Fierce Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Alright kiddies, This is what I did to get 10586.107 on my Fierce XL. First, the obligatory warnings:

1. I am not responsible if you brick your phone.
  2. This will more than likely void your warranty.
  3. A blast from the past will reside in your splash screen (Not For Resale) in bright red letters.
  4. I know of no possible method to revert to a factory state since there is no recovery image at this time.
  5. If something goes wrong during the process, don't call me for help. As mentioned above, there is no recovery image available.
  6. Make sure your battery is at least 75% charged or keep your phone connected to a charger.
  7. Make sure you're on a stable wi-fi connection while downloading the update.

****Please note that at the end of this exercise your phone will still be an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL, not a Lumia****

The only file you will need is the "roottool.xap which is located at the end of post #1 here:
[JAILBREAK][GUIDE] Interop Unlock for Window… | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

To sideload the app you will need to have the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Lite installed on your PC. The only program you need to run is the Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1. Get the SDK here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5al2of3bnB-WDRrQ3NScXpRdWs/edit?usp=sharing

Now the good stuff!!

If you haven't already done so, install the Windows Insider app from the Store, but DO NOT RUN IT YET.

• Plug your phone into your PC directly via USB, not through a hub.
  • Go to Settings>Update & Security>For Developers and select Developer Mode. Accept all dire warnings regarding Thermonuclear Armageddon.
  • Open the Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1 and click on Browse. Navigate to where you placed the roottool.xap and select it.
  • Click on Deploy and let it do its thing.
  • Root Tools should now appear on your app list.
  • Open Root Tools and at the top will be "All Windows Devices" or words to that effect. Select it.
  • Choose HKLM (Local Machine).
  • By default, the app already navigates to System > Platform > DeviceTargettingInfo which is where we want to be.
  • The default registry value displayed is "phoneManufacturer" and the registry key is blank or displays a zero.
  • If blank, type NOKIA (all caps) and click on "Write". If there's a zero, just delete it and type NOKIA.
  • Using the back button, go to the Root Tools home screen and select All Windows Devices again.
  • Now re-select HKLM and scroll to the bottom and click on "Read". You should see "NOKIA" populate the registry key space.
  • Next, change the registry value and add ModelName to the end so it reads: phoneManufacturerModelName.
  • In the registry key I input RM-893 which is the T-Mobile Lumia 925. I used it for carrier provisioning data, capacitive button mapping and close enough screen resolution.
  • Just like you did with the OEM name change, back out and go back in and select HKLM then click on "Read" to make sure it took.
  • Now, if all went well (it better have) simply back out of the Root Tools app and reboot.
  • After the device comes back alive, go to Settings>System>About and check the model name under Device Information. It should say Nokia Fierce XL
  • Run the Insider app and select Insider Fast Ring. After reboot, go to Settings>Update & Security>Phone Update and let the magic act happen.

That's it! That's all there is to it. Now, you can do whatever you wish but after .107 booted up I immediately did a Hard Reset. I did this to make sure I was back on an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL but with a newer build. You will notice some improvement but remember this device only has a 210-class processor so graphic-intensive tasks will still be a little taxing. Mainly, the Live Tiles will work as God and Microsoft intended them to.

Good luck to all you brave souls.

amcplus5

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Just curious about why I can't just install and run the windows insider app? I did this before seeing your post....but I selected the Insider Release preview option so I am still on 10586.63/

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So far, at l my case, the Recovery tool does not recognize the manufacturer of the XL as Alcatel....so not sure where I go here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There is an app update for the WDRT (3.1.6) that adds support for the Alcatel, the Blu WinHD and WinHD LTE and a Madosma Q501. I have no idea what that Q501 is.

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
There is an app update for the WDRT (3.1.6) that adds support for the Alcatel, the Blu WinHD and WinHD LTE and a Madosma Q501. I have no idea what that Q501 is.

That is the version that I have downloaded and run. The support for the XL in auto detection is not present, it is shown in the instructions for entering Flash Mode, but the phone is not detected by the app.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is the version that I have downloaded and run. The support for the XL in auto detection is not present, it is shown in the instructions for entering Flash Mode, but the phone is not detected by the app.

Have you tried entering Flash Mode first, then connect to PC. Open WDRT > click Not Detected > naviagate to OEM and Device?

Seems to work my BLU. Imma test drive it today.

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone used this on an ALCATEL Fierce XL, and if so what build is it that is available on the servers, don't need to reload .63, was hoping it might be .107.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone used this on an ALCATEL Fierce XL, and if so what build is it that is available on the servers, don't need to reload .63, was hoping it might be .107.

For Alcatel the recovery tool returns the firmware to .63

Just to note:
If the insider app is implemented on the Fierce XL it will update with a reconfiguration of the firmware.
This update won't move the firmware to the latest build.

Insider caused problems for me this is why I recovered my Alcatel.
The device showed instability and it was difficult to soft reset.

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
That's kind of what I figured was the case. To Bad, and also, Yes...I have seen a bit of funky haapenings with the phone since installing Windows Insider, guess it's time for a hard reset and start from scratch. Damn...hate it when vendors lock users out of getting what they need, or want. Guess they just enjoy playing TELEGOD.

Thatnks for the info, appreciate it.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
hate it when vendors lock users out of getting what they need, or want.

I'm pretty sure the Alcatel will soon be added to the list of eligible Insider devices.
Also you may need to fully recover your phone with the recovery tool to debug it completely.

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well Microsoft added to the recovery tool last week, but the only recovery version available is .63, so that really doesn't work. Yeah, I know, resetting it to factory defaults is the only alternative, may just wait and see it it gets any worse with it's intermittent weirdness.

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well...did a complete reset...back to factory..reloaded my backup..no Insider app. Still no .107 update...in fact...no update of any kind. Not happy at the moment.

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Well...did a complete reset...back to factory..reloaded my backup..no Insider app. Still no .107 update...in fact...no update of any kind. Not happy at the moment.

Just use WDRT to get .63 and wait for the next update, it shouldn't be that far.

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, thinking that's the next step...jeeeez, hate how these providers (TM and the rest) make us have to jump through such hoops. We pay enough for their service, once we own the phone..it's should be ours to do with what we want, when we want, not when they decide and not what they dictate. I know, I know...its a never ending argument and debate. Most likely always will be.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo