTool) | 0x00000004 | WindowsDeviceRecoveryTool.exe | Microsoft.WindowsDeviceRecoveryTool.ApplicationLogic.AppContext | Information | Set current phone to: VID: 045E, PID: 0A00, Type Designator: RM-1104, Product Code: , Type: Lumia |

Lifttech

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi when I check I have 059X4T8 RM-1085 VAR EURO A1 CV BLACK 000-GB however it says File Type : "CustomerNvItems" what is Customer Nvltems? this should be an unlocked carrier free phone?