W10 mobile .107 Preview Build on Lumia 1020

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Last weekend I decided to give W10 mobile a try. I was prepared to go back to W8.1 and made sure the phone could be detected using Windows Device Recovery Tool and that everything was backed up on OneDrive. I have an unlocked Lumia 1020 ATT-US RM-877 running on Cricket Wireless. It is my daily driver.

With the phone fully charged, on AC power, and connected to WiFi, the download went rather fast. Thereafter it was a nail biter. I had the gears churning for about 1.5 hours. After the phone went through its final restart, the next step was the downloading of all the apps. During this process, the phone was running slow between screens. I went through the Settings menu and made all the adjustments I needed. Turned off most apps from running in the background, too. Reorganized the start screen. Made sure email accounts were running as before. I went through several soft resets.

It took about 24-48 hours for things to settle in. At first there were several hiccups with Messaging opening then closing and various apps seemed unstable. However, after more soft resets and updating of apps, everything is now running smoothly. Battery drain was high on the first day but is now appearing to be rather typical for my use. Hotspot works fine. All my apps work, including TuneIn radio. In general the phone runs smoothly.

First impressions:
My biggest gripe is all the wasted real estate on the screen. The icons are smaller than on 8.1. Layouts are not efficient, e.g. the Speed dial list shows fewer numbers than on 8.1 (my font size is set to the largest on both 8.1 and 10). The small round pictures are pretty useless compared to the square ones on 8.1 Likewise when in a call, 8.1 would show the full picture which allowed me to easily verify who I dialed.
The Edge browser is a mess, no question. No home page. Pinned pages only show a blue tile, not a picture of the page as on 8.1. Large font layouts are awkward. It's not an intuitive browser.

Most of my issues so far are with the wasted space in layouts. Otherwise, I like WM10. The customization options are excellent (for WM 8 - customization was one of the biggest gripes). Page transitions are smooth. Battery life is reasonable. I do not use glance. Office 360 apps work, unlike 8.1 where I had problems viewing Excel files. Camera works fine. There are three camera apps, Lumia Camera, Lumia Camera Classic and the standard Camera app. On the 1020, I have not yet determined the difference between the Lumia Camera and Lumia Camera Classic. Time will tell for those.

In sum, so far it's a keeper for my L1020. If things change, I will post more.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Last weekend I decided to give W10 mobile a try. I was prepared to go back to W8.1 and made sure the phone could be detected using Windows Device Recovery Tool and that everything was backed up on OneDrive. I have an unlocked Lumia 1020 ATT-US RM-877 running on Cricket Wireless. It is my daily driver.

With the phone fully charged, on AC power, and connected to WiFi, the download went rather fast. Thereafter it was a nail biter. I had the gears churning for about 1.5 hours. After the phone went through its final restart, the next step was the downloading of all the apps. During this process, the phone was running slow between screens. I went through the Settings menu and made all the adjustments I needed. Turned off most apps from running in the background, too. Reorganized the start screen. Made sure email accounts were running as before. I went through several soft resets.

It took about 24-48 hours for things to settle in. At first there were several hiccups with Messaging opening then closing and various apps seemed unstable. However, after more soft resets and updating of apps, everything is now running smoothly. Battery drain was high on the first day but is now appearing to be rather typical for my use. Hotspot works fine. All my apps work, including TuneIn radio. In general the phone runs smoothly.

First impressions:
My biggest gripe is all the wasted real estate on the screen. The icons are smaller than on 8.1. Layouts are not efficient, e.g. the Speed dial list shows fewer numbers than on 8.1 (my font size is set to the largest on both 8.1 and 10). The small round pictures are pretty useless compared to the square ones on 8.1 Likewise when in a call, 8.1 would show the full picture which allowed me to easily verify who I dialed.
The Edge browser is a mess, no question. No home page. Pinned pages only show a blue tile, not a picture of the page as on 8.1. Large font layouts are awkward. It's not an intuitive browser.

Most of my issues so far are with the wasted space in layouts. Otherwise, I like WM10. The customization options are excellent (for WM 8 - customization was one of the biggest gripes). Page transitions are smooth. Battery life is reasonable. I do not use glance. Office 360 apps work, unlike 8.1 where I had problems viewing Excel files. Camera works fine. There are three camera apps, Lumia Camera, Lumia Camera Classic and the standard Camera app. On the 1020, I have not yet determined the difference between the Lumia Camera and Lumia Camera Classic. Time will tell for those.

In sum, so far it's a keeper for my L1020. If things change, I will post more.

you can change the scaling to reduce text size or change screen layout

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
It's been about 4 days since installing WM10 with Release Preview 107 on the Lumia 1020. So far, I will keep it. I have had no problems with the battery. With battery saver on, I still have 80% left at noon. By 6:30, I still have about 30%. This is also with glance set to 30 sec. This is slightly better drain than on W8.1

Overall the phone works well. I still do not like Edge, but the overall customization and function is good. Camera functions are good too.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
make sure you are signed out of Skype, both Video and Application (a real battery drainer), when signing out, make your you actually "SEE" you are signed out, sometimes it can take a few seconds.
I'm getting good usage from battery now, but still really annoyed no stereo recording with either camera

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey I have a 640... I noticed you didn't hard reset... Would it be risky to do the same on my device?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey I have a 640... I noticed you didn't hard reset... Would it be risky to do the same on my device?
No, not risky unless the update had not completed properly and a hard reset might bring you to the endless cogs screen. In that case you'll have to restore using WDRT.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
any new updates on running the latest w10 update?

Thought I had an issue with MMS (I didn't) Skype video never worked.
SO.... did a hard reset, everything went well, Skype video now works. I am very happy with everything (even battery life).
The only thing that annoys me is recording video in MONO, if that was fixed, it would feel very complete

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
cool, I don't video record that much so that's a non issue. I guess I am switching tonight. I don't use skype either...so, another non issue as well. I am glad battery life is back on w10 as well.

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
A week after installing over 8.1, I decided to do a hard reset to see if anything changes. I lost a few apps such as TuneIn radio but switched to Radionomy. The phone does run better for me with a hard reset.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, just got through another restartable gear grinding update over night. If it's better than it was yesterday, I am REALLY IMPRESSED!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos