New user - app recommendations needed & help!

mmarksx19

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Just got my 950XL yesterday having gone through a raft of iPhone, Android and, most recently, a Blackberry Passport.
Liking the phone in general (although the 'new' factor always help) but have a couple of questions and the need for some app recommendations.

Firstly the help needed.

How do I set the phone up with the concept of 'profiles'? Being on-call, I need for phone calls (and ideally text messages) to come through night or day but I don't want alerts from any other app waking me up. During the day I would like my emails to make the phone beep so I can read them.

I am a big podcast listener but everytime I open up the podcast app (built into the phone) - it just closes again. Is it a known fault or am I doing something wrong?

Now for the app recommendations. I am looking for a fuel tracker app (for UK use). Struggling to find in the store things like last updated to know if it is a current app. Where do I find this and can anybody recommend a fuel tracking app? Also looking for Salesforce which I had on Android, iPhone and Blackberry. How do I access Salesforce on my 950XL?

Many thanks.

Michael

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Go into Cortana ,notebook and set up quiet hours,edit the breakthrough list and only allow the contact you need to hear from,all other messages /apps will not make a sound whilst quiet hours are activated,as for apps i don't use many but maybe someone else can help
Originally posted by mmarksx19
Hi all,

Just got my 950XL yesterday having gone through a raft of iPhone, Android and, most recently, a Blackberry Passport.
Liking the phone in general (although the 'new' factor always help) but have a couple of questions and the need for some app recommendations.

Firstly the help needed.

How do I set the phone up with the concept of 'profiles'? Being on-call, I need for phone calls (and ideally text messages) to come through night or day but I don't want alerts from any other app waking me up. During the day I would like my emails to make the phone beep so I can read them.

I am a big podcast listener but everytime I open up the podcast app (built into the phone) - it just closes again. Is it a known fault or am I doing something wrong?

Now for the app recommendations. I am looking for a fuel tracker app (for UK use). Struggling to find in the store things like last updated to know if it is a current app. Where do I find this and can anybody recommend a fuel tracking app? Also looking for Salesforce which I had on Android, iPhone and Blackberry. How do I access Salesforce on my 950XL?

Many thanks.

Michael

M4cc45

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Profiles is a little difficult. The best you could do is quiet hours under cortana (yes it's a stupid place and requires location services as well which is even more stupid) and add people and numbers to the break through list.

I don't know about any fuel tracking apps though.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Nobody?
I know I'm being impatient but I really can't figure out these things and (I promise) I have done a search!

Welcome mmaarksx to windows central, most can be done with a little bit of work, under setting's, you will see notifications for setting app sounds email, text message alerts, also note in each app you will find setting's so go to message app for text message, outlook mail for email, this is one area to look at. Another area would be Cortana, settings,notebook,quite hours you can set up for contacts you want to be able to wake you up and one's you don't. Hope this helps a little.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
If you go to the store, go to the hamburger menu and choose "my library". This list will show you the date of the app, game, etc. And if there is a newer one, there will be a download arrow on the right side.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't use podcasts, but sometimes having too many apps open can cause troubles. Press and hold the"back arrow". This will show small windows with an x that you can click to close that window. See if closing them all helps.

mmarksx19

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I did discover 'quiet time' but I don't know who will call me, Could be any of our customers (and I don't have them all as contacts), plus could be their office phone, mobile, home, withheld number. What I need in quiet hours is for ALL calls (and preferably text messages) to come through.
I could change the settings for my 3 email accounts and other apps that beep but that would mean changing them all twice a day or when in meetings.

Given that this is the 'flagship' phone, is there really no way to silence all alerts except phone calls? This could be a show stopper (and somewhat disappointing as I was able to do this on every previous smartphone right back to Nokia S60 phones).

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I did discover 'quiet time' but I don't know who will call me, Could be any of our customers (and I don't have them all as contacts), plus could be their office phone, mobile, home, withheld number. What I need in quiet hours is for ALL calls (and preferably text messages) to come through.
I could change the settings for my 3 email accounts and other apps that beep but that would mean changing them all twice a day or when in meetings.

Given that this is the 'flagship' phone, is there really no way to silence all alerts except phone calls? This could be a show stopper (and somewhat disappointing as I was able to do this on every previous smartphone right back to Nokia S60 phones).

Yes there is a way to silence all sounds and alerts when going to a meeting I use all the time, Just push and hold volume down it will go to vibrate your done. Now depends on how you have your sounds set in each app, email,message,ect you will still see notifications on your lock screen. Now another way when you start to get better at playing with your settings is when you set up on your calendar a appointment for business meeting 9:00-11:00 your phone will automatic go to silence during that time.

mmarksx19

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Really appreciate the responses but I still don't resolve the problem that I need phone calls from anyone to come through at any time but not other alerts during meetings or overnight. If there was an option in quiet hours for all calls then that would be perfect!

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Really appreciate the responses but I still don't resolve the problem that I need phone calls from anyone to come through at any time but not other alerts during meetings or overnight. If there was an option in quiet hours for all calls then that would be perfect!

You can submit your suggestion to Windows Feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99