M8 on the way

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
So my blessed 1520 finally has given me enough fits to consider a new phone. I I had a choice of three. Lumia 640, IPhone 6 plus or HTC M8. I really hate the app gap on windows platform but at the same time the os does what I need it to so. So I took the plunge called insurance to replace my 1520. They are sending me the M8. being that this is my first HTC tell me I'll be happy coming from a 1520. I will say at least otterbox makes a case for it. Trying to find case for Lumia and Nokia is nuts :(.

Oh and I'm sporting windows 10 in the 1520

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Sweet! I have a 640. Great device, but the M8 and 1520 are on a whole different level.

Wanna install 10 on mine but I guess I might as well wait for the final release.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
The M8 is a great phone. I bought one for my niece and she loves it. I am actually thinking about selling my 950 and picking up another M8 for myself.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
The M8 does almost everything well. The build quality is great, screen is very good, processor is fast enough, has tap on and off built in and battery life is pretty good. It's only weak spot is it's camera and it's not terrible.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I got one to test drive because I have Lumia fatigue, and more importantly, I've always had an HTC windows phone. I like having it as a spare to my moto Maxx so far.

Very underrated phone, especially with Windows 10 TP.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info folks. Makes me feel better about getting this thing in. I was a little hesitant on doing it, but it sounds like good direction especially with the space.

Any Draw backs on Windows 10 on it? My biggest flaw on my 1520 is my Microphone went out on it sadly.. So only way I could talk to people was via Bluetooth.

One question I saw the M8 has Infrared on it, My Samsung Galaxy S4 had this option and it was fun to use with Televisions for that time where I couldn't find the remotes. Is this feature accessible on M8?

arct1cblu3

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Had an ATIV SE but sold it then went back to android, a few days ago saw an HTC One M8 at really really good price and bought it, just received 20 min ago and SUPRIIIIISE is Windows Phone, the seller had it like an andorid device LOL. My main device is a Xperia Z2 but I like both OS and hope HTC get the W10 officially this device is beautiful.

bdchambers79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
W10 on the m8 is great, especially the latest build which vastly improves battery life. The only downside is the camera, which doesn't live up to Lumia, but at least matches the Motorola phones I've had.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
So asurion being the awesome people they are. Sent me the HTC A9. She tried to argue with me and say thry send me a comparable phone and I said I understand the specs are the same but android vs windows um to the he'll with android. So I wait again for my new device :(. I hope they get it out the door for tomorrow like this one was.

Sent from mTalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So asurion being the awesome people they are. Sent me the HTC A9. She tried to argue with me and say thry send me a comparable phone and I said I understand the specs are the same but android vs windows um to the he'll with android. So I wait again for my new device :(. I hope they get it out the door for tomorrow like this one was.

Sent from mTalk

Hope you are not a camera person. Definitely will be HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED coming from a Lumia(or even Samsung's Windows phone). It's an alright device, I suppose.

I probably would have taken the Lumia 640 or even better just taken the iPhone 6 they offered you and then sell it for like $400 and in the meantime get a lumia 640 for like $30 and then add a hundred or so with it to get the new Lumia 950 tbh.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Get a ghostek blitz case. Way less bulky than an otterbox, and excellent case. It's not entirely waterproof, because it has a cutout for the camera on the plastic screen saver part. It's a great case, and probably 1/4th the cost of an otterbox to boot.

The M8 is a very nice phone, with a great screen, and very fast processor.

The front facing speakers are awesome. you've never heard sound like that from any phone with rear speakers - Lumia or otherwise.

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've heard multiple things on the camera bring bad but hopefully thry are okay. Coming from a 1520 I'm assuming it is a little rough.

On the case don't care about bulk so much. I have a two year old at home that doesn't hesitate to oick up a phone and chew or launch it lol. So as much as I put it out of his reach I need something to withstand a drop too lol waterproof isn't an issue I don't submerge it. Never had a waterproof case.

I am a bit of an audiophile so I am curious on the sound.

Any issues with Bluetooth?

Sent from mTalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Not a fan of the audio on Windows 10. Via the speakers, audio is good. Via headphone jack, it is OK...just not loud enough even when boomsound enabled. If you've got the right audio equipment, the M8 will do just fine.

Micah, long time no see. The M8 wipes the floor with Lumias in terms sound quality, even with the issues i pointed out. The camera is OK. Not Lumia good, but better than people give it credit for. You do know some people like Windows without the Lumia line, right?

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

Last edited:

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The M8 Windows phone is a great device, by far the best Windows phone I have owned and I have owned a few of them. It runs Windows 10 great and I get 2 full days of battery life, The camera is ok as long as you don't zoom in on anything, it Pixilated pretty bad the more you zoom in. All in all, I think you will be happy with your choice.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
being that this is my first HTC tell me I'll be happy coming from a 1520.

Lower your expectations as far as the camera is concerned. If the camera had been better I wouldn't have traded in my M8 for a 640. Crazy to some I'm sure for me to go from the M8 to the 640, but the camera on the 640 was better.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
M8 has been very good for me and Win10 has worked well. On occasion I've needed to reboot because of weird things happening but those times have been rare. Sadly I've dropped it way too many times but the good thing is, it hasn't done any damage. I just got an Otter Box in today and that makes the phone feel more solid. I've had my M8 for about a year and a half and couldn't have been happier.

Sent from my Surface 3

NVMY03ION

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Well the M8 came today and I have to say I'm no further today than I was 2 days ago. Thry sent a completely refurbished unit to me. The box was barely taped together the phone was in a plastic baggy. I see no wearable signs on the phone but seriously a refurbished unit. I'm tempted to send it back and just pick up a 640... This irritates me. 100.00 for a return phone :(. Thoughts?

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss