Should I swap my 640 for a 830?

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Lack of LTE bands might be a big issue for me. Not sure whether I'll try LTE on Koodo here in Canada.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Lack of LTE bands might be a big issue for me. Not sure whether I'll try LTE on Koodo here in Canada.

Sent from mTalk
Check out frequencycheck.com to see if the bands will work for your provider. It's not set in stone, but it at least gives an idea.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Sent from mTalk
The RM-983 (AT&T unlocked) and RM-985 (unlocked Americas variant) will get you LTE. Check if the trade would provide you one if those two variants.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Also, in my experience with the 735 (which has the same bands as the 830), having a phone that has AWS is pointless if it can't be activated. For me, that was the biggest downfall, which made me return the phone. I could have found that out for myself if I just checked frequencycheck, but you live and you learn, right?

Edit: It supports AWS, but not for LTE. In my area, it was always either LTE or Edge, no in-between. YMMV, but still check out that website.

sikurunana

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, it is worth it.

Pros:-
1.Lumia 830 has an elegant design with aluminium frame which will make you fall in love with it.
2.It has 16GB ROM + MicroSD support.
3.It has Qi wireless charging and NFC.
4.It has 10 MP rear camera but it is better than 13 MP Android camera phones. It has PureView technology and ZEISS optics. It also has the signature two stage camera shutter key.
5.It supports Full HD video recording at 60fps. It also has rear mic for better audio recording.
6.It has hardware navigation keys instead of onscreen software keys. They seriously look good and they don't interfere with the display like when playing games or watching videos. Software keys need to be hidden again and again and they can be easily accidentally touched.
7.It has the signature ?NOKIA? branding :wink:

Cons:-
1.A certain batch of Lumia 830 units had a serious manufacturing defect. The glass screen is detached from the metal frame at one of the top two corners which resulted it the IR sensor and accelerometer to not work properly. I too had got such a unit but was replaced under warranty. But by now the warranty would be of no use because you might not get a replacement product from Microsoft as they seem to have stopped its production. They might simply stick the screen again and give you back. You might get such a defective piece. Be careful.
2.It has only 0.9 MP front camera. The selfies taken may be grainy if the lighting conditions are not good. But still it's got wide angle and 720p video recording.
3.The metal corners are very soft and so might get dented/flattened if the phone falls on them. Mine has got 3 flat corners.
4.The back cover is very smooth. It might cause your palms to sweat which might disgust and bother you.
5.The phone often gets very hot while extensive usage or charging. The frame being of metal, also conducts heat making it very uncomfortable to hold the phone.
6.It supports very few LTE bands. So it might not support your carrier's LTE network as in my case :unhappy:
7.The glass is very prone to smudges and scratches.

One or two cons might bother you a little but not the rest. Anyways, the phone is very great to use. I have been using it for 9 months straight and it is my primary phone. You should not lose the deal if it is promising. Good luck :smile:

I have dropped my 830 multiple times and not had a single scratch on my screen. The front camera quality is good for video calls and even selfies if you have enough light.
I support all the pro's here. Also let me add to this, that you can further improve the photo quality of the images taken by using either OneShot or Camera360 Sight apps.

Hands down go for the 830, simply because it's a Nokia! ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077