Should I swap my 640 for a 830?

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I've an opportunity to swap my 3 daya old Lumia 640 for a 830. Should I do it? I really have no complaints about the 640 other than only 8gb internal memory.

Is it worth switching?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any reason why you should. The 640 has 8gb internal but there is the SD option. The 640 has a bigger battery as well. However the 830 does have a 10 mp camera vs the 8mp on the 640, but I haven't heard any complaints

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If you however want QI Charging and 16 GB internal memory you should change. I for example would swap it because I really like wireless charging and the larger internal memory. Specially if you can swap it without paying extra. And if you really do not like it sell the 830 and buy a 640. If you do this you even can earn some money.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I cant judge cos I own a 640XL and 520 and have never owned or use either a 640 or 830.... But if I can Swap my 640XL for a 950XL I wouldn't mind.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I've been reading a bit on this. Looks like battery would be the big difference. 640 has a much linger standby time. Ive seen this since I bought it. It easily lasts a full day amd I'm a heavy user.

Looks like 830 will not have the same battery life. That could be a big reason why I won't switch

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
The 640 is a easy choice. The only thing they 830 has better in my opinion is the design. But I put a case on everything so t wouldn't matter

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
With the ability to store apps on an SD card the space difference is mostly not an issue. From entering I've read in forums the battery life seems to be consistently better on the 640 but I've never owned an 830 so I can't give my experience. The other main thing is the camera. The 830 has a better camera but whether or not this is a big deal is up to you. I would think that it comes down to whether you actually need more internal storage and/or better camera at the expense of battery life.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The camera on the 830 is marginally better, but not fantastically so.

I just picked up 2 Lumia 640s for $30 each when Walmart had their sale that lasted for a few hours. As cheap as SD cards are, and seeing as how you can store the maps on the SD card using Windows 10 Mobile now, I can't justify the vast price difference just to get 16GB internal RAM plus a marginally better camera. I use a case, so the design is of no consequence to me, and certainly not worth the many, many extra dollars spent for practically no gain.

Just my opinion.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
If price is similiar, then 830 any day. Wireless charging, more sensor cores and (slightly) superior camera... and I like the feel amd heft.

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I like the look of the 830 better but I've heard more good things about the 640 battery and SD slot. And I need a phone to last me through my day and my 640 has done just that for me. I just came from an iPhone in December and I'm not regretting a thing. I love my phone and windows 10 mobile.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
How's the battery on 830 compared to 640? Is this significantly worse? This will be the key for me to make a choice. I'm getting the same price foe the 830 as my 640

Sent from mTalk

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
The battery is 300 milliamps smaller in the 830 so it's not significant but I've only got experience with my Lumia 640 so I can only speak for it. And I'm quite satisfied. I'm a power user, Bluetooth location on streaming music ect all day and it lasts me.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
The battery is 300 milliamps smaller in the 830 so it's not significant but I've only got experience with my Lumia 640 so I can only speak for it. And I'm quite satisfied. I'm a power user, Bluetooth location on streaming music ect all day and it lasts me.

That's what im seeing too on my 640. From what I read, 830 will not last the while day for a power user like me. Battery management seems to be much better on 640. That's my worry

Sent from mTalk

Cosmyc

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Both the 640 and the 830 have the same SoC and the same type, size and screen resolution , power management should be very similar. It should be like a ~15% less battery life on the 830 side but you gain a better quality display panel with full glance and full ClearBlack, two HAAC microphones, a very good camera with Zeiss, PureView and OIS, even better than the one on the 640 XL, better design, more sensors, 16GB of storage, wireless charging... I'll take the 830 all the way if I were you, if battery life it's not enough I will buy a second spare battery for the 830, anyway the difference in battery is minimal compared to the 640.

Last edited:

rose58

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
One more thing , If you choose the RM 983 Model ( AT&T version ) you may have to update to the full Denim upgrade yourself thru the Windows Device Recovery Tool as I had to do. I do not have AT& T as my Cell Provider. AT & T does not want anything to do with you as far as updates if you are not a customer.

As far as the phone itself I can tell you IMO the main advantage to the 830. ( my wife has the 640 ) Its the camera , the quality of pictures is way better on the 830, many people have remarked about the photos I have taken. I paid $249 for my 830, you can buy the 640 for $ 59. The 830 is just too expensive for the extras it provides.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
If the 830 new was the same price or extremely close (~$10 or so) I would probably go for the 830. But if we are talking used 830 for this price vs new 640, then 640 since I would have a warranty.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I own l640, but also had l830 for a while. When both on Denim then battery life seems to be quite similar, based on gsmarena tests they are just few hours different, but the talk time is much longer on l640. I must say that the l830 is much prettier in look, but now I love my l640, because I don't have to worry about this phone (price)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had both until last week. Get the 830 if it's a straight trade...no brainer there. The 640 is a tad faster due to the newer Update 2 firmware. Outside of that the 830 its miles better overall.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I've an opportunity to swap my 3 daya old Lumia 640 for a 830. Should I do it? I really have no complaints about the 640 other than only 8gb internal memory.

Is it worth switching?

Yes, it is worth it.

Pros:-
1.Lumia 830 has an elegant design with aluminium frame which will make you fall in love with it.
2.It has 16GB ROM + MicroSD support.
3.It has Qi wireless charging and NFC.
4.It has 10 MP rear camera but it is better than 13 MP Android camera phones. It has PureView technology and ZEISS optics. It also has the signature two stage camera shutter key.
5.It supports Full HD video recording at 60fps. It also has rear mic for better audio recording.
6.It has hardware navigation keys instead of onscreen software keys. They seriously look good and they don't interfere with the display like when playing games or watching videos. Software keys need to be hidden again and again and they can be easily accidentally touched.
7.It has the signature ?NOKIA? branding :wink:

Cons:-
1.A certain batch of Lumia 830 units had a serious manufacturing defect. The glass screen is detached from the metal frame at one of the top two corners which resulted it the IR sensor and accelerometer to not work properly. I too had got such a unit but was replaced under warranty. But by now the warranty would be of no use because you might not get a replacement product from Microsoft as they seem to have stopped its production. They might simply stick the screen again and give you back. You might get such a defective piece. Be careful.
2.It has only 0.9 MP front camera. The selfies taken may be grainy if the lighting conditions are not good. But still it's got wide angle and 720p video recording.
3.The metal corners are very soft and so might get dented/flattened if the phone falls on them. Mine has got 3 flat corners.
4.The back cover is very smooth. It might cause your palms to sweat which might disgust and bother you.
5.The phone often gets very hot while extensive usage or charging. The frame being of metal, also conducts heat making it very uncomfortable to hold the phone.
6.It supports very few LTE bands. So it might not support your carrier's LTE network as in my case :unhappy:
7.The glass is very prone to smudges and scratches.

One or two cons might bother you a little but not the rest. Anyways, the phone is very great to use. I have been using it for 9 months straight and it is my primary phone. You should not lose the deal if it is promising. Good luck :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb