What does HP Elite x3 look like?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My Priv has the speaker at the bottom and it slides out......to reveal a keyboard!
Not really a keyboard guy as I had gone through many blackberries at work where keyboards have issues and had to be replaced. They also are great at gathering dust and cheesy puff crumbs... Hehe not that I eat those. But you're out in public a lot and your hands are touching everything so keyboard can get dirty.
But cool you enjoy it.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Not really a keyboard guy as I had gone through many blackberries at work where keyboards have issues and had to be replaced. They also are great at gathering dust and cheesy puff crumbs... Hehe not that I eat those. But you're out in public a lot and your hands are touching everything so keyboard can get dirty.
But cool you enjoy it.

I can imagine all of your phones get dirty with a name like that, poopyfinger ;-)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Mr MacPhisto,

Have you heard any news whether the x3 could potentially be a totally unlocked phone with all the proper CDMA bands so at bare minimum, it could be activated on Verizon? (Ex: The latest Nexus phones)

All info is truly appreciated!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Mr MacPhisto,

Have you heard any news whether the x3 could potentially be a totally unlocked phone with all the proper CDMA bands so at bare minimum, it could be activated on Verizon? (Ex: The latest Nexus phones)

All info is truly appreciated!

It's Snapdragon 820 and that supports all Bands out of the box. It just depends on if HP unlocks it and pays a 3rd party to certify. If they do (or if they have a deal with Verizon - possible since the Elite X2 LTE Surface clone is a VZW exclusive, or so they say) then it will work on Verizon like the Nexus 5X and 6P.

Microsoft could've done that too. They didn't. My guess is that it had everything to do with giving Verizon to other OEMs. It makes a lot of sense for business oriented OEMs since VZW pretty much owns most of the biz market that remains.

Also worth noting is the report that this thing has a fingerprint reader AND an iris scanner. Talk about your dual factor authentication.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
It's Snapdragon 820 and that supports all Bands out of the box. It just depends on if HP unlocks it and pays a 3rd party to certify. If they do (or if they have a deal with Verizon - possible since the Elite X2 LTE Surface clone is a VZW exclusive, or so they say) then it will work on Verizon like the Nexus 5X and 6P.

Microsoft could've done that too. They didn't. My guess is that it had everything to do with giving Verizon to other OEMs. It makes a lot of sense for business oriented OEMs since VZW pretty much owns most of the biz market that remains.

Also worth noting is the report that this thing has a fingerprint reader AND an iris scanner. Talk about your dual factor authentication.

Thank you for the quick response! You'd think HP, especially being a 3rd party manufacturer, would want to get these into as many hands as possible (EX: HTC, Samsung, LG). You'd think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot not paying for the certification to not have their first phone in forever on every possible network, let alone the largest one in the US.

Fingers crossed they make it so, because as a Verizon customer I'll snap this up in a sec regardless of price. It looks to be a beast!

Thanks again!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response! You'd think HP, especially being a 3rd party manufacturer, would want to get these into as many hands as possible (EX: HTC, Samsung, LG). You'd think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot not paying for the certification to not have their first phone in forever on every possible network, let alone the largest one in the US.

Fingers crossed they make it so, because as a Verizon customer I'll snap this up in a sec regardless of price. It looks to be a beast!

Thanks again!

Or they could just have a deal with Verizon. The HP name may make some sense. Things should be easier with Windows 10 separating the cellular stack out and fencing it off. I think that's where problems occurred in the past.

I also tend to think that Verizon wants Windows 10 devices. They have to hedge too. Chances are not great that they could take off, but they don't want AT&T to have any market covered, no matter how small. The problem is that they've long had issues with Nokia and its remnants.

I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon worked more closely with HP to develop a phone like this. We'll probably know more in a week. I'd be very interested in one myself. Also interested to see the price. HP would likely want to deliver value in the segment because they can't get away with an overly high price. They won't take a loss on a device, but they could use their volume to deliver a better overall price. That'll be interesting to see. Can they deliver a large device for $599 or a bit less than that? This is a Note competitor or a 6S+ competitor, so coming in at $600 would be a value in that segment.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Don't think the device will be unlocked out of the box.. Looking over all the specs it's clear, this phone will be priced higher than the 950 series. We might be looking at iPhone prices lol which is a bold move :/ They'll definitely want to hook up with a carrier so they can bring the price down via contracts

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Don't think the device will be unlocked out of the box.. Looking over all the specs it's clear, this phone will be priced higher than the 950 series. We might be looking at iPhone prices lol which is a bold move :/ They'll definitely want to hook up with a carrier so they can bring the price down via contracts

Not sure about that. QHD screens are actually cheaper when they're a bit larger as opposed to smaller. The Snapdragon 820 is actually cheaper than the 810. I think the 950s have healthy margins on them and were priced higher to leave room for OEMs below them. Even the 550 and 650 are priced higher than they should be when you consider their components. Microsoft is no longer going super cheap, they are going higher and giving room to OEMs.

The HP Elite X2 costs the same as the Surface Pro 4, but comes with a keyboard, so it really costs $130 less. The 950XL is the competition for the X3. That XL is only $649. I think HP can hit $599 on this device.

The LG V10 is a 5.7" Quad HD phone with a secondary display. It's $599. I see no reason why this HP cannot come in at that price. Depending on margins, they may be able to get it down as low as $549. It won't be a dirt cheap device, but at $549 it would only be $23 a month on Verizon's 24 month payment plan.

HP needs to make money, but they also need to make it attractively priced. Windows 10 also has an advantage because it is a zero cost license on Mobile. Android is too, but all the Google stuff and patent issues mean that it really isn't a zero dollar license. So I'd argue that could make margins better on W10M.

I have no info on the price. I'm just guessing. I think they could price it at $599 or maybe a little lower while still making money but coming in at an aggressive price point below the 950XL and below other phablets.

LG priced the V10 specifically to undercut the Note. I see HP doing the same and who knows if some of the camera parts, fingerprint scanners, etc aren't shared in other devices and can lower the parts cost.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely don't believe $599 will be enough. I stand by a minimum of around $800.

Sent from mTalk

$800 is way too much. Like I said, the V10 is $599. The G5 is supposed to have a 5.7" screen and an 820 and be $599.

I could see $699 as the highest. But the 820 is cheaper than the 810 was. The QHD screens have gotten cheaper. Memory is cheaper. Storage is cheaper.

Even the Samsung Galaxy Note is $699.

Not a chance this thing is $800 for an OEM trying to break through into a new market. $699 at the worst. $549 at the best.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
HP needs to make money, but they also need to make it attractively priced

This!!! Perfect! I think that's why a lot of people assumed the price would be below the current flagships we have so maybe $450, but like I said after looking at the specs, I didn't think that would be possible. However I did not know that the 820 costs less than the 810

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Kavu2
Tech2 has removed HP Elite X3 pics+specs content until Feb 21
Az Elite X3 lesz a legjobb Windows 10 Mobile phablet | Tech2.hu

----------------------------
"HP's request content of the article has been removed until February 21"
------------------------------

Not too surprising. I think HP is being as hush-hush as possible with this device. My guess is that some of the bigger Windows journalism bigwigs have already been sworn to secrecy with an NDA. Rubino, Mary Jo Foley, Brad Sam's, and Paul Thurott have all been silent on it since the leak.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte