Why can't I open the apps from my SD card

Emart 1

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I installed Windows Mobile 10.0.10586.107and now I can't open apps that are in the SD card. I have an unlocked Lumia 640XL. The phone and apps were working fine prior to the update last night. I also cannot download apps from the store. I keep getting error messages like 0x80073CF9 errors. I can't even reinstal spotify. Thank you.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I installed Windows Mobile 10.0.10586.107and now I can't open apps that are in the SD card. I have an unlocked Lumia 640XL. The phone and apps were working fine prior to the update last night. I also cannot download apps from the store. I keep getting error messages like 0x80073CF9 errors. I can't even reinstal spotify. Thank you.

Happened to me too. It has no workaround. Hard reset your phone after backing up your apps and settings to cloud and other files like media to an external storage. Then hard reset your phone along with formatting the SD card.
You may restore the cloud backup so that all your apps get reinstalled automatically.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Usually after an update apps installed on an SD card take a while to become usable. How long has it been after the update? Are you able to move those apps to your phone memory and back to SD card using Storage Sense?

Emart 1

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
pankaj981. It has been well over 24 hours. All the apps show as ready to use but when I touch they do not open. All the apps that were on the phone are fine though (mostly core apps) I tried moving the app to the phone but I also get an error message saying the operation cannot be done. I actually like the 10 version and this is the first time I've had an issue with it. Thanks for your help.

Emart 1

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Deepak_HK. I will have to do the reset. Does the reset bring me back to 8.1 or does it go back to 10? Thank you for your response.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Deepak_HK. I will have to do the reset. Does the reset bring me back to 8.1 or does it go back to 10? Thank you for your response.

It will just erase your storage and will make the same OS as good as new quashing all errors and useless files. It won't revert back to previous OS or build. Better if you have WiFi in case you have too many apps. After hard reset, the apps will be installed again. If you backup them to the cloud then their settings or game progress will be restored. But not all apps and games support cloud backup. Candy Crush and its likes do.

Usually after an update apps installed on an SD card take a while to become usable. How long has it been after the update? Are you able to move those apps to your phone memory and back to SD card using Storage Sense?

In my case I had waited for more than a week. My patience died. The problem was fixed following a hard reset. I regretted waiting for a week. I had also been told to wait.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well if it were me then i would hard reset, pain in the short term but preferable in the long run. So yes, I agree Deepak, hard reset is the way to go if Emart1 has the patience to go thru the effort.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, except my SD card is useless now. I reset the phone and SD card but i cannot erase it's content not from the phone or pc. I can't format it either. Phone is alright. Help!

Franmartin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
It happens with most of the updates. The best solution however is to take a complete backup and keep it at some remote location like cloud or some external storage devices. Once the update is complete, copy the apps or files to your phone's internal memory. After then transfer your files to external SD card.

vulp3

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, except my SD card is useless now. I reset the phone and SD card but i cannot erase it's content not from the phone or pc. I can't format it either. Phone is alright. Help!
I'm in the same situation. If somebody fixed this, please share.

jes1888

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same situation. If somebody fixed this, please share.
In my case, it turned out to bea defective memory card. I called the company (PNY) and s explained the problem that the card had and they said it was defective so they created an RMA and replaced it. I just reset my phone and put the new one and I am good to go. I still think the OS bricked the card, or at least the process of upgrading, but it doesn't matter now. I would recommend you to go this route if you still have warranty and the receipt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs