[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten Lumia 650?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've just unpacked the 650 that came though. First impressions are good, I love the build quality and kind of wish that my 950 had the same design of chassis (i.e. metal with a replaceable backplate as opposed to the whole case back.

I have very weak WiFi here in the office so things aren't as slick as they could be. I've also not got a spare SIM to use as yet.

I'll update this mini-review when I get a good signal and everything's all updated.

Please feel free to ask any questions though and I'll do my best to answer.

WP_20160222_08_25_17_Rich_LI.jpg

mackiemesser

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Hey Pete,
could you check what happens with the phone when you plug in a headphone, a headset (with mic) or just a line-out cable to your stereo?
Mine 650 reacts with an error-message (Error-code: 0x8007045d). Don't know if this is a software-bug or a hardware fault.

BR...M

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Music plays just fine when I plug headphones in.

I've updated to build .107 and updated all my apps.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
From what I see, the error code 0x8007045d relates to a network/download issue.

What happens if you play music without headphones? Will it play through the speakers?

Bear in mind that error codes can be the same for a variety of issues.

mackiemesser

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Music plays fine through the speakers. It happens when i plug in the phones when the music is playing. When i have the phones plugged in before i hit 'play' the track won't even start. It also happens to youtube-clips: The error-message is there: "Can't decode video".

I'm on the build: 10.0.10586.29
Did you receive build .107 through the normal update-function?

mackiemesser

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Hey Pete,
I just sent a mp3-file to my phone and downloaded to the device: There the headphones WORK!
You were getting me on the right path with the network/download-issue! :wink:
But it's remains to be pretty weird that media can't be streamed when sth is plugged into the headphone-jack.
Hope the next build will resolve this issue.

EDIT:
Oh wow...and now: The streaming also works! (So I had to playback a file from the phone FIRST, to get a streaming function to work. What a bug)

Thanks mate, for your quick reply!

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have to say not impressed that the 650 is micro USB and not type C usb charging. I do think the design should have been the same for the 950 and 950 xl as it is nicer with the band that complete plastic.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I agree with the USB-C comment. I guess that would have added cost. But then micro-USB has more charging options.

flohdaniel

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I like the very light but massive build quality, and the bright and responsive display with glance. Batterylife seems good too, phone looks very pretty. Absolutely gorgeus for the price.
Performance isn't the best, but okay for daily use. I'll keep it.
IMG_6000.JPG

r0st4

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
So, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that Lumia 650 is way prettier than Lumia 950? When I first saw both the phones side by side I couldn't help it but laugh. I'm not saying that 950 is ugly, but this much cheaper 650 simply looks stunning. Which is somehting 950 can only dream of.

anon(9813806)

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
So, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that Lumia 650 is way prettier than Lumia 950? When I first saw both the phones side by side I couldn't help it but laugh. I'm not saying that 950 is ugly, but this much cheaper 650 simply looks stunning. Which is somehting 950 can only dream of.

I'm pretty sure you're not the only one. It definitely looks gorgeous, I really hope Microsoft will stick with this design for the Surface Phone.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
i just got one yesterday and love it, very nice phone indeed. but i miss double tap to wake HEY MICROSOFT why older models got it and not the new ones??? wake up!!!

XToro

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had my 650 for 5 days now, and this is by far the best Lumia I've owned, and the price cannot be beat! I'm surprised how good this phone is considering it's by far the cheapest Lumia I've purchased(This is my 5th). I've owned an 800, a 920, and now the 650. I've also bought my wife the 900 and she now has the 830.

I would call the 650 a flagship phone, right up there with the 950's. It's definitely better in hardware and build when compared to my old 920 and my wife's 830. Perhaps the 650 would be the "low-end flagship" and the 950 the high-end flagship. They should have called it the 940, or 945 because it definitely has the build of a flagship, just lower hardware specs. But I do see how they can't call it a flagship because it's missing things like Windows Hello, and the ability for Cortana to respond to "Hey Cortana" commands. These features are only possible in higher end processors.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
just got a 650 as a present.

it seems to work ok, but its not going to replace my windows LG quantum with 7.5.

it doesnt have a hardware keyboard, and the back seems very flimsy.

at least i can see what windows 10 is like.

so far it seems to be working well.

later

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a 3 year, 4 month old Lumia 810 (the shortest supported phone EVER, thank you T-Horrible :angry:) to the 650, I am very pleased with what I got. My 810 took a NASTY fall and for once the screen shattered (it has taken many tumbles through it's life and came back rather unscathed. Even falling off my motorcycle in a parking lot at 10 mph, watching it bounce in my rear view mirror was sickening, but picking it up only had a cracked lens which was amazing).

I just got it yesterday, and have been playing around with it extensively (trying all settings, features, etc.) and it's doing great, once I got everything updated (I did a fresh reset and set it up as a new phone, instead of using the old WP8.1 backup).

The four things I do miss, so far. 1. Double tap to wake. 2. Wireless Qi charging. 3. Dedicated camera button. 4. 802.11 ac (5gHz) Wi-Fi. The lack of Qi charging is my biggest disappointment (personally I think MS should make it a default feature on all their phones to make them stand out). But I will adapt, as I always do.

I'm one that keeps my "toys" for quite awhile (as you may have noticed on how long I was rocking the 810), and I think I will be quite content with this phone. I'm not a huge "power user" on the phone side, so as long as it does the basics well (phone, messaging, photos, OneNote), and let's me check my news, maps/navigation, and an occasional time killing game, I'm happy.

The reason for me for going with the 650 was price. I just didn't want shell out $$$ this time. I wanted to keep it $ or $$ price wise. Also, I want to hold out to see what the next cycle of phones will look like in 2017 (Surface phone?). For once I might upgrade quickly if they look good and are reasonably priced.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to add a MAJOR issue that just popped up.

My Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet system does NOT work with voice commands. This is a big thing for me, as my motorcycle is my main mode of transportation, and not having voice recognition is stressing me out. The setup worked fine on my 810 in WP8.0 and WP8.1, but just not with this setup. I have a feeling that it's most likely an O/S issue.

I might go back to the MS Store and try pairing it up with another phone to see if it works tomorrow. I'll try the floor models, if they will let me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon